CFZ There are zero dominant teams in the NFC this year

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a great opportunity the Cowboys have this year in the playoffs. When you look at the current NFL landscape, honestly there are no juggernauts. There are no consistently dominant teams.

Looking at the playoff teams in the NFC, it’s hard to pinpoint any one team as having the most momentum. All teams have strengths but their weaknesses are there too.

Looking at the current top 4 NFC teams going into the playoffs, none of them scare me- They all have strengths of course but their weaknesses are there too.
  • Philly- their once strong running game has become average. And who knows how bad Hurts’ shoulder is. Their defense has suffered big injuries too. They are limping into the tournament.
  • SF- yes they have a great D, yet somehow that D gave up 34 to Oakland’s backup QB yesterday. And, more importantly, they continue to count on a 7th round rookie QB to not fall apart. Brock Purdy’s clock is ticking for a melt down.
  • Dallas- we’re as good or better than anyone in the NFC. Just have to prove it on the road.
  • Minn- the worst 12-4 team in the league. Cousins is terrible when facing good teams. Their defense is completely inconsistent.
  • GB- if they get in the playoffs, they could be the scariest team in the tournament. They’re hot and Rodgers has no fear.
  • TB- Brady is the GOAT but Father Time has been gently rapping on his door this year. He’s still capable of great moments but not consistently. The TB defense is just ok.
  • NYG- probably just glad to be in.
Bottom line for me- this year’s playoffs are an excellent opportunity for the Cowboys to win some playoff games. But more than likely they must become tough road warriors. It’s all there for the taking.

Respect is earned in the playoffs!
Yes, there are no really dominate teams in the NFC. The Niners are the ones I fear most for their defense. We can beat TB and GB. Gotta cut down on the mistakes and turnovers.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
There hasn't been a single team league wide that's been dominant all year. Hurts-led-Eagles came close, but their formula falls apart if Hurts isn't there scoring 40 a game forcing other teams to abandon run.
9rs SEEM dominant NOW, but they weren't all year. And still wonder how their QB will handle playoffs.

Cowboys have shown aspects of dominance here and there, but they rarely put it all together on same game. Defense WAS scary for a while...but not any more. MINN? PLEASE.

Every team has been a Rollercoaster this year at some point. Whoever gets hot for 3 or 4 games in a row come playoff time will take the trophy. Could be ANYONE.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would we believe this team is capable without prior proof?

The NFL does have other teams which have proven themselves.

You stated in another thread recently you couldn't believe in this team without proof. What has changed?
Why would we have believed in the 1970 team that made a SB for the first time? Or the ‘92 team that had won one playoff game in 10 years before they won it all?

As to my thread about “Hope vs Belief”, I said I have hope they can make a playoff run. I also said I will believe it when it happens. That’s not saying they aren’t capable. I think you are reading into things I never said. Hope? Yes. Belief? Not until they prove it. Big difference. Again…You asked me if I thought this team is “capable”. Yes I do. Do I have total belief in this team. Not yet. That’s different than saying “I believe this team will win it all”.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why would we have believed in the 1970 team that made a SB for the first time? Or the ‘92 team that had won one playoff game in 10 years before they won it all?

As to my thread about “Hope vs Belief”, I said I have hope they can make a playoff run. I also said I will believe it when it happens. That’s not saying they aren’t capable. I think you are reading into things I never said. Hope? Yes. Belief? Not until they prove it. Big difference. Again…You asked me if I thought this team is “capable”. Yes I do. Do I have total belief in this team. Not yet. That’s different than saying “I believe this team will win it all”.
Understood but hopefully you can understand someone reading more into it.

Sounds like you believe they are capable of winning it all. You don’t have to say they will . That‘s beyond just hoping .

Im not saying there is anything wrong with believing. Just felt like it was different belief than your previous thread as such.

1970 and 1992 are different situations . We can discuss that if you wish. But I’d rather not deflect from current situation.

In 1992 I didn’t believe until we beat SF. And in 1970 that team was a more proven contender with 5 straight playoff appearances and a couple NFL title games.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I mean, he did it in 2010. He's more accomplished than any QB in the playoffs outside of Brady.

