Things that can stop Dallas...

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
From making a deep run in the playoffs.

These are in no particular order.

1. Free safety - Unless someone steps up to adequate, teams are going to expoit this weakness. Davis may have been the worst starter in the NFL last season. When teams needed to make a play, they went at him or to areas exposed by people cheating to help him. One or two huge plays over FS can turn a playoff game.

2. Drew Bledsoe - As said, he has a history of "coming up small" when it matters, is notorious for fading down the stretch and plays poorly in inclement weather. I guess the best analogy is that he could be a decent "bus driver" when he realizes that is what he is, not a formula one driver.

3. Injuries to key players - Last year Adams was key due to inadequate backups. This year the team could survive losing Adams thanks to Fabini but it cannot lose Ferguson or Ware. The depth just doesn't bring to the table anything close to what those two do.

4. Coaching - There's been times in the last few years where Dallas was simply out-coached during the game. Very few times has Dallas spotted another team's weakness and exploited it and "aggressive" isn't a dirty word.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Surely you can find more than 4 reasons why we suck.

If the coach and QB suck, we probably won't win a game. :rolleyes:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
StanleySpadowski said:

1. Free safety - Unless someone steps up to adequate, teams are going to expoit this weakness. Davis may have been the worst starter in the NFL last season. When teams needed to make a play, they went at him or to areas exposed by people cheating to help him. One or two huge plays over FS can turn a playoff game.

2. Drew Bledsoe - As said, he has a history of "coming up small" when it matters, is notorious for fading down the stretch and plays poorly in inclement weather. I guess the best analogy is that he could be a decent "bus driver" when he realizes that is what he is, not a formula one driver.

3. Injuries to key players - Last year Adams was key due to inadequate backups. This year the team could survive losing Adams thanks to Fabini but it cannot lose Ferguson or Ware. The depth just doesn't bring to the table anything close to what those two do.

4. Coaching - There's been times in the last few years where Dallas was simply out-coached during the game. Very few times has Dallas spotted another team's weakness and exploited it and "aggresive" isn't a dirty word.

#4 is what bothers me the most! For some reason or the other, I just cannot acquire a taste for Parcells' method of "playing close to the vest" kind of football...

I like the gameplan to be agressive from the get go, like the team did against the Green Slime Parakeets in the first game last year...!

This "playing to win" in the final minutes of a game is not the kinda of ball I like to see...but, if the Tuna thinks it works...OK?

:star:

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
5Stars said:
#4 is what bothers me the most! For some reason or the other, I just cannot acquire a taste for Parcells' method of "playing close to the vest" kind of football...

I like the gameplan to be agressive from the get go, like the team did against the Green Slime Parakeets in the first game last year...!

This "playing to win" in the final minutes of a game is not the kinda of ball I like to see...but, if the Tuna thinks it works...OK?

As opposed to playing to lose maybe? I don't think these comments came across as intended.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
The only thing that can stop us is injuries, and poor offensive line play. I expect to be in the playoffs this season.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
Surely you can find more than 4 reasons why we suck.

If the coach and QB suck, we probably won't win a game. :rolleyes:

I said "can stop", not "will stop".

Are you so confident that Bledsoe is going to step up huge after making a career of not doing that? You can't see "playing not to lose" rather than "playing to win" coming back to bite Dallas in the playoffs where one play can end a season?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Next_years_Champs said:
As opposed to playing to lose maybe? I don't think these comments came across as intended.

Yeah, my comments are a little ambiquous...! :eek:

But, to me the Tuna tries to "play to win" at the end of the game, or "play not to lose" at the end of the game! :eek:

Damn, maybe I don't know what I want to say! :eek:

:starspin

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Next_years_Champs said:

it's ok. people tend to take them as they want to vs. intended anyway. : )

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
iceberg said:
it's ok. people tend to take them as they want to vs. intended anyway. : )

You are very wise, grasshopper! :)

aznhalf

Reaction score
I don't view Bledsoe as a bus driver.

To me a bus driver type QB is one who just makes the easy throws and takes care of the ball.

Bledsoe has the ability to make people open with his arm and is able to make the spectacular throws when he has time.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:

4. Coaching - There's been times in the last few years where Dallas was simply out-coached during the game. Very few times has Dallas spotted another team's weakness and exploited it and "aggressive" isn't a dirty word.
Good ones...

Besides the obvious injury problems that could sink any team, here are some more:

1) The O-line simply not being good enough, even if healthy. Rivera hasn't played well, Kosier might not be able to handle huge mauling DTs like LA could, and Fabini might be diminishing due to age.

