Things that surprised you about the 2007 Cowboys

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyeric8;1763742 said:
I would not go WOW over Reeves. Yes he has been a pretty good backup which is what we needed, but I don't think there is a wow factor in there anywhere.

He's a "backup" who has started every game.

Take a look at the defensive stats.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1763990 said:
They lost to the PATS! I really thought we was going to win at home.

All in all I don't think it is a bad thing, it showed the team they can compete with a team like the Pats but also that this team has a lot of work ahead of them

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I figured Romo would continue to make plays, but I thought he would be a little more inconsistent and make more mistakes than he has. I'm surprised that he has been excellent in eight out of nine games -- and even worked his magic to win the other game.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
-Romo having a HUGE year (especially w/out TGlenn)
-averaging 30+ a game (I knew the offense had potential but dayum!)
-TO being a class act
-8-1!!!!!!!! (I was looking for 11 total wins this season)
-no road losses so far!

CNY Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
It has to be Romo.
Everyone said that the other teams would stop him once they figured him out . Also I thought about The sophomore jinx theory.

Glad They and I were wrong.:bow:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Two not mentioned (I think).

1. Wade Phillips as head coach. I'll admit I didn't like the choice of either Phillips or Norv (thank goodness Jerry didn't pick him). I thought he'd be a bit laid back and that our team would reflect his personality in a negative way. I was wrong. I think he's good for this organization because he knows when and how to exert his authority. And his personality fits well with ...

2. Jason Garrett as offensive coordinator. I don't think any other bull-headed, stubborn coach would have been willing to accept a hand-picked offensive coordinator, especially one who never functioned in that role previously. The question was whether Garrett had enough experience to be an offensive coordinator. I think the answer to that question is a resounding YES. Garrett has been brilliant. And the great part of the Phillips-Garrett team is that Phillips' personality allows him to reduce his ego so that someone else can get the credit. Plus, both these guys are excellent at making halftime adjustments. I was reading an post from a San Diego Chargers fan who was bemoaning Norv and Tollner (spelling), their defensive head coach. He was saying that Phillips had the ability to adapt a scheme to his players and not make the players fit into a scheme. He also said Phillips was great at in-game adjustments. I think we've seen that in almost every game this year where the Cowboys have come out and regain the lead in games - even the Patriots game.
Personally, I think the Cowboys held back a bit in terms of defensive planning against the Patriots. I really don't think the Boyz showed their entire hand. If we do meet them in the Super Bowl, I think Phillips has some wrinkles up his sleeves.

The difference in coaching is the major surprise because under Parcells there's no way he would have taken the shackles off the offense or the defenise. We would have been approaching games like we did the Seattle Seahawks game. :mad:

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
zrinkill;1763966 said:
Interception Leaders

1. Anthony Henry

Good Idea.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

And yes Reeves has started every game DUE TO INJURY, something edunce fails to realize

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1764327 said:
Two not mentioned (I think).

1. Wade Phillips as head coach. I'll admit I didn't like the choice of either Phillips or Norv (thank goodness Jerry didn't pick him). I thought he'd be a bit laid back and that our team would reflect his personality in a negative way. I was wrong. I think he's good for this organization because he knows when and how to exert his authority. And his personality fits well with ...

2. Jason Garrett as offensive coordinator. I don't think any other bull-headed, stubborn coach would have been willing to accept a hand-picked offensive coordinator, especially one who never functioned in that role previously. The question was whether Garrett had enough experience to be an offensive coordinator. I think the answer to that question is a resounding YES. Garrett has been brilliant. And the great part of the Phillips-Garrett team is that Phillips' personality allows him to reduce his ego so that someone else can get the credit. Plus, both these guys are excellent at making halftime adjustments. I was reading an post from a San Diego Chargers fan who was bemoaning Norv and Tollner (spelling), their defensive head coach. He was saying that Phillips had the ability to adapt a scheme to his players and not make the players fit into a scheme. He also said Phillips was great at in-game adjustments. I think we've seen that in almost every game this year where the Cowboys have come out and regain the lead in games - even the Patriots game.
Personally, I think the Cowboys held back a bit in terms of defensive planning against the Patriots. I really don't think the Boyz showed their entire hand. If we do meet them in the Super Bowl, I think Phillips has some wrinkles up his sleeves.

The difference in coaching is the major surprise because under Parcells there's no way he would have taken the shackles off the offense or the defenise. We would have been approaching games like we did the Seattle Seahawks game. :mad:
Good post, especially since the "talking heads" were beating Jerry J. down for hiring an OC before having his HC in place!

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;1764379 said:
Good post, especially since the "talking heads" were beating Jerry J. down for hiring an OC before having his HC in place!

Yes. There is no doubt that Jerry Jones deserves much credit. He made a number of critical decisions this offseason (e.g., coaching hires, a couple of key FA signings), and every one of those decisions have turned out extremely well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anthony Henry. :bow:

Despite being injured, he has been solid when called upon. Oh, as an added bonus, he leads the NFL in interceptions. I really can't say enough about his play this year. Outstanding!!!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Hostile;1763829 said:
1. The 8-1 record. We've had impact players hurt and still only have one loss. If it's a dream I don't want to wake up.

2. The fact TO has not been even close to any kind of distraction.

3. How much fun the coaching staff has even in front of the players.

4. The meteoric rise of Tony Romo from obscure backup to 67 million dollar man. Probably the most gratifying thing so far.

5. That some fans still aren't happy and spend all week frantically searching for anything to whine about.

Nice ....

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
2 road statements in a row against NFC East teams in November. Very nice work Wade.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
1. Jason Garrett's ability to gameplan
2. Brian Stewart's ability to gameplan
3. Terrell Owens's turnaround
4. Tony Romo's growth as a premier quarterback
5. The linebackers taking the big step higher.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1765467 said:
A****** H****. :bow:

Despite being injured, he has been solid when called upon. Oh, as an added bonus, he leads the NFL in interceptions. I really can't say enough about his play this year. Outstanding!!!

No comment.