There is no such thing as a "lucky" turnover

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
This phrase should be eliminated from the board's lexicon immediately. I'm alway stunned when people downplay a turnover because (according to some) a turnover that is a result of another's mistake is somehow not as impressive. Well, this argument is bunk because EVERY turnover is a result of another's mistake and there is a mistake on every possession. Turnovers are the result of awareness and proper positioning to capitalize on mistakes.

Take Eli's last turnover -- some say it was a "fluke" turnover, but again, there is no such thing. The int was the result of Hatcher's pressure and Carr's awareness around Eli's premature throw. Without either of those factors, you only have a mistake, NOT a turnover.

The Natural

Reaction score
Ball miraculously bouncing off of Witten's foot into a defenders hands = lucky turnover

SDCowboy

Reaction score
lol there are tons of lucky turnovers. Heck, ALL of them are to some extent. If a ball is fumbled, it has to bounce one direction or another. If a ball is tipped, it has to fly one direction or another, etc.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ball miraculously bouncing off of Witten's foot into a defenders hands = lucky turnover

Right. A ridiculous notion that luck doesn't play a part in the game.

But I don't believe those 6 turnovers were all about luck.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Luck is part of the game. It's not a science.

Luck creates opportunities, NOT turnovers. This really isn't hard to understand.

Luck -- the opportunity for a turnover.

Turnover -- the culmination of creating a situation that results in a "lucky" opportunity and the having the awareness to seize the same.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'll have to disagree that there isn't lucky turnovers but a turnover is a turnover. I don't really care how we get it.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Luck creates opportunities, NOT turnovers. This really isn't hard to understand.

Luck -- the opportunity for a turnover.

Turnover -- the culmination of creating a situation that results in a "lucky" opportunity and the having the awareness to seize the same.

Not sure if serious or doesn't know what luck is...

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score

Again, I'm not saying luck isn't part of the game, and if you got that from my post you need to read again. I'm saying there is no such thing as a lucky turnover.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Not sure if dense or can't read...

So you don't know what luck is. Got it. Every turnover is a result of luck. If the ball is fumbled, it is luck that determines who the ball goes to. If a ball is overthrown for a pick, it is luck if the ball is thrown in the direction of a defender. If a ball is tipped, it is luck that determines what direction the ball flies.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
unforced turnovers are lucky.

it also take a great deal of bad luck to have as few turnovers as we did last year

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Call it what you will, but the ball bouncing off of a Giants defender on the punt was a lucky turnover.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

To an extent there is a bit of luck but as Jimmy Johnson himself said much of the luck comes from hard work and being prepared. You can teach guys to rip the ball to swarm the ball carrier to run them through continuous fumble drills and Kiffin and Rod Marinelli have done that and I know Marinelli did that in Chicago, they don't just talk about the importance of creating turnover they work them in practice and stress those things. I think when you get that mind set and the ball hits the turf our guys are ready to pounce on it. Even balls that are not fumbles players are hustling to the ball and getting on it, heck you never know what the official may rule. I have seen in the past guys standing around with this defensive staff they are hustling to the ball, you do that you will see a lot more so called lucky breaks fall their way

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
So you don't know what luck is. Got it. Every turnover is a result of luck. If the ball is fumbled, it is luck that determines who the ball goes to. If a ball is overthrown for a pick, it is luck if the ball is thrown in the direction of a defender. If a ball is tipped, it is luck that determines what direction the ball flies.

So, dense huh?

Luck, by definition, means fortune due to events beyond one's control. As such, and as I said, opportunities for a turnover can be created by luck, but the actual turnover itself is not "lucky" because it is not predicated on everts entirely outside of one's control, but rather those events AND one's own awareness and preparation.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The harder we work at it, the luckier we seem to get. I'll take em.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
So, dense huh?

Luck, by definition, means fortune due to events beyond one's control. As such, and as I said, opportunities for a turnover can be created by luck, but the actual turnover itself is not "lucky" because it is not predicated on everts entirely outside of one's control, but rather those events AND one's own awareness and preparation.

You can force a fumble, for example, but it is complete luck which direction the ball goes. Said fumble is only a turnover if the opposite team comes up with it. Who the ball bounced to, on said fumble, is complete luck. Put the pieces together. It's not that tough. There is more to a turnover than what caused the other team to lose the ball.