These Facts Explain Everything

ArtClink

Reaction score
“Jerry the GM” is the Cowboys fan boogeyman that exists largely in our minds and nowhere else. There was a time when Jerry pretty much did what he wanted, true. But that time has long since passed. Will McClay and Stephen Jones have taken progressively more and more personnel control to the point where Jerry is by all accounts, including his own, third fiddle in such decisions.

People blame Jerry because he’s an attention ***** who get son camera and talks a lot, and is this easy to blame. He’s the Queen of England, a really famous guy lots of people have options about but whose power over decisions has become progressively more symbolic.

So even if the failures were always personnel, and they aren’t, there’s a lot more blame to go around.
The blame for the past 26 seasons starts and ends with the GM, the only constant during that period. Since we can't change GMs, we build castles made of sand every season on a very flawed foundation with a very flawed culture and then ask the players and coaches to try to win with all the handicaps a Jones GM brings. No "head coach" or QB can win here and I think Romo and Dak are good enough to win a Super Bowl, but they are not allowed to play for a hc with real authority to hire & fire. Instead they work in a system where Jerry hires the offensive coordinator before he names the "head coach" and Jerry's system also relies on hiring weak head coaches that Jerry won't "clash" with (Parcells is the exception the past 26 years and Jimmy doesn't count because he HAD full football authority in his contract).

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
What has Jerry done?: How about firing a coach who won you 2 Super Bowls; What has Jerry done: How about hiring Barry Switzer, which if you go back and look led to a downward spiral for the Cowboys after he won a Super Bowl. What has Jerry done? How about hiring Chan Gailey. What has Jerry done? How about hiring Dave Campo. What has Jerry done? How about hiring an Offensive Coordinator before you hired a Head Coach simply because you wanted the Offensive Coordinator to be the next head coach. What has Jerry done? How about sticking with Jason Garret for 10 years. What has Jerry done? How about establish a culture where players are more accountable to him than the head coach. Jerry's ego will not allow him to hire a GM because he is determined to prove that he is smart enough to win a Super Bowl without Jimmy Johnson. I mean the greatest indictment against him as GM is this: In 2012, Jerry said that he would have fired himself as GM if he did not work for himself. Jerry has done plenty to cause the failures of this franchise.
PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a second there I forgot I was on a football message board....I just reached into my pocket in anticipation of the offering plate coming my way!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How can folks go thru the season saying what a talented team has been assembled & then blame the Jones for a playoff loss?

Let's call it what it is. A deficiency at one key position and certainly some questionable coaching decisions.

Most of you wanted the deficiency signed at any cost, remember?

ArtClink

Reaction score
What has Jerry done?: How about firing a coach who won you 2 Super Bowls; What has Jerry done: How about hiring Barry Switzer, which if you go back and look led to a downward spiral for the Cowboys after he won a Super Bowl. What has Jerry done? How about hiring Chan Gailey. What has Jerry done? How about hiring Dave Campo. What has Jerry done? How about hiring an Offensive Coordinator before you hired a Head Coach simply because you wanted the Offensive Coordinator to be the next head coach. What has Jerry done? How about sticking with Jason Garret for 10 years. What has Jerry done? How about establish a culture where players are more accountable to him than the head coach. Jerry's ego will not allow him to hire a GM because he is determined to prove that he is smart enough to win a Super Bowl without Jimmy Johnson. I mean the greatest indictment against him as GM is this: In 2012, Jerry said that he would have fired himself as GM if he did not work for himself. Jerry has done plenty to cause the failures of this franchise.
Well said sir.

ArtClink

Reaction score
wasn't going to post again. But I saw this^ and it hit me. ^^^^THAT is this club 100% in a nutshell. This circus is sad and we the fans deserve better. The Jones' lied..Never put Jimmy J in the Ring...lied 2 we the fans in doing so. It speaks to Jerry and Stevies mindset. Until they are gone, nothing will get better. The ONLY thing that might help,in spite of Jerry, is if we fire McCarthy and hire Sean Payton. I'd even settle for Doug Pedersen. The dude won with a scrub QB. I can't stand with this club anymore. It hurts..its been 26 years. How long we gonna enable Jerry? Dak didnt lose this game, this was a true team loss, from Jerry on Down. Its Karma..and JJ caused it all. He's a snake oil salesman thru and thru. Stevie is version 2.0. Zeke, Oline, and the right HC are key..gives us a small fighting chance at least. MM gives us 0 chance with his sidekick boy Wonder. Let Kellen walk..Hand MM his pink slip. Let Gregory go. Hes dumb.Let connor Williams walk. Cut Biadiasz.
Will McClay is the last person that should be fired.

