Things the pro bowl showed us

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
1. Roy Williams is more than competent in coverage. How some believe the fallacy that he isn't is beyond me.

2. Glover has value, be it trade value or for Dallas next season, he's still a force.

3. Allen is a problem. I suggested that people watch Allen on every play in the Pro Bowl then give their opinions. I concentrated on him and saw him do his usual "stand in space at the LOS and don't touch anyone" routine. Witness Hampton's sack and Stroud's recovery of Delhomme's fumble. Allen originally starts to engage a defender who slants to the right of the center, Allen then disengages and stands there. Stroud is stunting towards Allen when the fumble happens. Allen throws a half-assed shoulder at Stroud who goes on to pick up the football. Any effort by Allen at all and Stroud doesn't get to that fumble.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
4.) Peyton Manning is still an overrated bum....talking to the referee after his 2nd pick: "man these balls are slick, can we get some new ones":laugh2: :laugh1:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
1. Roy Williams is more than competent in coverage. How some believe the fallacy that he isn't is beyond me.

2. Glover has value, be it trade value or for Dallas next season, he's still a force.

3. Allen is a problem. I suggested that people watch Allen on every play in the Pro Bowl then give their opinions. I concentrated on him and saw him do his usual "stand in space at the LOS and don't touch anyone" routine. Witness Hampton's sack and Stroud's recovery of Delhomme's fumble. Allen originally starts to engage a defender who slants to the right of the center, Allen then disengages and stands there. Stroud is stunting towards Allen when the fumble happens. Allen throws a half-assed shoulder at Stroud who goes on to pick up the football. Any effort by Allen at all and Stroud doesn't get to that fumble.

1. agree

2. If traded I hope we can get at least a 1st day pick for him.

3. LA can't move he's stuck in one place. He been getting beat in pass protection for several seasons now.....I hate to say it but it's time to move on.

ghst187

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:

Agreed all the way around. I will also add:
1) Vick sucks, electrifying athlete, sucka** QB, horrible
2) Bledsoe should've been in the PB over Vick
3) TNew should've been invited, he is a top 5 CB easily
4) We need a little waterbug WR like Moss/Steve Smith. TG is fast but he's not Moss/Smith fast
5) Susie Kolber looks good in Hawaii
6) Larry Johnson and LT are FAR superior backs to Alexander or Edge
7) DeAngelo Hall is overrated. I'm not sure why everyone thinks this guy is the second coming of Deion. He's not that great of a CB yet. He may be a better return guy, but TNew is better cover guy right now.

ddh33

Reaction score
Larry Allen might be my biggest concern of this offseason. I can honestly say that he was the player on this team who frustrated me most the last couple of years. In fairness, some of that is probably due to the high bar that he set for himself, but his lack of mobility is hurting this team, I believe.

jimmy40

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:

The pro bowl showed us nothing. You gotta be kidding.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
The one thing the Pro Bowl showed me is that with 6 interceptions, 9 fumbles, 16 penalties for almost 200 yards, and a total of 10 turnovers... the players don't care about it. ;)

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
The one thing the Pro Bowl showed me is that with 6 interceptions, 9 fumbles, 16 penalties for almost 200 yards, and a total of 10 turnovers... the players don't care about it. ;)

Or that the talent in the league is getting crappier and crappier every year.:rolleyes:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Or that the talent in the league is getting crappier and crappier every year.:rolleyes:

True, or that. Or that they aren't used to playing with those playbooks, teammates, or coaches. As cool as the concept is, all star games just don't work with the NFL. It's a shame really, I'd love to see a game one day with the current greatest players and a month to prepare and ballz out football.

conner01

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
1. agree

2. If traded I hope we can get at least a 1st day pick for him.

3. LA can't move he's stuck in one place. He been getting beat in pass protection for several seasons now.....I hate to say it but it's time to move on.
if larry allen has been beat in pass coverage so much the last few years how would you explain he has given up 4.5 sacks in the last 2 years combined?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The probowl doesn't show anyone anything. It is an exhibition where guys are trying not to get hurt. Folks were all pumped last year because Larry Allen had a few decent blocks. Totally meaningless game.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
conner01 said:
if larry allen has been beat in pass coverage so much the last few years how would you explain he has given up 4.5 sacks in the last 2 years combined?

Interior linemen often don't "give up" high numbers of sacks due to how most places account for them. They typically only put the sack on the linemen if they are engaged with the defender. I don't believe that any site credits any of Dallas' interior linemen with more than 3 allowed.

Look at some of the numbers floating around this site. Pettiti 13.5, Tucker 12.5, Allen 2.5, Johnson 1.5, Rivera 2.75 are all pretty common numbers. I don't remember an approximation for Adams off the top of my head but it was only a couple. Now those numbers only add up to 32.75. Do you really believe that TEs, RBs and Adams were responsible for the other 16? If that's the case, the line's fine and those areas need addressed.

Allen only engages a defender if the defender engages Allen if that makes any sense. Unless there's a player lined head up on him who fires into him, he doesn't block anyone in pass protection. I saw it a half dozen times in the Pro Bowl alone. Pick any quarter of any Dallas game this year and rewatch it. You'll see what I'm talking about, Allen in space at the line, head turned watching someone get blown up in the backfield.

What's worse, the player who attempts to block someone and fails, getting the "sack allowed" or the player who stands there and watches it happen?

kartr

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
4.) Peyton Manning is still an overrated bum....talking to the referee after his 2nd pick: "man these balls are slick, can we get some new ones":laugh2: :laugh1:

That's pretty good.

kartr

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Agreed all the way around. I will also add:
1) Vick sucks, electrifying athlete, sucka** QB, horrible
2) Bledsoe should've been in the PB over Vick
3) TNew should've been invited, he is a top 5 CB easily
4) We need a little waterbug WR like Moss/Steve Smith. TG is fast but he's not Moss/Smith fast
5) Susie Kolber looks good in Hawaii
6) Larry Johnson and LT are FAR superior backs to Alexander or Edge
7) DeAngelo Hall is overrated. I'm not sure why everyone thinks this guy is the second coming of Deion. He's not that great of a CB yet. He may be a better return guy, but TNew is better cover guy right now.

Bledsoe would have turned the ball over on ints and fumbles at least half a dozen times with the pass rushes I saw. Get real!

kartr

Reaction score
conner01 said:

Which proves that Bledsoe is more of a problem than Allen.