Yeah, he did it a dozen years ago when they were 10-6 with a top 5 defense and he was a minimal cap hit. Since then he's been back to the playoffs 9 times. He's 1 for 10. Lets see if the Packers can get past Detroit first.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue the NFC’s prior dominant teams weren’t dominant this year. Which has opened the door for upcoming teams like Phil, Minn and Dallas.

We could present an argument SF has been a serious contender in recent years with several championship appearances and a SB. Winning 9 straight games at 12-4 as currently #2 seed Id say are looking more dominant than anyone else in NFC.

And almost from the grave emerges Rodgers and the Packers who have been perineal contenders this era. Not to mention no one really wants to face the GOAT in a one game elimination.

If I’m in the NFC I’d rather face Dallas, Minn or Phil than any of those 3 prior dominant teams or QB’s.

And that’s really what has defined this Cap era is Dominant QB’s more than teams. It’s what is driving the more serious contenders in AFC. And low and behold the same old dominant QB’s have emerged in NFC.

That’s really what the Cap era has produced. Dominant QB’s or defenses who lead perineal contenders. Perhaps a new definition in Cap era for Dominance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sounds like you believe they are capable of winning it all. You don’t have to say they will . That‘s beyond just hoping .

Im not saying there is anything wrong with believing. Just felt like it was different belief than your previous thread as such.

1970 and 1992 are different situations . We can discuss that if you wish. But I’d rather not deflect from current situation.

In 1992 I didn’t believe until we beat SF. And in 1970 that team was a more proven contender with 5 straight playoff appearances and a couple NFL title games.
Any time you say, “Sounds like you believe this or that”, I usually get frustrated. Why? Just take what someone says at face value. You don’t have to speculate what they mean. No worries Greg. I think we’re splitting hairs at this point.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
What a great opportunity the Cowboys have this year in the playoffs. When you look at the current NFL landscape, honestly there are no juggernauts. There are no consistently dominant teams.

Looking at the playoff teams in the NFC, it’s hard to pinpoint any one team as having the most momentum. All teams have strengths but their weaknesses are there too.

Looking at the current top 4 NFC teams going into the playoffs, none of them scare me- They all have strengths of course but their weaknesses are there too.
  • Philly- their once strong running game has become average. And who knows how bad Hurts’ shoulder is. Their defense has suffered big injuries too. They are limping into the tournament.
  • SF- yes they have a great D, yet somehow that D gave up 34 to Oakland’s backup QB yesterday. And, more importantly, they continue to count on a 7th round rookie QB to not fall apart. Brock Purdy’s clock is ticking for a melt down.
  • Dallas- we’re as good or better than anyone in the NFC. Just have to prove it on the road.
  • Minn- the worst 12-4 team in the league. Cousins is terrible when facing good teams. Their defense is completely inconsistent.
  • GB- if they get in the playoffs, they could be the scariest team in the tournament. They’re hot and Rodgers has no fear.
  • TB- Brady is the GOAT but Father Time has been gently rapping on his door this year. He’s still capable of great moments but not consistently. The TB defense is just ok.
  • NYG- probably just glad to be in.
Bottom line for me- this year’s playoffs are an excellent opportunity for the Cowboys to win some playoff games. But more than likely they must become tough road warriors. It’s all there for the taking.

Respect is earned in the playoffs!
Deebo is coming back this week and Sf will be head and shoulders the best team in the NFC imo

SF is still winning despite losing him. That's a pretty good sign.

Wait until playoff time and deebo is running the ball more

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Any time you say, “Sounds like you believe this or that”, I usually get frustrated. Why? Just take what someone says at face value. You don’t have to speculate what they mean. No worries Greg. I think we’re splitting hairs at this point.
I just felt like the belief was somewhat contradicting the earlier thoughts. Otherwise wouldn’t have commented.

I try to take take all of a persons history of thoughts at face value. what’s been said before holds as much value as currently. And why I asked if something had changed. Which is always possible. And nothing wrong with it. Just was looking for clarification.

Some can come to believe more. That’s how it came off to me .

