Things that can stop Dallas...

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Just 3 words can stop us....Bad Line Play.

By either the o-line or the d-line.

Kevin

Commanders Fan
Reaction score
I believe the Cowboys chances at success this year is directly proportionate to the performance of the offensive line. It's easy to cast off an old QB as a washup (see 2004 Mark Brunell), but any NFL QB is going to hit his mark if he's given enough time.

A good offensive line will not only provide pass protection though. If the Cowboy's running game can become more effective, the connection between Bledsoe and Owens will develope more rapidly.

So there...in my opinion a solid offensive line is the key to success. Not only for Dallas, but for everyone. Seeing as how the Cowboys' line struggled mightily this past year, I believe that should be a prime focus.

I haven't paid much attention to the Cowboys offseason acquisitions besides Draft Day and TO...was the O-Line issue addressed at all?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
From making a deep run in the playoffs.

These are in no particular order.

1. Free safety - Unless someone steps up to adequate, teams are going to expoit this weakness. Davis may have been the worst starter in the NFL last season. When teams needed to make a play, they went at him or to areas exposed by people cheating to help him. One or two huge plays over FS can turn a playoff game.

2. Drew Bledsoe - As said, he has a history of "coming up small" when it matters, is notorious for fading down the stretch and plays poorly in inclement weather. I guess the best analogy is that he could be a decent "bus driver" when he realizes that is what he is, not a formula one driver.

3. Injuries to key players - Last year Adams was key due to inadequate backups. This year the team could survive losing Adams thanks to Fabini but it cannot lose Ferguson or Ware. The depth just doesn't bring to the table anything close to what those two do.

4. Coaching - There's been times in the last few years where Dallas was simply out-coached during the game. Very few times has Dallas spotted another team's weakness and exploited it and "aggressive" isn't a dirty word.

rofl.
Was this an effort to get in all biases in one post:)

The coach and QB on any team can cost them games. If we get into the playoffs it will be largely because of them and any run at all will depend upon them. Those are not team weaknesses by any means.

1. Injuries and a tough NFCE.

Thats about it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kevin [Commanders Fan] said:
I believe the Cowboys chances at success this year is directly proportionate to the performance of the offensive line. It's easy to cast off an old QB as a washup (see 2004 Mark Brunell), but any NFL QB is going to hit his mark if he's given enough time.

A good offensive line will not only provide pass protection though. If the Cowboy's running game can become more effective, the connection between Bledsoe and Owens will develope more rapidly.

So there...in my opinion a solid offensive line is the key to success. Not only for Dallas, but for everyone. Seeing as how the Cowboys' line struggled mightily this past year, I believe that should be a prime focus.

I haven't paid much attention to the Cowboys offseason acquisitions besides Draft Day and TO...was the O-Line issue addressed at all?

define "addressed".

we signed kosier. a det OL who was more or less a sleeper we hope will do well.
we signed fabini.
flo and rivera *should* be healthy.
petitti we *hope* gets better.
al johnson got 11 lbs bigger or something like that. (all we really needed was 11 more lbs - the irony!)
and we got (2) 7th round picks who shoulda been FA walk ons and 1 is already out for the year.

we're fine dude. rock solid.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
was the O-Line issue addressed at all?

we jettisoned the immobile LA for the quick, mobile Kyle Kosier at LG, signed the solid veteran Jason Fabini to compete with Pettiti for the RT job, Fabini will also serve as the swing tackle, just in case Flo gets hurt, and drafted 2 guys in the 7th round as developmental prospects

the biggest change we have going for us is getting Flozell ADams back at LT, last year our offense did pretty well with him in the lineup, in fact, Bledsoe was the NFL's #1 rated QB while Flo was starting, then add TO's ability to seperate from man-coverage, Witten being able to run more pass-routes, the 2-TE offense, I think we'll be fine on O

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
cowboywho? said:
And how your going to score more points then us?
Let me guess TO right?

answer 1: T.O.
answer 2: Yes.

