Things I Hope Happen At This Point

McMicah

Reaction score
1. I hope they draft a C in the 1st. Barton, JPJ and even Frazier are safer picks than Mims, Guyton, and Morgan. Don’t pull another Mazi. Plus Hoffman is AWFUL.

2. Let’s bench test Asim Richards before moving Tyler Smith to LT. Asim played REALLY well in preseason last year against starters (yes 1st two games played starters).

3. I want to see a ton of Eric Scott Jr over Jourdan Lewis. You gave up a pick for him. Let’s see how he does

4. Stop drafting players with position flex. That’s a really dumb way to get someone who is average at two positions and won’t master either of them.

5. Finally, let Dak play it out, or if you extend it, there can’t be a no trade clause. With endorsements and tax free income, I expect a guy who already has $100M on his pocket to not be petty about the image of being the highest paid player when he has earned nothing, and better QBs are taking less money to win.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree on the center position and want to play the best combination of Richards-Tyler-Bass at LT-LG.

Jarntt

Reaction score
1. I hope they draft a C in the 1st. Barton, JPJ and even Frazier are safer picks than Mims, Guyton, and Morgan. Don’t pull another Mazi. Plus Hoffman is AWFUL.

2. Let’s bench test Asim Richards before moving Tyler Smith to LT. Asim played REALLY well in preseason last year against starters (yes 1st two games played starters).

3. I want to see a ton of Eric Scott Jr over Jourdan Lewis. You gave up a pick for him. Let’s see how he does

4. Stop drafting players with position flex. That’s a really dumb way to get someone who is average at two positions and won’t master either of them.

5. Finally, let Dak play it out, or if you extend it, there can’t be a no trade clause. With endorsements and tax free income, I expect a guy who already has $100M on his pocket to not be petty about the image of being the highest paid player when he has earned nothing, and better QBs are taking less money to win.
While I hope he turns out a player I never understood the Eric scott love on here with some and you can be darned sure if he beats out Lewis it means signing Lewis was a mistake. Im not sure Scott makes the team. Give me Gilmore And I’m happy.

nickel D of Diggs, Bland and Gilmore and maybe Lewis in the slot and Hooker deep middle when it’s 3rd and long and we are way better than last year with two SS’s playing in the nickel

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good post.

I'm "all in" to draft JPJ. Very safe pick with high upside at a position of need...

I noticed Asim Richards at the Senior Bowl last year because he looked good vs some top rated DLinemen.
- It might come down to Asim at LT vs T.J. Bass at LG.
- i.e. Tyler Smith plays the position not filled by the winner of Asim vs Bass.

My guess is that Eric Scott Jr. stays on the outside for training camp.
- JLew looked good near the end of last season, but if Scott could play outside, then Bland could go back to playing more vs the slot WR.
- i.e. Bland at Nickel CB when they use 3 CBs and moves back outside when they only play 2 CBs.

- Which draft picks in the top 3 rounds have been a problem due being picked for "position flex" ?

- I don't see any benefit for the Cowboys to re-sign Dak in 2024.
- Dak wants to stay in Dallas.
- As you mentioned, more endorsement money and no state income tax.
- Even if they let him hit free agency, another team would have to radically outbid the Cowboys for Dak to leave.

- The real issue with Dak is finding replacement options.
- Do everything possible to make Trey Lance look good in the preseason.
- If he is good, then he can replace Dak in 2025.
- If he just looks good because it's preseason, it still gives the team some leverage vs Dak's agent.
- Fans/media will either proclaim Trey Lance a failure or proclaim him as better than Dak and call for him to start in 2024.
- Drafting a QB at some point would be a good idea.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't intend this as an argument...I just thought your comment about position flex was worth exploring.

Year Rnd Player
2023 1 Mazi Smith
They wanted a super strong 3-downs DT.
Almost all 1st round DTs in the past decade are expected to be 3-down types.
The fans/media labeled Mazi as a huge-arse run downs DT.
The Cowboys wanted a 3-downs player from the the git-go.
2023 2 Luke Schoonmaker
2023 3 DeMarvion Overshown
They wanted him as a LB regardless of his college position flex.
2023 4 Viliami Fehoko
They envisioned him as a 3tech DT that might require a year to get his weight up.
2023 5 Asim Richards
2023 6 Eric Scott
2023 6 Deuce Vaughn
2023 7 Jalen Brooks

Year Rnd Player
2022 1 Tyler Smith
2022 2 Sam Williams
2022 3 Jalen Tolbert
2022 4 Jake Ferguson
2022 5 Matt Waletzko
2022 5 DaRon Bland
2022 5 Damone Clark
2022 5 John Ridgeway
2022 6 Devin Harper

Year Rnd Player
2021 1 Micah Parsons
2021 2 Kelvin Joseph
2021 3 Osa Odighizuwa
2021 3 Chauncey Golston
They envisioned him as a 3tech DT that might require a year to get his weight up.
2021 3 Nahshon Wright
They wanted him at CB from day 1.
It was fans/medai that suggested Safety.
2021 4 Jabril Cox
2021 4 Josh Ball
2021 5 Simi Fehoko
2021 6 Quinton Bohanna
2021 6 Israel Mukuamu
Maybe position flex was part of their thought process.
I think they really wanted him at Safety but flipped him back to CB at times due to multiple CB injuries in 2022.
2021 7 Matt Farniok

Year Rnd Player
2020 1 CeeDee Lamb
2020 2 Trevon Diggs
2020 3 Neville Gallimore
2020 4 Reggie Robinson II
2020 4 Tyler Biadasz
2020 5 Bradlee Anae
2020 7 Ben DiNucci

McMicah

Reaction score
While I hope he turns out a player I never understood the Eric scott love on here with some and you can be darned sure if he beats out Lewis it means signing Lewis was a mistake. Im not sure Scott makes the team. Give me Gilmore And I’m happy.

nickel D of Diggs, Bland and Gilmore and maybe Lewis in the slot and Hooker deep middle when it’s 3rd and long and we are way better than last year with two SS’s playing in the nickel
I definitely wouldn’t characterize it as love for Eric Scott. I just genuinely hate when the Cowboys don’t put guys out there to see how they do.

Case in point. Last year when Tyron got hurt, I rejoiced at the idea of getting to see if Asim Richards could be a future swing tackle or even a potential starter. Who do they try out there? Chuma, who played awful and yet they still didn’t let Asim try.

Drives me bananas that they let contract $ dictate playing time

McMicah

Reaction score
Imagine wasting a 1st round pick on a Center lololol
What would you like? A WR that Dak can’t hit in stride? A defensive player built for a scheme that won’t exist next year when the entire staff is fired and we start from scratch?

Give us your short list at 24.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What would you like? A WR that Dak can’t hit in stride? A defensive player built for a scheme that won’t exist next year when the entire staff is fired and we start from scratch?

A trade up for a QB.

The same thing I want literally every year.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Let him battle it out with the draft pick.

Competition is a good thing.

You're always speaking down on him. You'd think Cowboys fans would hope he turns out worthy of his draft position and is great for us.
Naw Trey scares him. He might be able to make some short passes and keep the chain moving and not choke in big games. Mike has already dumbed it so far down, it can't hurt to put Trey in to run the child-like offense.

Ken

Reaction score

Nice job working the Dak dig in there...very creative.