Think a Lot of People Are Making Too Much of Sunday's Game

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We don’t only need to win we need to annihilate them sending them spiralling down. :flagwave:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The odds that they go on to make noise in the post season are directly proportional to the results of this game.

Sure, the odds of post season success are not zero with a loss, but (to use a blackjack reference) I would rather hit on 11 than hit on 19. The statistical probabilities matter. The difference between the 5 seed (@Atlanta, @SF, @Phil) and the 2 seed (Rams?, Lions, @SF) is pretty big. That's not getting into the team effects of a blowout win versus a loss at home.

Creeper

Reaction score
It will be a very tough road for Dallas to win the division. The Eagles' last 3 games are chips shots. The Cowboys have The Eagles, Bills, Dolphins, Lions left after Philly. The Bills and Dolphins are on the road, then they get Washington on the road. That's 2 games on grass for Dallas. Winning out would take a monumental effort.

Losing to the Eagles would be more of a "state of the Cowboys" game than anything else at this point. But even if they suffer a confidence break losing to the Eagles, they have 3 more games to get their confidence back. Losing all of them will hurt badly and make that last game in Washington huge.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
there-is-no-try-do-or-do-not.gif
You spelled it wrong. It's called tie. Which, depending on how you look at it is both do and do not. Did not win, did not lose. Or you did win, kind of, but you also kid of lost at the same time.

Easy false dilemma there. But if we're talking try, I'd easily take that outcome in this game, as opposed to a loss. Still, a loss doesn't necessarily mean anything in this case. Once they get past that wild card round, everyone is in and now has the same odds. Previous losses don't count. So it really does come down to who the better team is on this day. If we're playing the Eagles in Philly either way, a loss now, may or may not, matter then.

On some levels, you almost want them to lose, if you're playing them in Philly anyway. So they really want to beat them in the post-season. Now, a loss will just make you mad. Maybe that's what they need, maybe it's not..

Then, there's always the refs. And the Dez catch. And that time Romo got robbed. I don't think that was lack of effort.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
you don't want to go into the postseason having been swept by any team
Congratulations on your win, Mr. Prescott.

"Thank You. It's what we've been working on all season and I couldn't have done it without all of the blood sweat and tears of my coaches, teammates, and supportive family. "

So, how does it feel to come back against the same team that swept you twice all season and come back to get the win in the post season? Are you surprised?

"It's something we've been working on. All season long, around the locker room and at practice, we've been walking around with a chip on our shoulders and knew this team had it in us to get the win. And we got it. All thanks to the hard work and dedication of my teammates and coaches.. I couldn't have done it without them.

------

That same scenario has played out before, several times that I can remember.

Well, maybe not with "Dak Prescott." But with other players, so it's possible.

Seriously, some would blame Dak at this point before we even play this game. It's sad.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Dream on! With JJ passing on every FA that could HAVE possibly help this team, then beating the Eagles would send a huge message to the locker-room that additional help need not apply because this current roster is good enough to get deep into the playoffs and possibly the SB. If they lose to the Eagles at home, it's going to send a completely different message that they're still second best in their own division and that just getting to the first round of the playoffs just might be their SB..................
It's not likely Leonard is going to help anyone this year. If anything, he's a next year signing. The Eagles guarantee you the Eagles had to do some roster shuffling to get him going. Everyone talking about his plug and play ability haven't read up much about his back injury and how he played when he returned from that injury.

In other words, his teammates outplayed him off their roster.

plasticman

Reaction score
This gamed is critical.

Winning this game opens the potential to win the division and the possibility of playing the first two, perhaps even three playoff games at home. There is still even the possibility of getting the first round bye and winning only one game to get to the NFC championship game.

Comparing their records at home and away, the Cowboys stand a far better chance of winning a home game.

The probability of getting to the SB greatly increases with a win on Sunday..

Londonboy

Reaction score
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

CCBoy

Reaction score
This linebacker is loving this quote:

FRISCO, TX — There's no need to state the obvious, but let's do it one more time anyway: the rematch between the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles is a high-stakes game that has the potential to send shockwaves throughout the playoff picture atop the NFC East and NFC. It's something linebacker Micah Parsons understands very well, and he's geared up for the fight.