Sydla

Reaction score
In the 26 years since the Cowboys last won a divisional playoff game, and last appeared in a conference championship, the following have been tried to get back to playoff glory:
  • 6 different head coaches
  • 7 different offensive coordinators
  • 8 different defensive coordinators
  • Over 70 different assistant coaches
  • 20 different QBs have started regular season games and 3 different QBs have started playoff games in that span.
  • One owner/GM
GMs get credit when you win championships. And they get criticism when they don’t. In fact, in 30 other NFL cities the ones not winning playoff games get fired. But not in Big D where if your name is Jones, there is no accountability for failure.

There’s plenty of blame to spread around tonight. The Players, the coaches…they all sucked today. But the guy MOST responsible- BY DESIGN- will be back again next year. One year older and not any wiser.

People always ***** about Jerry’s player decisions but the real issue has always been his inability to hire good coaches since the SB run.

And if he fires McCarthy, then odds are he’d just find another stooge to replace him.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
How can folks go thru the season saying what a talented team has been assembled & then blame the Jones for a playoff loss?

Let's call it what it is. A deficiency at one key position and certainly some questionable coaching decisions.

Without question....Dak was very average yesterday. But if you expected Dak to win 4 postseason games by himself...that plan was doomed from the rip.

Dak, the OL, the head coach, the penalties, the lack of running game, the lack of pass rush...NOBDOY was good yesterday.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Then why didn't we win a divisional playoff game with Romo? BTW, the Dez catch happened with 4:50 left on the clock and like yesterday, our defense couldn't make critical stops. How about when Romo fumbled the snap in Seattle? There was still about 1:50 on the clock and we had all three timeouts, but what happened? Our defense failed to make a critical stop. Lastly, it matters very much to have a real head coach with authority vs a toothless lion figure head hc, esp come playoff time because no one on our sidelines has any authority since it all resides within the Jones boys cult.

Cmac

Reaction score
I just don't understand why jerry is so hell bent on "doing it his way". Has that guy ever turned on a patriots game. Sure they used to show Brady and Bellicheck. But how many freaking times did they show Kraft and heap praise on him over the past 20 years! A lot is the answer!

Why can't jerry share some of the credit. He'd rather lose with his guy, than win and have to share it.
The curse of firing Jimmy remains and now the lie and reluctance about placing him in the ROH hangs over Jerry's head.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As usual it’s never as bad as some think or as good as others.

There were several warning signs leading up to the playoffs and this matchup in particular which came to bear.

And Jethro’s culture is always hanging over this organization. His SB or Bust mantra just hours before kickoff is another example . And the lack of discipline continues to be a major problem as well.

ArtClink

Reaction score
People always ***** about Jerry’s player decisions but the real issue has always been his inability to hire good coaches since the SB run.

And if he fires McCarthy, then odds are he’d just find another stooge to replace him.
When you hire head coaches, hire all their staff for them and then give them authority over game clock management and nothing else, it is Jerry's fault because you can't blame a hc with no authority to hire and fire then blame them for "not getting it done".

The Dallas hc job is the one place in the NFL where head coaches come to kill their hc career. Since Barry Switzer was hired as our first figure head hc in the 1993 (depressing thought it has been messed up this long), no one has ever landed another hc job in the NFL after taking the Cowboys hc job. Jerry has royally screwed over this franchise for 26 seasons in a row and for generations to come as a new Jones boy will inherit calling the shots as the team's "GM". Having a Jones GM is like playing 10 against 11.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Jerry is a fan. He is not a GM. Jerry falls in love with players, just like fans…he signs those said players to ridiculous contracts…those said players take Jerry’s money and run…

the detroit red wings equipment personnel lay out the teams jerseys this way, if the wings lose, the next game the names of the players are facing out so the players see the names when showing up for the next game, when they win the logo faces out. The point…you play for the logo…not individualism. This team plays for the name on their back…not the logo or each other. The soft fans of this team root for the name on the back, not the logo on the front. I root for the logo. I don’t care about pc bs or image…

This team represents modern day dallas and society…more worried about pc correctness and image … soft, soft, soft ….

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't understand why jerry is so hell bent on "doing it his way". Has that guy ever turned on a patriots game. Sure they used to show Brady and Bellicheck. But how many freaking times did they show Kraft and heap praise on him over the past 20 years! A lot is the answer!

