Things the pro bowl showed us

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:
Bledsoe would have turned the ball over on ints and fumbles at least half a dozen times with the pass rushes I saw. Get real!

Maybe so but does not change the fact that Bledsoe had a much better season than Vick and was more deserving to go than Vick

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
The Pro Bowl is a meaningless exhibition. To read anything into this is as fruitless as thinking the first exhibition game of the season means anything.:cool:

Means absolutely nothing and you hope no one gets hurt.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RW should not be allowed to play in pro bowls. sheesh he knocked rod smith into the ground with a vicious blow.

Chad Johnson had 2 catches for 15 yards. Guess RW's game check is safe, lol.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Wondered when Q would show up - very dependable. Of course only here and now; not when it mattered.

rynochop

Reaction score
My only memory of any Pro Bowl is Barry Switzer eating a hot dog on the sideline.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rynochop said:
My only memory of any Pro Bowl is Barry Switzer eating a hot dog on the sideline.

Troy Aikman left after the 3rd quarter one time, after he did his playing time. Supposedly due to previous commitments and needed to catch an early flight back to the mainland.

But the Switzer and hot dog was pretty funny.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
1. Roy Williams is more than competent in coverage. How some believe the fallacy that he isn't is beyond me.

Because coming out of college he was supposed to be the next Ronnie Lott. Even though he's really had 3 excellent seasons out of 4, he's not Ronnie Lott. And he had the poor 2004 season where he was saddled with a non-existent pass rush while playing out of position along with Tony freaking Dixon, Lynn Scott, and Lance Frazier.

It's ridiculous how much he gets blamed for "poor coverage" at times. I remember after the Seattle game there was some writer claiming that Roy gave up a big catch to Jerramy Stevens near the end of the game. One problem.....Roy wasn't covering Stevens, Willie Pile was. Another problem, Roy was blitzing the QB on that play. It's like if there's a pass that's completed and Roy is anywhere near the play, he's automatically at fault.

2. Glover has value, be it trade value or for Dallas next season, he's still a force.

Problem is he has value in the 4-3 and he still doesn't have the value his contract says. I'd love to keep him and retire him a Cowboy, but he'll most likely be released.

3. Allen is a problem. I suggested that people watch Allen on every play in the Pro Bowl then give their opinions. I concentrated on him and saw him do his usual "stand in space at the LOS and don't touch anyone" routine. Witness Hampton's sack and Stroud's recovery of Delhomme's fumble. Allen originally starts to engage a defender who slants to the right of the center, Allen then disengages and stands there. Stroud is stunting towards Allen when the fumble happens. Allen throws a half-assed shoulder at Stroud who goes on to pick up the football. Any effort by Allen at all and Stroud doesn't get to that fumble.

Well, it is the Pro Bowl.

I agree that the guard play is really troublesome.

Rich.........

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
1. Roy Williams is more than competent in coverage. How some believe the fallacy that he isn't is beyond me.

I'm not even a Cowboy's fan, and I could have told you that before the Probowl! Roy's abilities were never questionable. If you're basing your statement on the controversial hit against Smith, just remember, there's no blitz against the QB in the Probowl -- Roy's performance is also based on blitzing!

Uncertain what the underlying message is here.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Vick is terrible. His only two decent completions were both on great plays by the receiver, on poorly thrown balls.

ravidubey

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
3. Allen is a problem. I suggested that people watch Allen on every play in the Pro Bowl then give their opinions. I concentrated on him and saw him do his usual "stand in space at the LOS and don't touch anyone" routine. Witness Hampton's sack and Stroud's recovery of Delhomme's fumble. Allen originally starts to engage a defender who slants to the right of the center, Allen then disengages and stands there. Stroud is stunting towards Allen when the fumble happens. Allen throws a half-assed shoulder at Stroud who goes on to pick up the football. Any effort by Allen at all and Stroud doesn't get to that fumble.

Allen could use seeing some more stunts in practice- hint to Zimmer!

But overall I saw several plays where Allen blocked two defenders, especially when Vick rolled out to the left and could help position Allen between himself and defenders. Vick is left handed so throws to the left on rollouts to the left are common for him.

Also, would you be anxious to take on a guy who you just watched bench roughly your weight 43 times? Guys were doing end-arounds on Larry and not taking him head-on. Sure that means he's not engaged like he could be but at the same time it also means the defense is going out of its way because of Larry.

jwhardin

Reaction score
I must have been watching a different game, I saw Allen doing a good job in pass protection. Now I did see Pace and the other tackle get their butts beat. I also saw at least one real good block on a running play. In my opinion, Allen played as good or better than any of the OL there.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
4.) Peyton Manning is still an overrated bum....talking to the referee after his 2nd pick: "man these balls are slick, can we get some new ones":laugh2: :laugh1:

No doubt, maybe he needs an umbrella to play the game:lmao:

TEK2000

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Interior linemen often don't "give up" high numbers of sacks due to how most places account for them. They typically only put the sack on the linemen if they are engaged with the defender. I don't believe that any site credits any of Dallas' interior linemen with more than 3 allowed.

Look at some of the numbers floating around this site. Pettiti 13.5, Tucker 12.5, Allen 2.5, Johnson 1.5, Rivera 2.75 are all pretty common numbers. I don't remember an approximation for Adams off the top of my head but it was only a couple. Now those numbers only add up to 32.75. Do you really believe that TEs, RBs and Adams were responsible for the other 16? If that's the case, the line's fine and those areas need addressed.

Allen only engages a defender if the defender engages Allen if that makes any sense. Unless there's a player lined head up on him who fires into him, he doesn't block anyone in pass protection. I saw it a half dozen times in the Pro Bowl alone. Pick any quarter of any Dallas game this year and rewatch it. You'll see what I'm talking about, Allen in space at the line, head turned watching someone get blown up in the backfield.

What's worse, the player who attempts to block someone and fails, getting the "sack allowed" or the player who stands there and watches it happen?

ABSOLUTELY!!! Over the course of a 16 game season.. do you really believe its impossible for a team to allow 14 sacks to BLITZERS (LB's, Safeties, Corners)? That's who you're TE's, RB's tend to block... and then you count the few times that those blitzers come in unblocked. Very easily adds up to 14 over the course of a season.

I 100% disagree with you. Larry Allen was the best Cowboys linemen this season... without a doubt. Go thru and watch some of the highlight videos (see www.cowboysvids.com ) you will notice on 99% of the plays Larry Allen is engaged with at least 1 defender. Watch the Julius Jones video from the Carolina game... there's only 1 play on that video that Larry doesn't completely dominate the person he was blocking.

In pass protection.. EVERY lineman stands there waiting for a player to engage them. Ya know.. they drop back a few steps and accept the oncoming blitzer/rusher. If no one engages them... they either keep watching for incoming rushers or move to assist a fellow lineman with their block. Pass blocking 101.

On run blocking... he friggin blows people up! Anyone that he engages on run blocking is most always either totally dominated or blocked to the point where the runner is already beyond them. During the Carolina game, I made it a point to watch Larry on many plays and he often blocked more than 1 defender on each play (upwards of 3 on a couple of plays).

Bottom line, in my opinion, Larry Allen is the LAST thing we need to worry about with our offensive line.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BlueWave said:
Vick is terrible. His only two decent completions were both on great plays by the receiver, on poorly thrown balls.
And what's worse, he looked like he believed he should get credit for them. :rolleyes:

TEK2000

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
4.) Peyton Manning is still an overrated bum....talking to the referee after his 2nd pick: "man these balls are slick, can we get some new ones":laugh2: :laugh1:

That's isn't what he said.