2) Carpenter struggling. Everyone, including me, likes him -- but what if he starts slow? He is a rookie, after all. And there's hardly anyone else to even play the position if Carpenter isn't good.

You could even say the same thing for Ayodele playing a new position, except that I think Fowler could be serviceable there if need be.

3) Julius continuing to be injury-prone. I think his injuries have been flukey, but if he gets hurt again it'll take a lot of steam out of our offense. Barber is rock-solid but can't break anything big.

4) Dare I say the initials? If a certain WR starts grousing...

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
5Stars said:
Yeah, my comments are a little ambiquous...! :eek:

But, to me the Tuna tries to "play to win" at the end of the game, or "play not to lose" at the end of the game! :eek:

Damn, maybe I don't know what I want to say! :eek:

:starspin

LOL!
Yeah I have those days as well, I really understood the gist of your comments. I took you to mean Parcells plays "not to lose" late in the games.
I just thought you might want to rephrase them.

In my opinion Parcells game planning is really similar to Tom Landrys, both used run oriented play calling to try and win games without exposing their entire playbook. Both would throw out the stops during critical times especially late in the season. I personally think Parcells strategy is based with an eye toward the entire season rather than a game by game perspective.

In my mind both coaches played close to the cuff with the strategy of having something new left in the late season showdowns. I also think that this or a similar strategy will win championships when combined with the right mix of talent, and indeed has probably won most of the championships by a wide margin.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:

You know whats funny.... is that while I can see your points.... we were STILL only a kicker and few plays here and there from going 11-5 or 12-4 and maybe a good playoff run.... just my thoughts....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
5Stars said:

I know what you're talking about... but maybe Parcells simply hasn't had the weapons to play as "open" with the gameplan as he wanted to.

We do have more weapons than we have had... so maybe he'll open things up a bit this year. Who knows?

Parcells will probably always be a little close to the vest... but he may be more open than he has been.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Bledsoe is why we want make it. Sorry I just do not have faith in the guy :grrr:

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
2. Drew Bledsoe - As said, he has a history of "coming up small" when it matters, is notorious for fading down the stretch and plays poorly in inclement weather.

Do you have any basis for any of these claims?

They all look completely made-up to me.

wileedog

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:

Not arguing your point, but I think this is more of a coaching philosophy thing. Parcells would rather play to his own teams strengths then let the other team dictate his strategy. That's why we rarely if ever come in with a radically different game plan or big halftime adjustment based on who we are playing.

We can debate the merits of this probably all day long, but I think in Parcell's mind even if the other team is weak in the secondary, its doesn't mean your team built to pound the ball and/or having offensive line protection problems is going to be successfull throwing it 50 times.

Its a philosophy IMO that will work better if you have a really good team. Jimmy for example rarely came in with any totally unique game plans because he didn't have to - nobody was going to stop Emmitt anyway. And it will probably fare better for Bill too once the talent level gets to where he wants it.

Is the talent enough now? Dunno, guess we'll see this year. But if not then its a very legitimate question mark. If it is and we avoid the injury plague then i think it diminishes as a concern significantly.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score

AsthmaField said:
I know what you're talking about... but maybe Parcells simply hasn't had the weapons to play as "open" with the gameplan as he wanted to.

We do have more weapons than we have had... so maybe he'll open things up a bit this year. Who knows?

Parcells will probably always be a little close to the vest... but he may be more open than he has been.

Agreed. I don't like keeping pace with the opponent and then relying on that one final drive and ensuing field goal attempt to dictate my team's fate from week to week.

The thing that encourages me about opening up the gameplans this year is largely based on that Philthy game last year, too. That was game 5 of the year, the game before Flozell went down. Parcells seemed very encouraged at that point about the team's potential, based on press conference quotes. Clearly, the loss of Adams changed the team's philosophy for the rest of the season.

My hope is that, with Adams back, we can quickly return to the level of performance that we displayed against Philly in that game. That team was really getting it together at that point and JJones had 70 yds in the first half, I think. Having TO and a year's more experience in the 3-4 Defense should only further our development.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Frankly most of those so called reasons are fantasy. Davis was not great but he was not bad. He was OK. We get more pressure and he will be more then OK. Bledsoe is not really an issue but some people want to make him so- he made some big plays last year so your so called small is a joke. NO TEAM can take injuries to key players - what happens to NE if Brady goes down? ETC. INVALID. Coaching- BP does not like to gamble much- especially if he does not think he has the horses. This year could be very different.