These are history in the NFL . and good riddance

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
There are some things that I miss about earlier decades of the NFL, then there are other things that I'm glad are gone. Post the "good riddance" things of the NFL, stuff you're glad are gone for good. I'll start.

1. Astroturf. Thank God this awful playing surface that caused injuries is gone. The league found a better artificial playing surface that is much more like natural grass, thank goodness. That's what the Cowboys have adopted, and, of course, some teams still have natural grass. But that astroturf was this hard carpet that was very unforgiving and caused all kinds of ankle and knee injuries, among others. I don't think any thing could top astroturf for good riddance, save for something really old like leather helmets.
2. The single-bar facemask. The single-bar didn't do jack for protecting a player. A lot of kickers, and even some quarterbacks had one. Don Meredith and Billy Kilmer both used the single-bar. It was garbage. Good riddance to it.
3. Strike-shortened seasons. Okay, this one isn't necessarily gone for good. A strike could happen again, but at least it's been a long time since one of these happened. It really sucked when you got all pumped for a new NFL season only to have several weeks of no play, and then a weird playoff selection process when less than 16 games per team had been played. This happened in '82 and '87. In '87 the league even made the bizarre decision to use replacement players. They brought in some scrubs to play football, and the result was some very poor quality play that was not up to NFL standards. It is still possible for a strike to happen, so this one is not necessarily history, as much as I would like it to be.

Your turn. What is something the league has gotten rid of that you're glad is gone, hopefully for good.

Pape

Reaction score
2. The single-bar facemask.

Your turn. What is something the league has gotten rid of that you're glad is gone, hopefully for good.

how about no facemask? Jess Richardson, last lineman to play without a facemask at all
mOMCoU4.jpg

good rule changes?
The Brady Rule
The Rooney Rule
The Bronco Nagursky Rule

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There are some things that I miss about earlier decades of the NFL, then there are other things that I'm glad are gone. Post the "good riddance" things of the NFL, stuff you're glad are gone for good. I'll start.

1. Astroturf. Thank God this awful playing surface that caused injuries is gone. The league found a better artificial playing surface that is much more like natural grass, thank goodness. That's what the Cowboys have adopted, and, of course, some teams still have natural grass. But that astroturf was this hard carpet that was very unforgiving and caused all kinds of ankle and knee injuries, among others. I don't think any thing could top astroturf for good riddance, save for something really old like leather helmets.
2. The single-bar facemask. The single-bar didn't do jack for protecting a player. A lot of kickers, and even some quarterbacks had one. Don Meredith and Billy Kilmer both used the single-bar. It was garbage. Good riddance to it.
3. Strike-shortened seasons. Okay, this one isn't necessarily gone for good. A strike could happen again, but at least it's been a long time since one of these happened. It really sucked when you got all pumped for a new NFL season only to have several weeks of no play, and then a weird playoff selection process when less than 16 games per team had been played. This happened in '82 and '87. In '87 the league even made the bizarre decision to use replacement players. They brought in some scrubs to play football, and the result was some very poor quality play that was not up to NFL standards. It is still possible for a strike to happen, so this one is not necessarily history, as much as I would like it to be.

Buddy Ryan

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Buddy Ryan

I would have to agree with that. Buddy Ryan was the unclassiest head coach I've ever seen in the NFL. If any HC has ever behaved worse than he did, I haven't seen it. Maybe if you went way back to before I was born in the 30s, 40, or 50s, you might find someone worse, but there's no coach I know of who acted with as poor sportsmanship as Buddy Ryan.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I would have to agree with that. Buddy Ryan was the unclassiest head coach I've ever seen in the NFL. If any HC has ever behaved worse than he did, I haven't seen it. Maybe if you went way back to before I was born in the 30s, 40, or 50s, you might find someone worse, but there's no coach I know of who acted with as poor sportsmanship as Buddy Ryan.
I would have to list George Allen real close to him but Buddy probably edges him out a bit.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
An obvious one is leather helmets, not that I remember them. I did see an old photo from when Richard Nixon played high school football, and he had a leather helmet.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Uncapped years. NFL has better a way better product as a whole since the induction of the salary cap.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The original Astroturf is a good one. Screw that stuff.

Fully banning chop blocks in 2016 was a really good one too. Before the ban it was basically legalized kneecapping of opposing players under certain conditions, which is just BS to me. That's not old school, that's just being a punk-*** b*** scared to take on a block properly.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The original Astroturf is a good one. Screw that stuff.

Fully banning chop blocks in 2016 was a really good one too. Before the ban it was basically legalized kneecapping of opposing players under certain conditions, which is just BS to me. That's not old school, that's just being a punk-*** b*** scared to take on a block properly.

Very true about the chop block, and some teams had relied on it. If you're not athletic enough to stop your opponent from getting to your QB, just chop him down. It caused a lot of injuries and it made some offenses better than they would have been. Buh-bye to that.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Very true about the chop block, and some teams had relied on it. If you're not athletic enough to stop your opponent from getting to your QB, just chop him down. It caused a lot of injuries and it made some offenses better than they would have been. Buh-bye to that.
I seem to remember it was a staple of the late 80's early 90's 'Niners.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I seem to remember it was a staple of the late 80's early 90's 'Niners.

Every Shanahan coached team, especially the late 90s Broncos were infamous for going at the knees of defensive players.

Banning spearing in the 70s was another good decision. If they hadn't gotten so lax with actually enforcing it there would have been a lot less CTE-shortened careers in the 80s-90s.