Bet you wish you had a T.O.:starspin

Manster68

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
we jettisoned the immobile LA for the quick, mobile Kyle Kosier at LG, signed the solid veteran Jason Fabini to compete with Pettiti for the RT job, Fabini will also serve as the swing tackle, just in case Flo gets hurt, and drafted 2 guys in the 7th round as developmental prospects

the biggest change we have going for us is getting Flozell ADams back at LT, last year our offense did pretty well with him in the lineup, in fact, Bledsoe was the NFL's #1 rated QB while Flo was starting, then add TO's ability to seperate from man-coverage, Witten being able to run more pass-routes, the 2-TE offense, I think we'll be fine on O

See, that is what will help out the offensive line the most. The additions of Owens and Fasano.

Don't forget, one of the aspects of Dallas' offensive troubles last season was backside blocking. Fasano plays a role here - and will be an upgrade over Campbell. Owens, on the other hand, stretches the defense. This will allow the line better opportunities to open holes for Julius, Marion, and Tyson.

lspain1

Reaction score
Manster, I understand your point....I'm just not sure I agree. We had Keyshawn last year and and a healthy Glenn. While they aren't Owens, they were far from the worst in the NFL. They also were nowhere near good enough to compensate for the lousy OL play. The root of your argument is that TO is a special player and will force defenses to modify their alignment. I beleive Owens is not going to be enough if our OL does not improve.

We didn't run the ball well last year (except in spots), and it is a clear weakness until the Cowboys prove otherwise. I believe our opponents will take the same strategy they did last year and that was stop the run first! They will force the Cowboys to throw and pass protect (which we did badly). It was the formula that beat the Cowboys last year and we will see it again this year.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Manster, I understand your point....I'm just not sure I agree. We had Keyshawn last year and and a healthy Glenn. While they aren't Owens, they were far from the worst in the NFL.
The difference will be that with KJ, he could catch a 7-9 yd pass to beat the blitz, .. the defense didn't care, they would just blitz again.

7-9 yds occasionally, who cares.

But with TO, that same 7-9 pass can turn into a 40 or 50 TD play.

The defense will be a little more cautious to blitz.

burmafrd

Reaction score
TO can hurt you so much more then Key that it is ridiculous to compare them. We were scoring points and doing very well offensively even with the running game problems untill we lost the Hotel. Fabini was a very solid guy for the Jets- 119 straight games or something like that- and while not an all pro was good enough. Kosier had several teams VERY interested- so we should have SOME confidence there- at the VERY LEAST he will be able to reach guys that LA could only look at. If AL keeps that extra 17 pounds he will be a lot harder to shove backwards. A healthy Rivera was a Pro Bowl guard. It all comes down to injuries- and this year we have more depth. I think that Columbo and Peterson will contribute this year. We have potentially the best offense in the NFL: we have people who have made big plays at every skill position and new guys that have a lot of potential. There is hardly anyone in the NFL that can cover Glenn one on one and the same for TO; Witten has proven himself, Fasano certainly has the pedigree; and JJ has proven that he can take over a game all by himself when he gets halfway decent blocking.
Bledsoe if given good time (not the PERFECT protection some morons keep claiming he needs) can slice up any defense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
The difference will be that with KJ, he could catch a 7-9 yd pass to beat the blitz, .. the defense didn't care, they would just blitz again.

7-9 yds occasionally, who cares.

But with TO, that same 7-9 pass can turn into a 40 or 50 TD play.

The defense will be a little more cautious to blitz.

Using the 2 TE sets with 2 TE who can catch the ball also may force teams to back off a little on the blitz. Also when a D sees 2 TE they tend to look for the run so that may help to slow defenses down. As for your take on TO I think your dead on, no team is going to want to man up on TO because of his ability to make the catch and break the tackle for the big gainer.

Cowchips

Reaction score
aznhalf said:
I don't view Bledsoe as a bus driver.

To me a bus driver type QB is one who just makes the easy throws and takes care of the ball.

Bledsoe has the ability to make people open with his arm and is able to make the spectacular throws when he has time.

Bledsoe demonstrates on a regular basis that he still has the best arm in football. Given protection, he will put another 4,000 yd season on his resume.

As for his gaffs. His get magnified out of proportion because everyone focuses on him. Tom Brady threw 4 ints against KC last year and Peyton Manning absolutely sucks during the playoffs.

