There was a reason Dak was not drafted before the 4th round

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The adjustment that Wade made in the 2nd half was to stop blitzing in favor of doubled the 2 guys who are always open. The Cards also doubled Beasley on third down.

Because JG's offense is so basic it is fairly easy to do so as well, as both of them basically run 2 routes, ins or outs. The Rams just bracketed them with inside out coverage.

In my opinion this could be why Dak is forcing the ball to Dez so much. I don't have All-22 but my guess is the Cowboys are seeing quite a bit of this.

pitt33

Reaction score
god, enough. if not for him we lose last week. he did well against the giants. he did incredible all of last year.

worst fan base after a loss.
he did not do so hot against the Giants. And let's face it. He is just not that good from the pocket. Not right now anyways.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The adjustment that Wade made in the 2nd half was to stop blitzing in favor of doubled the 2 guys who are always open. The Cards also doubled Beasley on third down.

Because JG's offense is so basic it is fairly easy to do so as well, as both of them basically run 2 routes, ins or outs. The Rams just bracketed them with inside out coverage.

In my opinion this could be why Dak is forcing the ball to Dez so much. I don't have All-22 but my guess is the Cowboys are seeing quite a bit of this.

I don't even understand these route combinations.

Beasley is clearly running the only route he ever runs, but what are the other two doing?

Ken

Reaction score

Yes, this is what I saw watching the first half again on all 22. Witten was never open. I think it may be coming to the end for him, or Mark Barron is a really good cover S.

The coverage on Beas at times was Corner and Safety bracketing and a LB buzzing underneath.

Dez is also not beating anyone. Almost every play I watched had no separation in that first half. Everyone blaming Dak is comical, he has regressing targets in a dinosaur offense. There is a reason the big plays came when plays broke down, including this td.

And FYI Goff pumpers....he would have been sacked on this play.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I don't even understand these route combinations.

Beasley is clearly running the only route he ever runs, but what are the other two doing?

It is a hot mess, not even sure what Butler's route even is other than a decoy to create space underneath for Beasley.

Beasley seems confused by the double and doesn't know where to run.

At least Butler did a good job scrambling when he saw Dak leave the pocket.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Dak was not drafted before the 4 th round

he is not accurate - has no touch on his passed

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

Weaknesses Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

NFL Comparison Brett Hundley

Bottom Line Hard to find an NFL comp for Prescott because he's built like Donovan McNabb, but lacks McNabb's ability and polish. Prescott has NFL size, mobility and enough arm, but the tape shows a player who must improve his mechanics, poise and quickness through his progressions if he is to become a full-time starter in the NFL. There are absolutely draftable traits and upside, but he will need extended work to smooth out his flaws. Until then, a team would be wise to utilize him on short-yardage packages

Look guys.... Dak has been working all offseason to fix mechanic's and when he has time looks good... BUT, when your LG rotation is not locked down and the person manning that side of the field keeps getting pushed back into your face it's going to screw up your mechanics... Almost every play where he threw the ball to the back side of the Field (left side) where he was OFF, he was on his tippy toes or bouncing around not getting set, this was due to guard getting pushed back in his face more than he would like. Leary was a BULL and hard to move off in both Running game and in Passing game.... He and Smith were a good Team Passing off rushers well.

IMO - we need to move LC back to Guard next year and find a dominant RT in FA or Draft.

Ken

Reaction score
Guess Dak throwing off Donald and getting ball downfield and Dak escaping another sack and throwing a TD are common place. He basically single handedly got us 14 pts
As I stated, he would have been sacked on that TD. Dak has been doing a great job this year and only these pseudo nfl experts on here are dogging him because they don't understand all of the factors in play.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yay! Another BASH DAK thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are the ZEKE threads? The guy drafted #4 who is averaging 3.6 ypc? I will start it.............

Get your own thread! We're bashing Dak here because he's missed on some passes and doesn't look like Tom Brady this year! Nevermind that when the OL and running game were great last year, a rookie QB was great and now that the OL and running game are struggling, a second-year QB is not consistently great. There's absolutely no correlation there!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I've yet to see anyone say they don't think Dak will get better.

I think people are pointing out flaws this season that were not exposed last season and it's hurting us today.

You can acknowledge poor play while also hoping/assuming things get better.

Indeed you can, but when the argument begins with "reasons why Dak is a 4th rounder" I'm going to address those reasons.

The comparisons with Romo are ridiculous too, unless we're comparing apples to apples (2nd year of their careers). Expecting Dak to be what Romo was a decade into his career is an unfair comparison at this point.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's not the QB. It's the OL not protecting him, not opening holes for Zeke. And its our recievers who can't get open. Dak has missed, throws, but he isn't the sole or main reason for the teams slow start. Of course you won't bring up the OL or Zeke.

I don't agree on the receivers. They've been open enough and he's missed some throws to them he should have completed.

The issue is the same as it was with Romo. When you can't get the running game going and your defense can't slow down good offenses, any mistakes the quarterback makes become big. And the quarterback makes more mistakes because he's having to carry more of the burden.

Romo's mistakes were that he would take chances that sometimes resulted in turnovers. Dak's more cautious with the ball, so his mistakes are more related to holding the ball too long or trying to make sure he doesn't throw an interception IMO.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Waiting with bated breath on the following threads:

"There's a reason Brady was drafted in the 6th round."

"There's a reason Jamarcus Russell was drafted 1st overall."

Sydla

Reaction score
Teams are daring Dak to throw outside the hash marks and up the field and he just can't do that consistently. Look at the 2nd deep ball Dak threw against the Rams to Dez on the opening drive. If he throws it inside its a touchdown. Instead Dez has to become a defender because the ball is behind him. Those things matter.

Bizarrely, he appears more accurate on deeper throws when he's on the move. In the pocket, he's just not very accurate this year. This wasn't a problem nearly as much last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
My question is what has happened between Year 1 and Year 2 that has made Dak much more inaccurate?

Or is last year just an anomaly?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Indeed you can, but when the argument begins with "reasons why Dak is a 4th rounder" I'm going to address those reasons.

The comparisons with Romo are ridiculous too, unless we're comparing apples to apples (2nd year of their careers). Expecting Dak to be what Romo was a decade into his career is an unfair comparison at this point.
It's not unfair. Because people wanted to play Dak over Romo today (and last year). So it's fair to compare their abilities in the present. The Romo question has been settled. He's not coming back. But that is why the comparisons happen. We had the choice of Veteran Romo (the good and the bad) vs. Rookie Dak. And we made our choice. So when we see the inferior aspects of his game it's only natural to compare.

Just like when we see Dak make a big rushing play or pop up after a big hit it's fair to say...hey Romo doesn't provide that leg element and hey maybe Romo doesn't get up.

Also life isn't fair.