Things that are still driving you nuts about the Cowboys

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
VCDefector;1762799 said:
1. Stupid penalties.
2. Newman dropping INTs.
3. Folk not driving kickoffs into the end zone.
4. Fasano not getting more catches (or not catching the ball???).
5. The Roy Williams thing.

Why complain when we are 8-1??

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
T.O81;1763152 said:
Why complain when we are 8-1??

First, I have already acknowledged this point earlier in the thread. Second, I also created a thread entitled, "Things that surprised you about the 2007 Cowboys". Believe me, there are far more things that I do like about this year's team. But while some prefer to drink nothing but Kool-Aid, I prefer a balanced perspective. I don't see anything wrong with that.

- I believe the 8-1 record does, in fact, reflect on the true talent level of this team. but I also believe that having some good fortune and staying healthy has a lot to do with our record as well. You gotta have all of those things to get to 8-1, IMO.

- That being said, the things I depicted as driving me nuts, some of them are things that could get this team beat later on in the year, such as the stupid penalties and the yards we give up on kickoff coverage. You take care of those two things right there and you are talking about a 14 point difference in a ball game.

I hope that helps clarify my position. If that is being too negative to you, that's fine. To each his own, I suppose.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Stupid penalties. Holds, etc are going to get called no matter what. Burnett and James penalties were just plain STUPID. THOSE are what tick me off more then anything.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
5 things that are still driving me nuts even at 8-1?

1. Poor tackling: In the words of Vince Lombardi: "It's all grab, grab, grab out there!". I hate seeing guys slip through one tackle after another, especially when we have them stopped short only to see them break through a sorry attempt and get the needed yardage. The guys are in the right position, reading the play correctly but not making the tackle. This has got to improve if we want to win the big one.

2. Stupid penalties: I can understand some of the holding calls, false starts, offsides, and that sort of thing as they are part of the game as guys try to do their job. It is the dumb ones like Burnett's taunting call or Owens' numerous stupid calls (although a couple of the delays for spiking were total BS). These things just give the other team yardage and points when they didn't earn them.

3. Dropped passes: Whether by the WRs or DBs every opportunity to catch a pass is a potential big play for us. INTs are game-changers and we have to get better at hanging onto them.

4. Run blocking: Our pass protection is excellent but we are not opening many holes for our RBs. We could be totally dominating our opponents if we could mount a more consistent running game early on. We have good RBs but they need some room to run. With the size of our OLs I expected them to be better at it than they are.

5. Special Teams/Return game: Both the returns and the coverage teams are not producing like they could be. I can't remember a single forced fumble by our coverage units so far this year and we tend to give up pretty good field position most of the time, particularly on kickoffs. Crayton is not a good return man and is most likely to fair-catch the ball even with a lot of room to run. I was excited seeing Stanback out there as he has some guts and quickness. I'm looking forward to his return :D . Our kickers are doing a great job but the coverage teams are not and our returns are less than spectacular.

I am very happy with how the team is playing but there is always room for improvement.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
burmafrd;1763236 said:
Stupid penalties. Holds, etc are going to get called no matter what. Burnett and James penalties were just plain STUPID. THOSE are what tick me off more then anything.

Bradie James didn't do anything, it was Brandon Jacobs who stared it and then flopped down when James patted him on the helmet and that was all the ref saw. James should have either decked him or left him alone altogether.

Brandon Jacobs has quickly become my most hated player surpassing even the likes of Sean Taylor, Ray Lewis, and Adam Jones. Big mouth, cheap shots, and a weasely attitude, the guy just gets under my skin and ticks me off. I'm looking forward to seeing him get JACKED UP on a regular basis as opposing players also get tired of his junk.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no problem with people claiming that this team still has things they can improve on. Too man penalties clearly is something that this team can clean up. I think it is great being 8-1 knowing you can do better.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
There are plenty of tickets sold that aren't by season ticket holders. And While someone might be willing and able to spend $70 to go to a game every week, doesn't mean it's wrong of them to sell one of those tickets for $400 if they can.

