Think Diggs had a bad year?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He gave up 12 catches for 260 yards total in the last 5 games combined, including the playoff game. Take a back seat and sit this one out.
Trolls will be all over every thread this offseason. Some fool was saying Parsons was a scrub against San Francisco and another idiot was disappointed in his pro bowl performance. Diggs may have the best ball skills of any cornerback since Deion. His first 7 games was better then Byron Jones entire NFL career. Can you imagine the hate Byron would be getting if we gave him that extension that Miami signed him too.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I believe it's the NINE HUNDRED YARDS that people have concerns about.

What happens next year if he has similar stats but only 3 INTS.

Ya'll will turn on him. That's what.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
simple analysis without any stats:
He still has a lot to learn
Clearly had a stretch where he let the attention go to his head & was gambling too much
If he stays humble and continues to work, he has the tools to be both a cover corner & a playmaker

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Diggs had a great year. He obviously still has much to learn but he also seems committed to improving. His ballhawking skills are top shelf and those 11 pics made this defense but his coverage skills are not quite as good. I believe he would be outstanding if he had more reliable S help behind him.

Like most young players, you can’t just be feast or famine when describing Diggs. To me, Diggs is definitely good but to say he’s an elite corner is wearing the fan glasses. He certainly has the potential to be that.

JBS

Reaction score

not as dumb as the idiots who think he played poorly this past season

Reactions: Ken

Doomsday101

Reaction score
A really great analysis of Diggs' season using a different metric than the craptastic PFF. I personally feel he could have stopped the article here:

A 54-for-103, 907 yard, 4 TD, 11 INT stretch is about three games worth of attempts and that would be a disgusting stat line for any quarterback. But somehow when it comes to what Diggs allowed over a full season, fans are supposed to look at those numbers as below-average coverage.

Good chart at the end which compares all CBs...interesting nuggets in that data.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/trevon-diggs-advanced-stats-per-target-coverage-snaps/

I think he takes risk and has been burnt at times but I also know the importance of turnovers and how they impact the game. I don't want to see Diggs lose aggressiveness and just allow WR and QB to play pitch and catch and he sits back and allows it. Heck people hear have moaned for years about CB not making plays just letting easy passes and completions. I think Diggs after year 2 has developed into a very good CB and I think will get better as he continues to gain experience

Reactions: Ken

Ken

Reaction score

Which is less than THREE HUNDRED YARDS more than Jalen Ramsey gave up and he had 7 less interceptions.

I will take that all day.

I will also guess that the vast majority of those yards were given up in the first half of the year. He was much better in the 2nd half.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well...PFF said so!!!!

So they must be right! lol
One of the reasons he's graded so low by PFF has to do with his almost non existent run defense.

There's more to their rankings then just pass defense.

Although their ranking it still bad.

Ken

Reaction score
One of the reasons he's graded so low by PFF has to do with his almost non existent run defense.

There's more to their rankings then just pass defense.

Although their ranking it still bad.
His run defense does stink but I am willing to put up with it for his coverage skills.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There are people still chanting that he can't cover. Simply amazing analysis.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
This forum has been pining for a playmaking cornerback for a couple decades. Diggs has shown he is that in his second year. Plenty of reason to be optimistic that he learns and develops going into year #3.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
The completion percentage was fairly low, though, so it was just an issue of when he gave up plays, it was often big ones. Better recognition of double-moves will help some with that, as will better play by the free safety ... although I'm not sure we're going to get that. I expect Kazee to re-sign for cheap or for us to get a similarly cheap FS in free agency. The only real hope is that Mukuamu makes a big jump his sophomore year.
Would prefer Hooker anyday over Kazee, but hope Israel can make a 2nd year leap.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Diggs had a bad season are completely biased. With 11INTs you could give up 11TDs and im still putting you back on that field.

Am I worried about him getting beat? Absolutely. Do I think going into year 3 he can improve his cover skills and become a more well balanced CB? Absolutely. Do I think he can ever duplicate an 11 Int season? Doubtful.

I love Diggs, dude has all the talent to be a top 3CB in the league. I'm fine taking the good with the bad, but its very doubtful he ever comes close to 11INTs in a season again. He is going to have to be a better cover corner to stay in the elite category.

When I'm hard on Diggs it is because I view him as an elite talent....his performances of average to good shouldn't be accepted consistently. The guy isnt far off from being paid like the top corner in the game. The Dak level bickering on him is justified, and is a real question. We can lock this guy up for the next 5 years on a mega deal, or we can look next offseason to trade him for a small fortune and save a ton of cap space. Finding out if this guy is good or great should be a priority.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well...PFF said so!!!!

So they must be right! lol
How did PFF rate Diggs' 2021 up against Byron Jones during his Cowboy years?

I ain't looking it up lol....

Plays the opposite style for sure.

Strong probability: it's moot since we didn't win a thing with one and it ain't looking so bright with the other.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Diggs had a bad season are completely biased. With 11INTs you could give up 11TDs and im still putting you back on that field.

Am I worried about him getting beat? Absolutely. Do I think going into year 3 he can improve his cover skills and become a more well balanced CB? Absolutely. Do I think he can ever duplicate an 11 Int season? Doubtful.

I love Diggs, dude has all the talent to be a top 3CB in the league. I'm fine taking the good with the bad, but its very doubtful he ever comes close to 11INTs in a season again. He is going to have to be a better cover corner to stay in the elite category.

When I'm hard on Diggs it is because I view him as an elite talent....his performances of average to good shouldn't be accepted consistently. The guy isnt far off from being paid like the top corner in the game. The Dak level bickering on him is justified, and is a real question. We can lock this guy up for the next 5 years on a mega deal, or we can look next offseason to trade him for a small fortune and save a ton of cap space. Finding out if this guy is good or great should be a priority.

I agree, as far as how many ints he may get in the future, really depends on if QB continue to throw his way.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I agree, as far as how many ints he may get in the future, really depends on if QB continue to throw his way.
There's this perception that at some point QBs will stop, but I haven't found it realistic among the great CBs that half the field isn't thrown at.

Ken

Reaction score
There's this perception that at some point QBs will stop, but I haven't found it realistic among the great CBs that half the field isn't thrown at.
Jalen Ramsey got thrown at 7 less times than Diggs.

So they definitely still throw at him.