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah, he did it a dozen years ago when they were 10-6 with a top 5 defense and he was a minimal cap hit. Since then he's been back to the playoffs 9 times. He's 1 for 10. Lets see if the Packers can get past Detroit first.

Um okay, but not exactly your argument. Simple fact is, he found a way to get it done at one point. Prescott and the Cowboys have not. End of.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if dallas plays their "A" game...they can beat anybody.
if they don't play their "A" game...we'll win by a fg.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The regular season journey just doesn't do it for me anymore. Probably just me, LOL.
Not just you. The regular season can be seen as a success. 2016 is a great example. A spectacular regular season. Exciting and fresh. Filled with youth and promise of a bright future. 2022 is not that at all. It was a good regular season for sure but it was a rerun from last year. This group needs to take the next step. I have said it before but I will say it again. For anyone who follows the NHL I am a Leafs fan. Fantastic regular season year after year. 2017 was a huge success and the future looked bright. 5 years later and it is the same bunch of clowns doing the same old thing that we already know does not win in the playoffs. Why should this year be any different for the Leafs? Why should this year be any different for the Cowboys? I still see the same flawed team that can not stop a quality team from imposing their will on offense. Our only true reaction is to lean on the high priced offense and let Dak sling the rock. This has been great in the regular season compiling stats. Not so great beyond that.

duane33

Reaction score
You mean the one that hit his receiver in the chest? You're not seriously complaining about that throw? I don't care how tight the coverage was (it wasn't) if the ball hits the receiver in the chest I'm not going to be mad at the QB for anything that happens after. I don't really have a preference as to where Dak throws from as long as it gets completed. Like I said he's great throwing on the move.. one of the best I've ever seen.. But the beauty of his skillset is when the line starts having problems he throws just as well out of the pocket as in it.

So you think Brown shudda caught that? Fine. Didn't see you comment on the pick 6 in Phila game though, but let that go.
He is tied for picks in the league while playing 10 games and you cant blame every pick on someone else. I do think the receivers have trouble getting separation, I'll give him that. Gallup has been disappointing, assuming he is healthy.
Hate to say it but just don't think he can get them to the promised land. call it whatever you want, bad QB coaching, not studying enough film, whatever, i just don't see him improving year to year.
They need to draft a young QB soon. I think Rush did a great job
They will have trouble against TB

DandyDon52

Reaction score
SF is the best team and the hottest team going into playoffs. 9 in a row
The rest all are inconsistent. and none are really hot except GB is a little , having won 4 in a row.
all the other teams are 2 in a row or less.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
this has been a weird and boring season for me. Seems staged to me. One week a team plays like they are great, then the
next game get beat 40-3 , just doesnt make sense.
all of the good teams last year had bad year this year, except dallas, and they have been up and down and inconsistent.

rambo2

Reaction score

The 1970 team got absolutely destroyed by the Cardinals and the Vikings. Two of the worst beatings in Cowboys history. Then they went on to go to the Super Bowl and they should have won that game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m one of those unusual fans who really wants to play the best teams in the playoffs. I want Brady. I want the eagles. I want the niners. In any order.

Why? Well… If you believe this team is capable of greatness, and I think it’s capable- you have to prove it against the best. It’s time for this team to prove they are who we have hoped they are. The only way to prove that is to prove it in the playoffs against the best. The best teams should bring out the best in the Cowboys. Bring it!
Same here, never got fans focusing on the other team’s missing stars. I want all hands on deck and may the team that plays the best win. And that is not always the best team.

duane33

Reaction score
You mean the one that hit his receiver in the chest? You're not seriously complaining about that throw? I don't care how tight the coverage was (it wasn't) if the ball hits the receiver in the chest I'm not going to be mad at the QB for anything that happens after. I don't really have a preference as to where Dak throws from as long as it gets completed. Like I said he's great throwing on the move.. one of the best I've ever seen.. But the beauty of his skillset is when the line starts having problems he throws just as well out of the pocket as in it.
hows that pick 6 by Dak, actually 2 in a row. Glad you have faith in him. He is Regressing, no doubt in my mind. They need to drrtaft a QB in april

Tampa could win easily next week

strollinruss

Reaction score
Whoever plays the Cowboys usually plays pretty good defense especially pass defense