"It's always one of the biggest games in football, if not the biggest," said the First-Team All-Pro. "The intensity is always high, the emotions high, and everyone wants to win. It's a brawl. It's always one where you've got to get the ice bags ready."

As Parsons explained, it's yet another "ice bag" game for the Cowboys, but also for the Eagles, who were roundly beaten into their own dirt at Lincoln Financial Field by the San Francisco 49ers. With that loss, the Cowboys can take the lead in the division by virtue of having one more win in the NFC East than do the Eagles, and draw a very clear line to the top seed in the conference.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/parsons-wants-to-be-unstoppable-vs-phi-others

Micah, bring your wolf pack on in for the kill! :starspin:

CCBoy

Reaction score
"If you had asked me prior to the game to give me two takeaways or two keys to winning, I'd have said we have to get the ball back for the offense, create a few takeaways and win on third down," Quinn said. "And if you asked me now the two things why we didn't win the game, I'd say we didn't create any takeaways and we didn't win third down. Not delivering on those is the tough part."

The Dallas defense had zero takeaways for only the second time this season – with both games being losses – and allowed the Philadelphia offense to convert on 7 of its 14 third down attempts.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/dan-quinn-points-at-two-defensive-keys-to-eagles-loss

Take aways and control 3rd downs...I'll buy that for advantage.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
This has been such a strange season on the fandom side of things. lol

morat1959

Reaction score
No way we don’t win. We’ve got the league MVP. At least that’s what I’m reading from a lot on here.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It's an important game. More important than most. And against an arch rival.

But... soberly speaking... it's important mainly for what the result says to the team members about their capacity to win an important game. It's a confidence booster, or it's a confidence crusher.

And on the other hand, it does not mean we're not going to play in post season. It does not mean there is no path to a Super Bowl. The ultimate prize still is attainable. The consequences of losing are almost entirely cerebral... in the players' heads. The consequences of winning are largely that, though with the caveat that a better shot at post season home field advantage is on the radar.

Here's the thing. If we lose this one, and win out the rest of the schedule, the PHI game will mostly resonate a month from now as the SF game resonates right now... you shake your head, but you also recognize the other side of the ledger gives a lot of reason for hope. And if we win this one, the gauntlet in front of us doesn't go away. We still have to go to Buffalo, still have to go to Miami, and still have to play Detroit, and having beaten PHI won't allow us to start any of those games spotted even a 1 point lead.

Everything, in other words, will still matter. Win or lose.
Awww, nuts. You are all mixed up, ruffian.
It's a VERY important game not only for the W in East but a game that could propel us to running mthe table.
Why minimize this game?
What is going on in that fertile mind?

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's an important game. More important than most. And against an arch rival.

But... soberly speaking... it's important mainly for what the result says to the team members about their capacity to win an important game. It's a confidence booster, or it's a confidence crusher.

And on the other hand, it does not mean we're not going to play in post season. It does not mean there is no path to a Super Bowl. The ultimate prize still is attainable. The consequences of losing are almost entirely cerebral... in the players' heads. The consequences of winning are largely that, though with the caveat that a better shot at post season home field advantage is on the radar.

Here's the thing. If we lose this one, and win out the rest of the schedule, the PHI game will mostly resonate a month from now as the SF game resonates right now... you shake your head, but you also recognize the other side of the ledger gives a lot of reason for hope. And if we win this one, the gauntlet in front of us doesn't go away. We still have to go to Buffalo, still have to go to Miami, and still have to play Detroit, and having beaten PHI won't allow us to start any of those games spotted even a 1 point lead.

Everything, in other words, will still matter. Win or lose.
You could have just stopped with the first paragraph and it would have been a good post.

Everyone and their brother has been going on and on about how we need to get further in the playoffs and get to the NFC championship game well to do that home field advantage and a bye week are incredibly important to us.

This is the very first step to getting further in the postseason granted there is much more work to be done if we succeed here but this is the first step and the loss here pretty much makes it incredibly difficult to get to the NFC championship game.

Blackrain

Reaction score
No way we don’t win. We’ve got the league MVP. At least that’s what I’m reading from a lot on here.
We do and we are going to win and so will the 49ers and so will the Lions and everybody will be 10 and 3 and it will be a dog fight to the end of the season to see who gets the number one seed