Think Diggs had a bad year?

Ken

Reaction score
A really great analysis of Diggs' season using a different metric than the craptastic PFF. I personally feel he could have stopped the article here:

A 54-for-103, 907 yard, 4 TD, 11 INT stretch is about three games worth of attempts and that would be a disgusting stat line for any quarterback. But somehow when it comes to what Diggs allowed over a full season, fans are supposed to look at those numbers as below-average coverage.

Good chart at the end which compares all CBs...interesting nuggets in that data.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/trevon-diggs-advanced-stats-per-target-coverage-snaps/

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A really great analysis of Diggs' season using a different metric than the craptastic PFF. I personally feel he could have stopped the article here:

A 54-for-103, 907 yard, 4 TD, 11 INT stretch is about three games worth of attempts and that would be a disgusting stat line for any quarterback. But somehow when it comes to what Diggs allowed over a full season, fans are supposed to look at those numbers as below-average coverage.

Good chart at the end which compares all CBs...interesting nuggets in that data.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/trevon-diggs-advanced-stats-per-target-coverage-snaps/

For a QB:
9 yards per target is stellar, and 10% INTs is miserable.

Hence the problem with evaluating Diggs. The stats point in the opposite directions, and neither of them are flukes.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Biting on underneath fakes and thinking the QB is not going to have time for longer routes will get you beat deep at times. Having a piss poor safety will also make his stats look bad when he's asked to play the over-under tag team coverage. So one has to ask himself...can you deal with the yardage given up to get those double digit picks?

Ken

Reaction score
For a QB:

Hence the problem with evaluating Diggs. The stats point in the opposite directions, and neither of them are flukes.
I mean...I can think of the NE long td(75) yards off the top of my head where the safety help was miserable. There was a cluster of a few like that around that point of the season. Those greatly elevated his yardage given up.

I would guess he was among the stingiest CBs in the league the last half of the season however.

Ken

Reaction score
Biting on underneath fakes and thinking the QB is not going to have time for longer routes will get you beat deep at times. Having a piss poor safety will also make his stats look bad when he's asked to play the over-under tag team coverage. So one has to ask himself...can you deal with the yardage given up to get those double digit picks?
There was at least 3 that the safety offered no help that I can think of. I know 1 of the TDs he gave up, against I believe Washington (Yup, 43 yards and Diggs can't play it any better), was an Amazing play by the wr.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For a QB:

The completion percentage was fairly low, though, so it was just an issue of when he gave up plays, it was often big ones. Better recognition of double-moves will help some with that, as will better play by the free safety ... although I'm not sure we're going to get that. I expect Kazee to re-sign for cheap or for us to get a similarly cheap FS in free agency. The only real hope is that Mukuamu makes a big jump his sophomore year.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I'm using the eye test. Find me a game where he really was burned. Maybe the NE game, (after he made a game changing play). He gave up the deep ball in Washington which was luck. And also against Oakland or Denver early, forgot which game.

Other than that I don't remember him getting burned much.

Still I don't care if he occasionally gets burned, but makes plays on the ball. Byron Jones was probably a better man to man corner but we were mad he didn't get picks. Diggs is a very good player and I'm happy we have him. I think he'll only get better.

Ken

Reaction score
I'm using the eye test. Find me a game where he really was burned. Maybe the NE game, (after he made a game changing play). He gave up the deep ball in Washington which was luck. And also against Oakland or Denver early, forgot which game.

Other than that I don't remember him getting burned much.

Still I don't care if he occasionally gets burned, but makes plays on the ball. Byron Jones was probably a better man to man corner but we were mad he didn't get picks. Diggs is a very good player and I'm happy we have him. I think he'll only get better.
Here is a good video of all his burns. Even stuck in some from his rookie year.

It really isn't that bad...you can see the ones where the safety was nowhere and the ones that were just great plays by the WR.

I feel like he was MUCH better the second half of the season.

J12B

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Diggs had a bad year doesn't know anything about football.

Yeah he gave up a few plays here and there but I'm sure a couple had to do with missed coverages/help by Safeties.

He literally had 11 interceptions.

That is elite.

jay94

Reaction score
Definitely overhyped, next year I bet he comes back to reality, gets burnt with a lot fewer interceptions. Dallas and fans crown talent to early.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I have said in a couple of other Diggs threads, IF the picks dry up people will turn on him quickly. Next season is massive for him. IF for instance he only gets 2 or 3 picks on the season and still gives up big plays then he becomes a very different animal.

plymkr

Reaction score
There was at least 3 that the safety offered no help that I can think of. I know 1 of the TDs he gave up, against I believe Washington (Yup, 43 yards and Diggs can't play it any better), was an Amazing play by the wr.
That was an amazing play by the WR and Diggs played it as good as anyone could have. I always have to remind myself that the other team has professional football players too. Diggs had a phenomenal season and is having a phenomenal career so far. Him and Micah are about the only 2 guys I'm excited about right now. No CB in the history of the NFL has never been burned. No player is invincible. I don't pay attention to the PFF grades. I just pay attention to the eye test. He balled out this year. And he's got the cutest son in the NFL. How can you not like Aiden. That kid is awesome.

Cmac

Reaction score
Diggs had a good year, however........it he rests on laurels.........we be in trouble. Film is on him for grasping on double-moves and an unwillingness to tackle........needs to improve.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I have said in a couple of other Diggs threads, IF the picks dry up people will turn on him quickly. Next season is massive for him. IF for instance he only gets 2 or 3 picks on the season and still gives up big plays then he becomes a very different animal.

It's quite conceivable that he lures QB's, as his hawking closing speed is outstanding. It's interesting to see the difference in approach in the early part of the season with Gregory/Micah edging and then the latter part of the season when we DLaw was back and that we sacrificed some edge rushing for run blocking.......in the latter part of the season he (and or Quinn) may have have acknowledged that with less QB pressure he needed to get closer to the WR???

Personally, I prefer the Micah/Gregory pressure rushing the QB into taking the risk on Diggs.....but I support the adage that Defense is about schemes (and strategic outlook), not individuals.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Definitely overhyped, next year I bet he comes back to reality, gets burnt with a lot fewer interceptions. Dallas and fans crown talent to early.
That depends on Diggs himself.

He already thinks he is a star, so he is on his way to fitting right in where winning is secondary.

Really, why bother going through all the pain of what you need to do to win when you're already treated by your boss and local fans as if you already have.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Corner is not a problem . What’s to be done at safety is the question . Donovan Wilson is nice but durability is a question . Kearse is a player would really like Cowboys to get back for another year. And then ???

On that Mac Jones late 75 yard TD right after Diggs had a pick 6 ….7 went for the INT and once the receiver had the ball the safety ( Kazee ) should have stopped that completion right then . The man needs to know someone is over the top in assistance .