These guys will bust out on offense (Article)

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=theseguyswillbustoutonof&prov=tsn&type=lgns

These guys will bust out on offense

By Dan Pompei - SportingNews

Our annual look at the 11 young offensive players -- excluding rookies -- who should have a breakout season in 2005.

Quarterbacks

In his second season, Byron Leftwich arrived. In his third, he should take off. The Jaguars have tried to tailor their offense to Leftwich, one of the more perceptive quarterbacks in the league. For the first time in his NFL career, Leftwich will be allowed to use audibles. That will allow him the freedom to avoid bad play calls and take advantage of mismatches. The Jaguars also want to give Leftwich more opportunities to take shots downfield off play-action, which should highlight his big arm.

Receivers

There isn't a more physically gifted receiver than the Lions' Roy Williams, and he seems ready to show more of that ability. Williams came to the Lions not really knowing how to apply himself by NFL standards. He has learned how to work and prepare, and his performance this season should indicate that.

Atlanta is a team that needs a No. 1 receiver to emerge, and Michael Jenkins has the best chance of being that guy. A thin player who did not know how to play physically coming out of college, Jenkins gained 15 pounds in the Falcons' offseason program and is up to 220. He has put in extra time with quarterback Michael Vick in an attempt to improve their chemistry.

Tight end

Ben Watson of the Patriots appeared ready to produce as a rookie before a season-ending knee injury in practice the week before Game 2. When the rest of the team went home to celebrate for a month after the Patriots won the Super Bowl, the 2004 first-round pick stayed in Foxborough to work out. Watson is healthy now, and he's a weapon unlike any the Patriots have had.

Running backs

It took Kevin Jones awhile to get his NFL legs. Once he did, he was one of the finest backs in the NFL. If Jones produces for 16 games the way he did for the last eight of his rookie season, he will rush for 1,812 yards and average 5.3 yards per carry. He's more prepared to put together a full season, having added six pounds in the team's offseason conditioning program. The Lions' deep group of gifted receivers also should help Jones.

Several other running backs, especially Steven Jackson of the Rams and Julius Jones of the Cowboys, could be considered breakout candidates. But LaMont Jordan of the Raiders cannot be overlooked. He already has proved he can run in the NFL, with a 4.9-yard average per carry over four years. Now he just needs to prove he can carry the ball 25 times a game. He is certain to get a lot of handoffs with Norv Turner calling plays, and he's likely to see a lot of wide-open spaces with Randy Moss keeping the safeties from cheating up.

Tackles

Robert Gallery played well as a rookie, but he's capable of playing a lot better. With his will to improve and physical talent, Gallery could be one of the league's finest tackles this year. The Raiders plan to keep him at right tackle, where he encountered more elite pass rushers last season than he would have at left tackle.

You might not be familiar with Jordan Black, but Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis knows who he is. Black pancaked Lewis in a Monday game last season. The favorite to start at right tackle for the Chiefs, Black will be playing among a cluster of Pro Bowl players -- left tackle Willie Roaf, left guard Brian Waters, right guard Will Shields and tight end Tony Gonzalez. He also will be blocking for Priest Holmes, one of the game's most dazzling runners.

Center

After playing guard as a rookie, Jake Grove probably will move to center this season. The Raiders' 2004 second-round pick, Grove was a center in college and wants to play there. His athleticism and toughness can be best used at that position.

Guards

Chris Snee was outstanding as a rookie for the Giants, standing up to big, tough defensive tackles. With his nasty disposition and doggedness, Snee can emerge as a Pro Bowl-caliber player.

Rex Hadnot became a starter for the Dolphins late last season, and now he looks like the most physical, hard-nosed blocker on the team. He has the athleticism to get to the second level and the toughness to win the short-area battles.

Next week: defense.

Senior writer Dan Pompei covers the NFL for the Sporting News. E-mail him at pompei@sportingnews.com.

Eddie

Reaction score
That's it? Julius Jones? We know that. How about some other Cowboys who are ready to take a stand and establish themselves in the NFL.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Leftwich had a decent rookie year and then improved. His rating went up 9 points, he cut down on INTs and did not fumble. Certainly not garbage.

Eddie

Reaction score
Why such hate against Leftwich???

Leftwich was an excellent passer in college and stepped up tremendously from his rookie year last year. Even this article acknowledges his growth as a passer.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Leftwich > Bledsoe

Bring that garbage to the Cowboys any day, I'd be glad to have him.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Leftwich is a QB with a big body and a strong arm, as he gets smarter and spends more time in the NFL, he will get better do NOT underestimate Leftwich, i live in houston so i get see him twice a year, this players has a rocket for an arm, Matt Jones was a good WR they needed, for him, he will breakout this year.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Leftwich = garbage
care to explain? he looks studly to me, expecially with so few weapons compared to other young qbs.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The year before Leftwich left college, I was casually watching a football game between Marshall and I don't remember who. All of a sudden I saw this passer who was better than anyone I had seen in a looooong time. I never missed another Marshall game that I could watch here.

That kid is going places. He is as good a passer as anyone I have seen. This article is very good in my opinion on all positions.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Tio said:
care to explain? he looks studly to me, expecially with so few weapons compared to other young qbs.

Looks studly? Leftwich looks like Gary Coleman in the face! Hardly studly. :laugh1:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Fletch said:
Looks studly? Leftwich looks like Gary Coleman in the face! Hardly studly. :laugh1:

Well he's gun in that arm of his, and with some real WR he will be a dangerous foe, Oh BTWwe face them next year

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I at one point thought Lefty would be a good one, because he obviously has a great arm, but I'm not sold on him after watching him his first couple of years. Yes, he could improve this year,in fact, he should if he's everything most of you on here think he is. But I don't think he's athletic, (in fact he is slow) and has a lot of work to do before he's the next Dan Fouts.

shnagy

Reaction score
I went and watched one of his games his junior year against buffalo, and he threw for soemthin like 453 yards and 5 td's.........in the first half, the score was like 52-3 at halftime and he didnt play the whole second half. I realize it was Buffalo but it was incredible numbers for only one half of play.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Leftwich is a QB with a big body and a strong arm, as he gets smarter and spends more time in the NFL, he will get better do NOT underestimate Leftwich, i live in houston so i get see him twice a year, this players has a rocket for an arm, Matt Jones was a good WR they needed, for him, he will breakout this year.

I don't want to pull an Insult Dog on you and crap on your oppinion, but I agree with everything you said except the Matt Jones comment.

Leftwich does have a cannon, he also is very tough(broken leg in college). QB's usually break out in year 3, after they really get accustomed to the NFL, and have developed into a leader on their respective team. He showed alot of intelligence, and he didn't falter under pressure, as the Jags early season heroics showed.

Matt Jones is an intruiging PROPSECT, and this is where I don't see eye to eye with you. I think he can definately develope into a very good wide out, otherwise he would not have been drafted at #21(i believe). He has the physical tools to be great, but he's not going to come out and light things up his rookie year. Most rookie WR are inconsistant, and they have college experience at WR, Jones does not. He's going to need at least a year or two, IMO, to get used to the position.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Leftwich = garbage

I disagree. He's got "it" and he's gonna be a great one.

Hell, he's already better then our QB.

Viper

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I dunno, QD.

I still see the Ghost of Dan Fouts when I watch Lefty.

I see him more of a Steve Young. My desires to draft him were so high.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Personally I think in 2 years Leftwich will be one of the top 10 in the league. He is a passing machine and J-ville will continue to get him help. Good character kid too.