Why can't jerry share some of the credit. He'd rather lose with his guy, than win and have to share it.
Narcissism is so simple an answer that most observers will not accept it as the explanation. Instead, it makes more sense consciously accepting "ego" as Jones' motivation.

Ego may drive an individual to not try a different method, such as hiring or naming someone else who is qualified as a general manager, to achieve wanted success over five years. Ten years. Perhaps fifteen years tops but 33 years and extremely likely for the duration of his remaining lifetime? That is and has always been much more than simple ego.

Jerry Jones is not just a National Football League franchise owner. He is also his franchise's President. Neither of those titles are enough for him although they give himself every advantage of claiming credit for franchise success. Jones' inner drive is not fueled solely by ego. Everyone has an ego but everyone, not even every other successful individual, remains inflexibly defiant attempting to achieve a singular goal without taking advantage of other alternatives.

Yet another draft looms ahead in a few months. Fans, media and other spectators will witness another Cowboys warroom hand in their picks for another year. Other teams' warrooms will be doing the same thing. Other teams have general managers. I do not know how many but some teams may have self-appointed general managers who are also the owner or co-owner of their franchise, just like Jerry Jones.

Television and webcams like show one difference between the Cowboys warroom and other teams' warrooms, just like they have done for many years. They will show Jerry Jones, sitting center seat, master of his domain.

Other teams' general managers have egos. Other teams' owners have egos. Other teams' owners slash general managers have egos. Do their egos urge them to be seen in the center of their warroom universe as often as a live feed permits it?

No.

Ego is not to blame. However, it is something some people can wrap their minds around and accept as the "real" reason.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

well it isnt about credit, it is about playing with his toy, and being involved, being spokesperson etc.
jerry enjoys all that, and if he was just owner he would not be playing with the toy, so no fun in that.

Jerry likes playing with his toy more than winning.
he is the optimist, and for all these years, he thought he could play with it and win, and so far no luck there.
he wants to eat his cake and have it too.

Fans dont help, as the stadium keeps filling up for home games and that empowers jerry.
if fans would not go to home games, jerry might be forced to hire a real gm.
But fans wont do that .
The stadium was full sunday, so jerry takes that as fans approve of the job he has done !

Brax

Reaction score
When the players start publicly complaining about the refs, you have a real cancer in the culture. That is a complete lack of leadership and accountability. Just pathetic.
Kinda funny players blame the ref's but Jerry said his team just got outplayed. MM and JG were bad hires and many high draft picks and bad contract point right to Jerry, the mastermind of 25 years of garbage teams.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
In the 26 years since the Cowboys last won a divisional playoff game, and last appeared in a conference championship, the following have been tried to get back to playoff glory:
  • 6 different head coaches
  • 7 different offensive coordinators
  • 8 different defensive coordinators
  • Over 70 different assistant coaches
  • 20 different QBs have started regular season games and 3 different QBs have started playoff games in that span.
  • One owner/GM
GMs get credit when you win championships. And they get criticism when they don’t. In fact, in 30 other NFL cities the ones not winning playoff games get fired. But not in Big D where if your name is Jones, there is no accountability for failure.

There’s plenty of blame to spread around tonight. The Players, the coaches…they all sucked today. But the guy MOST responsible- BY DESIGN- will be back again next year. One year older and not any wiser.
And people line up to overpay to watch them in person...

starfan1

Reaction score
I agree it starts at the top but I’m not sure it’s that simple
Jerry gets blame for overpaying the players he has and that list literally includes just about everyone not named Martin of recent maybe Tyron even though the last few years I question him

Jerry can be blamed for his coaching selections as outside of Parcells there has been bad decisions there

that said the players have to be held accountable as well. I am not sure why the players in Dallas gets punched in the mouth so frequently and don’t punch back . They are and have been soft

this team is also over rated in terms of talent and has been.
I won’t go into each player and who I think is over rated and underperforms but it’s across both sides of the ball

drafting 23 I’m not sure how we fix what needs fixed. Beyond Dak being a issue we are stuck the interior line is terrible meaning center and left guard

I’m not a big fan of blowing things up but there are multiple issues with this team most notably being they are stupid . No team shoots themself in the foot quite like the cowboys
I am really feeling just about like I did 2013 and that’s meh! Time to focus on something else like fixing my golf swing in time for spring

no sports franchise will make me lose sleep period ! It’s just not that serious and I don’t watch the others for personal reasons I won’t get into.

blueblood70

Reaction score
the offensive line, both with the execution and penalties cost us the game ..ill paste and cut this on all threads looking for answers. :popcorn: they torpedoed so many drives i lost count.:eek::mad::(