CFZ There are reasons for hope AND reasons for pessimism

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Being a Cowboys fan these days is for many of us a combination of feelings. Hope for the future and what may happen in this year’s playoffs coupled with the pain of the last 27 years where we have seen this team be 4-9 in the playoffs, never even winning a divisional round playoff game.

So as we go into the first back to back playoff season in 15 years on the heels of the first back to back 12 win seasons in 30 years, we can have some hope. But the dark clouds of the past cannot be ignored. Here’s a look at reasons for hope and reasons for pessimism.

REASONS FOR HOPE
  • First back to back 12 win seasons in 30 years and first back to back playoff seasons in 15 years. That’s an accomplishment for an organization that has been consistently inconsistent.
  • The drafts the last few years under Will McClay have been productive as opposed to 12-15 years ago when drafts where a nightmare. This team is fairly young, with several key players still developing.
  • The NFC is wide open this year. Other than Brady, no other NFC QB for any other NFC team has won more than one playoff game.
  • The NFL is highly unpredictable. Just when you think you know how this is going to go, strange things happen.
REASONS FOR PESSIMISM
  • The guy in charge of all this is an 80 year old stubborn billionaire who cannot admit his mistakes and apparently doesn’t want to win bad enough to do whatever it takes to win. If he did he would have made changes at the top. He’s the one constant the last 27 years.
  • This organization won 31 playoff games in its first 36 seasons. We have won 4 playoff games in the last 27. That’s hard to believe.
  • The Cowboys have lost 8 straight road playoff games. The last road playoff win was in the 1992 NFC championship game at SF, when Jimmy Johnson stood up and shouted, “How about them Cowboys!” Jimmy was the last HC to win a road playoff game.
  • We knew last Jan when we lost to the Niners at home this team needed to improve its run defense. Did the front office address that?
So as we head to Tampa this coming Monday, I have some hope and some pessimism. It’s hard not to when you look at the owner’s box and remember the last 27 seasons of playoff futility. These last 27 years have been painful. And that’s a pain that is not easily blocked out and forgotten.

I hope Cowboys fans can understand both sides of hope and pessimism this January. Both are understandable. Only winning multiple playoff games can erase the pessimism of the past. Let’s go Cowboys!
Unfortunately, the Boys aren't beating anything named Brady with someone named Dakota "WENTZ 2.0" Prescot!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They don’t get out enough anymore. They stay cooped up playing video games. I’m going to Thailand in March for 2 weeks. People need to get out and live. Experience other cultures. Broaden their knowledge of the world.
They’re in front of my house at the bus stop staying inside of their parents car , they don’t even get out to play or talk to each other. It’s crazy stupid. And it’s the parents fault.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They don’t get out enough anymore. They stay cooped up playing video games. I’m going to Thailand in March for 2 weeks. People need to get out and live. Experience other cultures. Broaden their knowledge of the world.
I’m very lucky, my wife and I are healthy, retired and I capable of traveling. We just came back from Disney. Be good be safe as I tell my children lol.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Unfortunately the negative about the Jones running the team is the biggest reason we’ve been irrelevant in the playoffs. Until we have an actual competent GM we won’t win the Super Bowl unless we get super lucky.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Being a Cowboys fan these days is for many of us a combination of feelings. Hope for the future and what may happen in this year’s playoffs coupled with the pain of the last 27 years where we have seen this team be 4-9 in the playoffs, never even winning a divisional round playoff game.

So as we go into the first back to back playoff season in 15 years on the heels of the first back to back 12 win seasons in 30 years, we can have some hope. But the dark clouds of the past cannot be ignored. Here’s a look at reasons for hope and reasons for pessimism.

