There’s no grace period for Mike McCarthy

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That and if Garrett's longevity was any indication at all, possibly more. ;)
Garrett’s longevity was more about Jerry’s project trying to prove he could win without a proven HC receiving more credit.

Jerry won’t have as much patience with a more experienced or proven HC.

Good News is Jerry will probably continue spinning the wheel or go with another unproven puppet like Moore. I tend to think he chose MM to just shut up the critics.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The lack of off season preparation of having a new HC and staff, schemes will hurt more than many realize.
You know how that will go with some on here. :laugh:

But same here, I will not be saying, wrong move by Jerry. In the long run, over the next 5 years, it will prove to be the right move.

Agree.

This off season is NOT looking good.

1] Dak holding out for $$$. Wont even talk to CDL.

2] MikeM was holed up in Green Bay most of the offseason due to the virus scare/scam.

3] We have MIke Nolan as the DC.

4] We have a new OL coach, Philbin, who wants to "fix" the blocking scheme.

5] our Assistant Head Coach isn't even a coach.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There shouldn’t be a grace period. We’ve got an experienced staff and a competitive roster.

Big_D

Reaction score
I want to see what he does in a 5 year window. Sure I'd love to see them going beyond the wild card round in 2020, but it's still year one when you have to institute a system and develop players etc. The approach, the preparation, the practice, everything's new for players and coaches. Seems unrealistic specially without a legit offseason. We went from a 10 year HC with no expectations at all, to a first year HC where we can finally have some. I just think they need to be tempered a little. What I want to see is smarter coaching, better defense, turnovers, plus the development of a long list of players from the the young corners, Biadisz, Hill and the rest of the DLine, safeties, TEs, STs. Just trying to bring some perspective, I see a nice positive push forward in development and hopefully a quality draft next. Then that window definitely opens a little wider.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Garrett’s longevity was more about Jerry’s project trying to prove he could win without a proven HC receiving more credit.

Jerry won’t have as much patience with a more experienced or proven HC.

Good News is Jerry will probably continue spinning the wheel or go with another unproven puppet like Moore. I tend to think he chose MM to just shut up the critics.

Well, I certainly wouldn't expect him to exceed the number of years he afforded JG but I'd imagine he'd have enough patience to give him at least three to prove his worthiness or not. Three years isn't that much for a staff to win in grand fashion. I imagine Jerry would most likely be roundly criticized if he fired Mike McCarthy before that. I do believe he'll do really well. It's anyone's guess how long he'd put up with Moore if he didn't cut it, though. Not too long.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fewer than 10 wins and a playoff win will likely be considered a disappointment. Cowboys are done celebrating wild card wins.

They will hate McCarthy just like they hated all the other head coaches since Jimmy. Give it time. He'll be all that is wrong with this franchise before you know it. Round and round we go.

blueblood70

Reaction score
he inherited a team that two of 3 seasons has missed the layoffs, last year 8-8 amnd losing to a division foe who lost 40% of their players and still beat us while we were pretty healthy..we also turned over like what 38 players mostly on defense, this new staff has soe work to do givent what 2020 has thrown at them, is keeping them from teaching the new system hands on etc etc..Daks not participating in online stuff and hasn't signed , yes things arent as smooth as some think..I expect them to compete and hopefully at least a playoff berth start,

id say he gets a little space , I say 3rd season NFCCG or bust!..

75boyz

Reaction score
They will hate McCarthy just like they hated all the other head coaches since Jimmy. Give it time. He'll be all that is wrong with this franchise before you know it. Round and round we go.

Yup, by year 3 he will have assumed his rightful place of scapegoats along a long line of coaches and players not named Prescott and may or may not get a HC gig again.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 wins or more, win the division, win a playoff game. Many will be same old Cowboys. But that may be considered a success still.
New coach and staff, new defense, mostly a new offense. No OTA's, or practices, probably a more limited TC, as they cut down, again, on padded practices.

Replacing a pro bowl C, Jarwin really taking over for Witten. Who emerges at RDE, still unknown about CB's and S's play. On paper better at DT.
Still needing players on defense if no one steps up and make critical stops, get turnovers.

As I said a playoff wins is a start. But also it is how they get those wins, and how they lose. Hard fought game, just get out played. Or is the coaching at fault. I doubt that part, not like the old regime anyway.
I agree...if we play smart, play hard.....and lose....okay. But if we look like idiots...like we have....rough going.

I don;t expect that. But I'll go easy for the first year....Jerry too I am sure. I'm in 2-3 years....not 8!

Big_D

Reaction score
I agree...if we play smart, play hard.....and lose....okay. But if we look like idiots...like we have....rough going.

I don;t expect that. But I'll go easy for the first year....Jerry too I am sure. I'm in 2-3 years....not 8!

I think he gets a legit 5 year window. Let the plan play out. The Jerry/Garrett situation was really just sad. This will be treated very differently if things don't go well. Like 3 8-8s. I doubt he gets another 7 years after that! lol

Xeven

Reaction score
I love Dak but spend his money on Defense, Dalton can take us all the way and next year get a rook QB or 4.

HotDog37

Reaction score

I tend to agree with this. I think Jerry wanted to keep Jason Garret but was somewhat forced by public opinion mandate and I think he could ruin every single head coaches chance of winning the Superbowl (or even a conference Championship) in Dallas. The real issue is the Jones ownership and Family. I also expect Jason Garrett to pull some big surprises now that he isn't held back by Jones. He could end up being the Cowboys worst nightmare ever.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tend to agree with this. I think Jerry wanted to keep Jason Garret but was somewhat forced by public opinion mandate and I think he could ruin every single head coaches chance of winning the Superbowl (or even a conference Championship) in Dallas. The real issue is the Jones ownership and Family. I also expect Jason Garrett to pull some big surprises now that he isn't held back by Jones. He could end up being the Cowboys worst nightmare ever.

Wow! Really?

If not for a Jones mistake, Garrett would never have been a coordinator, much less gifted a head coaching job he never earned for 10 years.

If people want to blame Jerry, blame him for that, and for doing everything he could to prop Garrett up and find excuses and scapegoats to keep him around. That's a legitimate criticism.

But the words 'Garrett' and 'surprises' don't belong in the same sentence.

Jones is the GM in charge of acquiring players. And everyone agrees that the roster he's continued to stock in Dallas is one of the most talented in the league. In that respect, Jerry has done his job. Garrett couldn't hold up his end of the deal.