CFZ These Former Cowboys are the closest to HOF induction

Aven8

Reaction score
Zach Thomas was another steal Jimmy drafted, and the 5th round to boot.

I watched almost every game Zach ever played in person while at Tech. The dude was a stud.

I remember watching a Miami preseason game when he was a rookie and he literally made every tackle. Think he had something like18-20. He was amazing.

When people talk about instincts at the LB position he is who I always think about. He was 5’11 and 235 and wasn’t fast but man he could play football.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zach Thomas is Miami was pretty elite. 11 years of at least 99 tackles right around 150 tackles in 6 straight seasons. He had just an okay year his last year with Dallas but kinda forgettable.

Ware was a pretty elite pass rusher and should be in for sure.

Chucky Howley, Too Tall Jones, and Harvey Martin not being in is still baffling. Martin was DPOY, Super Bowl MVP, ROTY, one of the best pass rushers in the game pre-LT.

Howley was a 5 time all pro, Super Bowl MVP(granted in a loss) he probably has better credentials than many other great LBs in that era.

Too Tall was more memorable for his size and being so consistent for almost 15 years even with one year where he decided to be a boxer.

Harvey Martin should have been a first ballot Hall of Fame player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was surprised Ware didn't go into the HOF on first ballot, but he will maybe next year. Witten should be next in line as a first ballot HOFer. As for ROH, i would expect Ware, Witten and Romo to be going in on the next batch once Jerry sobers up. It's not just based on performance, also you gotta be brown nosed buddies with Jerry.
It's absurd that Ware was not 1st ballot. Were there any pass rushers in his era that were better?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zach Thomas was another steal Jimmy drafted, and the 5th round to boot.

I watched almost every game Zach ever played in person while at Tech. The dude was a stud.

I remember watching a Miami preseason game when he was a rookie and he literally made every tackle. Think he had something like18-20. He was amazing.

When people talk about instincts at the LB position he is who I always think about. He was 5’11 and 235 and wasn’t fast but man he could play football.
He even had 3 seasons with 3 INTs.

Cowboys fans loved Sean Lee and Zach Thomas had a better career. Lee probably could have had a similar career if he could have stayed healthy.

quickccc

Reaction score
I was surprised Ware didn't go into the HOF on first ballot, but he will maybe next year. Witten should be next in line as a first ballot HOFer. As for ROH, i would expect Ware, Witten and Romo to be going in on the next batch once Jerry sobers up. It's not just based on performance, also you gotta be brown nosed buddies with Jerry.

The good thing is DWare originated in the Jerry era, so he was super endeared and liked to have a chance at the ROH.
If he were in the Landry- Scramm era instead ... it would very likely be a totally different story and matter. ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys_Ring_of_Honor

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Too many Cowboys fans are unaware of Cornell Green’s greatness. He should be in the ROH. He made the 25th yr anniversary team, was a 4 time All Pro, 5 time pro bowler at both S and Corner.

Cornell was a shutdown corner and just as electric with the ball as Sanders. He wasn't a diva so he didn't get the same fan recognition.

quickccc

Reaction score
All three should be in.

Ware being in the top ten of all time for sacks, a SB ring(and being a factor in that), DPOY, all pros and probowls to me lock him in at some point.
Thomas would of been in the HOF if the Dolphins could of ever had more success than 1 and dones in the playoffs. To me, he's below Lewis but on the same level as Urlacher.
While Jason Taylor got famous from his total number of sacks, Thomas was the main cog behind that defense in the late 90's early 2000's. Jimmys failure in Miami was to get the offense to a good enough level.

I think Woody got overshadowed by all the talent from the 90's team. Even in his older age the impact he had on the defense was noticeable. Hell, his presence allowed Roy Williams to become a short lived star.

Woody was a super strong leader influence for this team. Roy W's game really took a nose dive once Woody retired.

Despite being on the most popular team in sports history, Woody doesn't get HOF credit and acculates because he doesn't get the more splash plays and high lights that
a John Lynch did in Buc town. The INTs (only 3 more than Woody) and smack lights and the Bucs rep as Tampa 2 may have a bigger influence on the voting committee.

But Woody could match up one on one with slot WRs, athletic pass catching TEs, ..something the physical limited Lynch could not do in the Bucs zone scheme.

quickccc

Reaction score
All three should be in.

Ware being in the top ten of all time for sacks, a SB ring(and being a factor in that), DPOY, all pros and probowls to me lock him in at some point.
Thomas would of been in the HOF if the Dolphins could of ever had more success than 1 and dones in the playoffs. To me, he's below Lewis but on the same level as Urlacher.
While Jason Taylor got famous from his total number of sacks, Thomas was the main cog behind that defense in the late 90's early 2000's. Jimmys failure in Miami was to get the offense to a good enough level.

I think Woody got overshadowed by all the talent from the 90's team. Even in his older age the impact he had on the defense was noticeable. Hell, his presence allowed Roy Williams to become a short lived star.

So then why was John Lynch Not overshadowed by all of the talent from his own Bucs team ? (wapp, rice, brooks, booger, barber, quarles, nickerson, kelly, etc.)

Why didn't all those all star guys prevent Lynch from being inducted in HOF ?

:huh:

Aven8

Reaction score
He even had 3 seasons with 3 INTs.

Cowboys fans loved Sean Lee and Zach Thomas had a better career. Lee probably could have had a similar career if he could have stayed healthy.

Sean Lee was the exact same player mentally and instinctively, but just couldn’t stay healthy unfortunately for us. I love LB’s like these guys. That’s why I don’t care at the combine etc if the dudes don’t run a 4.3 40 and can jump out of the gym. Give me LB’s that make almost every play and are instinctive over the dude that’s super athletic with no instincts (Jaylon).

Luckily we found one with Micha, who has it all.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zach Thomas played his last season with the Cowboys. He’ll always be known as a Miami Dolphin. Most fans probably forget or aren’t even aware that he played for the Cowboys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sean Lee was the exact same player mentally and instinctively, but just couldn’t stay healthy unfortunately for us. I love LB’s like these guys. That’s why I don’t care at the combine etc if the dudes don’t run a 4.3 40 and can jump out of the gym. Give me LB’s that make almost every play and are instinctive over the dude that’s super athletic with no instincts (Jaylon).

Zach Thomas is the poster kid for excellent football players who aren’t combine stars. He was an unbelievably good football player that didn’t have the usual measureables but was always making plays.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Zach Thomas is the poster kid for excellent football players who aren’t combine stars. He was an unbelievably good football player that didn’t have the usual measureables but was always making plays.
Yea but he certainly won’t go in as a Cowboy and won’t be listed as a Cowboy player inducted .

cowboyec

Reaction score
ware and woodson hopefully go in together.
then chuck howley and lee roy jordan.
ed too tall jones and harvey martin.
cornell green and everson walls.
don meredith and don perkins.
ralph neely and nate newton.
and so many more.
:bow:OUR☆HISTORY:bow:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, Parsons is Sean Lee's brain in a Bruce Carter body.