Here is a question for you. In a playoff game, 2 minutes left, down by 3, who would you want behind center. Peyton (never won a playoff game) Manning or Drew Bledsoe? I'd take Bledsoe, but that's just me :)

Cowchips

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Using the 2 TE sets with 2 TE who can catch the ball also may force teams to back off a little on the blitz. Also when a D sees 2 TE they tend to look for the run so that may help to slow defenses down. As for your take on TO I think your dead on, no team is going to want to man up on TO because of his ability to make the catch and break the tackle for the big gainer.

Teams can't double cover TO, Glenn, Witten and blitz. This season is gonna be very interesting. I think Bledsoe will throw for 4,500-5,000 yards and the haters will be saying he only did it because of TO. Drew Bledsoe, the HOFr everyone loves to hate :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowchips said:
Teams can't double cover TO, Glenn, Witten and blitz. This season is gonna be very interesting. I think Bledsoe will throw for 4,500-5,000 yards and the haters will be saying he only did it because of TO. Drew Bledsoe, the HOFr everyone loves to hate :)

They can blitz and I'm sure Defenses will test us. It will be the job of the Cowboys offense to make teams pay when they come at us with the blitz. Burn the blitz and teams will back off.. Let me also say I think people will be very impressed by the work of Fasano, the kid is a hard nose player just like Witten.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Cowchips said:
Bledsoe demonstrates on a regular basis that he still has the best arm in football. Given protection, he will put another 4,000 yd season on his resume.

As for his gaffs. His get magnified out of proportion because everyone focuses on him. Tom Brady threw 4 ints against KC last year and Peyton Manning absolutely sucks during the playoffs.

Here is a question for you. In a playoff game, 2 minutes left, down by 3, who would you want behind center. Peyton (never won a playoff game) Manning or Drew Bledsoe? I'd take Bledsoe, but that's just me :)

What has has Bledsoe realy ever done in a playoff not much he has a 4-3 record threw 4 pics in the Superbowl

Last I looked Bledsoe was never even a league MVP so what ever

Then Brady throwing 4 picks one game who cares last I looked the guy was sporting 3 SB rings the team got after never returning Bledsoe to the lineup

I would taken a lot of QB's over Bledsoe including Payton

juck

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
From making a deep run in the playoffs.

These are in no particular order.

1. Free safety - Unless someone steps up to adequate, teams are going to expoit this weakness. Davis may have been the worst starter in the NFL last season. When teams needed to make a play, they went at him or to areas exposed by people cheating to help him. One or two huge plays over FS can turn a playoff game.

2. Drew Bledsoe - As said, he has a history of "coming up small" when it matters, is notorious for fading down the stretch and plays poorly in inclement weather. I guess the best analogy is that he could be a decent "bus driver" when he realizes that is what he is, not a formula one driver.

3. Injuries to key players - Last year Adams was key due to inadequate backups. This year the team could survive losing Adams thanks to Fabini but it cannot lose Ferguson or Ware. The depth just doesn't bring to the table anything close to what those two do.

4. Coaching - There's been times in the last few years where Dallas was simply out-coached during the game. Very few times has Dallas spotted another team's weakness and exploited it and "aggressive" isn't a dirty word.

I think NEGATIVE fans are what holds the team back.Now name 5 reason that we will be very good this year.:mad:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Manster, I understand your point....I'm just not sure I agree. We had Keyshawn last year and and a healthy Glenn. While they aren't Owens, they were far from the worst in the NFL. They also were nowhere near good enough to compensate for the lousy OL play.

last year, esp. in the 2nd half, one of our biggest problems were our receivers failing to get seperation, Key because that wasn't his strong-point, and Glenn because he was getting doubled, plus add the fact that Witten was receiving double-teams, and was staying back to help the pass-protection, TO's ability to seperate from tight man-coverage alone, is going to be a big help for Bledsoe, and our Oline isn't going to be playing as poorly as it did in the 2nd half of last year IMO

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I believe the Cowboys chances at success this year is directly proportionate to the performance of the offensive line.

I believe the Commanders chances at success this year are directly proportionate to the amount of time Sean Taylor plays the role of prison beetch and how often little Gibbs whines to the NFL front office.