If I lived in Dallas I'd get season tickets, and plan to go to every game, but if along the way there was a game like against the Pats where tickets were going extremely high, like $500 or more, then unless I'm really well off, it'd be kind of stupid not to sell it. I would not pay $500 a ticket to see a game, and if that's how much they're going for, then by not selling it, that's pretty much what I'd be doing.

A lot of people like myself would be able to afford the season ticket prices, but are still not wealthy enough that an extra $500 or so dollars wouldn't be beneficial. If given the choice of 9 games (2 preseaon) at $200 or all 10 games at $700, it seems to me a no brainer. I could sacrafice seeing a game in person for $500.

And sometimes emergencies come up in people's lives where they could use a little extra $$. Life doesn't always go as planned.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1764898 said:
There are plenty of tickets sold that aren't by season ticket holders. And While someone might be willing and able to spend $70 to go to a game every week, doesn't mean it's wrong of them to sell one of those tickets for $400 if they can.

If I lived in Dallas I'd get season tickets, and plan to go to every game, but if along the way there was a game like against the Pats where tickets were going extremely high, like $500 or more, then unless I'm really well off, it'd be kind of stupid not to sell it. I would not pay $500 a ticket to see a game, and if that's how much they're going for, then by not selling it, that's pretty much what I'd be doing.

A lot of people like myself would be able to afford the season ticket prices, but are still not wealthy enough that an extra $500 or so dollars wouldn't be beneficial. If given the choice of 9 games (2 preseaon) at $200 or all 10 games at $700, it seems to me a no brainer. I could sacrafice seeing a game in person for $500.

And sometimes emergencies come up in people's lives where they could use a little extra $$. Life doesn't always go as planned.

Thats fine.

I buy the tickets for the experience and the love of the game.

Some buy them knowing there is an opportunity to make money, I guess thats fine too. I think it is as low as you can get, but hey money is the most important thing to people so what can I do.

oh and take a peek on ebay and the cowboys ticket exchange site, those are season ticket holders selling to make a profit, not just for this game but I see alot of the same people gouging on each of the next three games. Its sad. I need an extra in my section for this weeks game for another person going with us and the only ones I can find the season ticket holder selling them on ebay emailed me back today and told me he can get between 250-275 for them. Its a 54 dollar ticket.

The sad part is these will probably not sell and then be pawned off in the lot before the game and either sold at face or 10% above. Its a bummer.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
1. Penalties - pre-snap and all those stupid 15 yders. Get rid of those and I would be happy. I can deal with the occasional holding or pass interference.

2. Run Blocking - for such a mammoth OL, they run block like a pee-wee league football team going up against sumo wrestlers.

3. Kick Coverage - i find it special that we allow other teams to start around the 50 after KOs. Thank goodness our defense has been awesome this year.

4. Kick Returns - why do all of our KRs seem to run right into the pile? is it too much to ask for a simply juke or two? I seriously wish that JJ and Stanback were back there on KOs.

As far as I am concerned.....I don't care about Folk's kickoffs.....as long as he continues to be money kicking FGs and PATs, then I could care less that his KOs only go to the 10 yd line.

We are 8-1 and I know it is legit for a few reasons:

TO can't buy any love from the refs (They get him for dropping the ball....BOGUS. They can't seem to call force outs for him.....BOGUS).

We can't seem to buy a holding penalty against the opposing teams OL. Sure the Giants got called for 2 in the second half, but those were lame calls, in comparison to all the obvious holding the refs overlooked in the first half.

Other teams can spike the ball, throw it, or kick it and no penalty is called. They can talk trash to us and do some underhanded activities in front of the refs, NO FLAGS....however, the refs seem to have it out for us with some of those taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct calls, as well as those insanely stupid delay of game calls.

I guess the Cowboys are the only team who gets penalized for a horsecollar. Merroidman did a horsecollar on Sunday Night and no flag. I have seen several this year not called. Let Roy get near the collar and it is a penalty.

While we have been pretty fortunate on the injury front, we have still yet to have both starting corners play completely healthy at the same time this year. We lost our starting NT before the season. Our #2 WR has yet to see the light of day. So right now, we are finally getting healthy.....knock on wood that we continue the clean bill of health.

It sure does feel good to be 8-1....honestly, I am finding it increasingly difficult to recall the lean years under Campo the Clown, thankfully.