REASONS FOR HOPE
  • First back to back 12 win seasons in 30 years and first back to back playoff seasons in 15 years. That’s an accomplishment for an organization that has been consistently inconsistent.
  • The drafts the last few years under Will McClay have been productive as opposed to 12-15 years ago when drafts where a nightmare. This team is fairly young, with several key players still developing.
  • The NFC is wide open this year. Other than Brady, no other NFC QB for any other NFC team has won more than one playoff game.
  • The NFL is highly unpredictable. Just when you think you know how this is going to go, strange things happen.
REASONS FOR PESSIMISM
  • The guy in charge of all this is an 80 year old stubborn billionaire who cannot admit his mistakes and apparently doesn’t want to win bad enough to do whatever it takes to win. If he did he would have made changes at the top. He’s the one constant the last 27 years.
  • This organization won 31 playoff games in its first 36 seasons. We have won 4 playoff games in the last 27. That’s hard to believe.
  • The Cowboys have lost 8 straight road playoff games. The last road playoff win was in the 1992 NFC championship game at SF, when Jimmy Johnson stood up and shouted, “How about them Cowboys!” Jimmy was the last HC to win a road playoff game.
  • We knew last Jan when we lost to the Niners at home this team needed to improve its run defense. Did the front office address that?
So as we head to Tampa this coming Monday, I have some hope and some pessimism. It’s hard not to when you look at the owner’s box and remember the last 27 seasons of playoff futility. These last 27 years have been painful. And that’s a pain that is not easily blocked out and forgotten.

I hope Cowboys fans can understand both sides of hope and pessimism this January. Both are understandable. Only winning multiple playoff games can erase the pessimism of the past. Let’s go Cowboys!
Since 1996 The Cowboys needed to improve their run defense. 4 playoff wins in 27 years is not hard to believe when you GM is Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and he can not be fired by the owner.

This has been a Cowboys generation lost. My 1st child was born 1992 (How Bout Dem Cowboys). His son, my grandson, is 3 years old born 2019 (8-8 again). My baby son was born 2006 (Romo fumble). All because of me they are Cowboy fans.

2 generations have never seen a Cowboy's road playoff win, a divisional playoff win, or the Cowboys in a NFC Championship game.

Since 2010, The 49ers have been to 5 NFC Championship games and 2 Super Bowls in 5 playoff appearances. That's why I know these are not the Dallas Cowboys. They are the Arlington Jonesboys.

jwitten82

Reaction score
What you gonna do I'm Thailand?

Btw, this week seems like the longest week ever lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A lot more reasons for pessimism based on what we’ve seen from Dak and the entire team lately. As much as I try, I just can’t see us beating a Tom Brady led team on the road, especially after the complete debacle we saw last week in Washington against a rookie QB making his first NFL start.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

REASONS FOR HOPE
REASONS FOR PESSIMISM

Well said!!!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That sounds like fun, have a safe trip.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course I'm hopeful.
Who wants to begin the off season on Tuesday?

Please don't remind me of the early years again.
It's painful.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It’s all Micah. He must take over the game and make Brady resort to whining, tripping, and ref begging.

lukin2006

Reaction score
We should win Monday. We are more talented and the better team…but we will see.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Yeah,
as I stated in your other Bucs offensive stats post Bob, I need to see the HC, OC and QB truly lead by example bringing their A game to this one.

Seeing is believing for me and for me to have optimism these 2 most important leaders need to prove their worth on the biggest stage once again.

They both failed miserably last year.
Fixed it for you... Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you said other than you didn't mention who is calling the plays and scheming the plays. HC has issues but it has nothing to do with calling and scheming plays.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

REASONS FOR HOPE
REASONS FOR PESSIMISM

Another reason for hope, at least in the next game, is that Tampa Bay is a team with huge deficiencies. They're an 8 and 9 team that can't run the ball. Plus, it IS possible to disrupt their aged QB. The Cowboys ought to beat this team. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. I don't have high hopes that our inconsistent team can make a deep playoff run. But they might be able to beat the Bucs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hell I'm more optimistic about our chances after the Washington game, I don't see this team laying a egg as they did vs Washington. Cowboys this season have always responded very well after a loss. I also think Cowboys are the much better team over than Tampa Bay.