TheRinger: Get Ready 2nd Wave of Free Agency

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't get any of the talk about Boston whatsoever. Cowboys FO obviously has no interest. Unless I'm mistaken, they haven't even been in talks with him at any stage, either this year or last.

I get the talk about Suh, but only because he hinted (depending on how serious one takes him) he'd be up for signing with the Boys. But unless we find out there's a injury that will put down one of our 3-techs for a long time, that seems a dead end as well.

So, I'm surprised to open this thread and find so little discussion about Eric Berry, though.

Both sides have shown some significant interest in each other.

While it can be argued that the Cowboys don't value the position, it can also be argued that because they don't value the position, they'd be up for signing Berry at the right price. And the fact that they didn't really make any serious attempt to address the position in the draft, just makes it all the more intriguing... it's not like they drafted a kid that they have full confidence will compete for a starting job.

People will say, "Well, why haven't they signed him yet?"

For the same reason no team has signed him yet, no doubt... if you've read what team doctors have written about the condition he has, it's clear that it's something for which surgery isn't necessarily the best option, and that there's good reason to wait until training camp to evaluate him again and see if you'd like to sign him or not.

Could easily see that happening.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I wonder if Suh is trying to sign late as possible to avoid TC.
I would not be surprised.

There is little to no upside for any veteran to sign right now. About the only negative is not having enough time to learn the playbook and/or scheme. And for some positions it does not even matter very much.

If I were one of these players looking to maximize their contract in a dry market, I keep myself in shape and wait until teams realize they missed on a draft choice or injuries start to pile up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He played great during playoffs but I don’t want a guy like that
I want effort every week since you pay him every week
Super talent but gotten lazy and rich as he’s gotten older

And honestly, Suh strikes me as the total opposite of a Marinelli "orphan". Not saying that I agree with Marinelli's views, but only stating that he seems to have a "type" and that type is the overachieving, lunch pail guy that succeeds more from drive and tenacity than overwhelming physical traits. And Suh looks like the opposite of that, a powerhouse who is incredibly gifted physically that relies on that more than his own overwhelming motivation.

_sturt_

Reaction score
We haven't seen a Warren Sapp kind of personality and player in DAL, so recent history affirms that assertion.

But then again, Warren Sapp was probably as much a prima donna as Suh, no?

_sturt_

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with waiting until closer to TC to get back to Berry. In fact, it's probably the wise decision.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yeah, not really.

For example, as a deep safety, he was 5th amongst all safeties in passer rating last year. His struggles come when he was in slot coverage.
He's not a great safety, he's not a bad safety. He's probably a better safety than Heath but with Iloka here, the team is probably not really interested in adding a veteran safety.
5th amongst Safeties doesn't really say much

Being the 5th smartest Eagles fan still leaves them in Special Ed

It is all about the context and Boston takes too many chances and is no upgrade

Sydla

Reaction score
5th amongst Safeties doesn't really say much

Being the 5th smartest Eagles fan still leaves them in Special Ed

It is all about the context and Boston takes too many chances and is no upgrade

He's a better safety than Jeff Heath, that's for certain.