Thinking of selling my house and moving to Texas

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One other thing to consider about moving the Texas.....allergies.

Mine were seasonal in Dallas and since I moved down here, they have been the worst in my lifetime and are constant. This area of Texas is Allergy Alley, USA and you would be surprised just how much that can affect your quality of life.

nobody

Reaction score
I was being facetious. It's Texas, obviously it's a big state! :D

That doesn't really give you an idea. Driving from Texarkana to El Paso for example takes about 12 hours of drive time at highway speeds, not including stops for gas, food, etc.

You can drive from the western tip of Louisiana to the Atlantic Ocean in less time. You can drive from El Paso to Los Angeles in less time.

When I travel out of Texas, it blows me away how tightly compacted everything is in comparison. It's a welcome change sometimes.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That doesn't really give you an idea. Driving from Texarkana to El Paso for example takes about 12 hours of drive time at highway speeds, not including stops for gas, food, etc.

You can drive from the western tip of Louisiana to the Atlantic Ocean in less time. You can drive from El Paso to Los Angeles in less time.

When I travel out of Texas, it blows me away how tightly compacted everything is in comparison. It's a welcome change sometimes.
For anyone who doesn't like Texas, it's gotta feel like a prison sentence being in the middle of it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ohio isn't a bad alternative. I've found it to be rather affordable, even in this economy, and, assuming you don't mind snow, the weather can be quite nice. Cleveland, where I live, is a surprisingly nice city with great medical care between the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital. The people here are generally nice from my experience. Though, if you're more for chemicals, Marathon has a major business in Findley, Ohio, and Dayton and Cincy aren't bad either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ohio isn't a bad alternative. I've found it to be rather affordable, even in this economy, and, assuming you don't mind snow, the weather can be quite nice. Cleveland, where I live, is a surprisingly nice city with great medical care between the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital. The people here are generally nice from my experience. Though, if you're more for chemicals, Marathon has a major business in Findley, Ohio, and Dayton and Cincy aren't bad either.
I thought you moved to KC? Did you move again and not start a thread? I am sorry, you will have to move back, establish residency, start a thread that you are moving to Cleveland and then move.

3rdEyewarrior started a thread that he was just thinking about moving to Texas and you actually move without a thread? I wonder how much of this is going on right under our noses?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In a few years. Does anyone know any good operator or chemical operator jobs there? I have three years of experience. I’m Looking for a fresh start in Texas.
Can you expand on "operator"? What exactly do you mean?

In terms of industrial or petrochemical plants, @Oz-of-Cowboy-Country mentioned SE Texas, but another place to consider is the greater Corpus Christi area. Aside from the Cheniere LNG plant, there are a number of industrial plants in operation or various stages of development.

I grew up in Texas, went to university and started my career there - Wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. However, I retired elsewhere. The Texas heat and humidity just became intolerable.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I thought you moved to KC? Did you move again and not start a thread? I am sorry, you will have to move back, establish residency, start a thread that you are moving to Cleveland and then move.

3rdEyewarrior started a thread that he was just thinking about moving to Texas and you actually move without a thread? I wonder how much of this is going on right under our noses?

I did live in KC. I lived there from August 2020 until mid-September 2021 (sidenote, KC is a nice alternative to Texas too). I then moved to Cleveland where I currently reside.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving away from Texas. I've lived here my entire life and at 50 I'm ready to live the second part of my life someplace else. Texas is a good state with good people but it has a lot of problems ranking 36th economically, 48th in health care, and 33rd in education. We're more interested in removing books than teaching kids how to read them here.

Also for the second biggest acreage state in the U.S. we rank an insane 45th in public land access with only 4.2% of the total state. Texas boasts itself as a great outdoors state but that's only true if you can afford to hunt and fish on private land. The very small portion of public land access we have is in the form of overcrowded state and national parks run by a gestapo parks service. New York has more public access land than Texas.

The weather sucks. You get two seasons here only. Summer, which is blazing hot, dry as a bone, and searing wind. I've had 70 days over 100° this year so far and have had a total of 7.8 inches of rain for the year. Then you have winter which is pretty much the same except it gets down to around 50°. When we do get the rare winter storm it shuts our state down entirely, people die, and our elected officials all point fingers at each other and change nothing.

It's a big state and getting anywhere takes time. I'm 6 hours away from my son going to school in Nacogdoches, 5 hours from Dallas, 4 hours from Austin, 6 hours from Houston, 7 hours from El Paso, and 5 hours from Amarillo. I have to add a travel day to my itinerary just to get to an international airport and leave my state.

There's obviously a lot to love about Texas. It's the best foodie state in the U.S. period. The culture is fantastic with a great mix of Tex, Mex, German, and Asian communities throughout. People really are friendly and willing to help out a neighbor here. Lastly we've got an HEB and a Whataburger on every corner and every Cowboys game including preseason is televised.

I don't mean to dis the state I've lived in my entire life, these are just some of the things that bother me as a resident and that you should consider before moving. They say everything is bigger and better in Texas but it's simply not. I'm personally looking at Boise Idaho where we spend a lot of time or north eastern Arkansas as places I can best escape what I despise most...other people.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm thinking of moving away from Texas. I've lived here my entire life and at 50 I'm ready to live the second part of my life someplace else. Texas is a good state with good people but it has a lot of problems ranking 36th economically, 48th in health care, and 33rd in education. We're more interested in removing books than teaching kids how to read them here.

Also for the second biggest acreage state in the U.S. we rank an insane 45th in public land access with only 4.2% of the total state. Texas boasts itself as a great outdoors state but that's only true if you can afford to hunt and fish on private land. The very small portion of public land access we have is in the form of overcrowded state and national parks run by a gestapo parks service. New York has more public access land than Texas.

The weather sucks. You get two seasons here only. Summer, which is blazing hot, dry as a bone, and searing wind. I've had 70 days over 100° this year so far and have had a total of 7.8 inches of rain for the year. Then you have winter which is pretty much the same except it gets down to around 50°. When we do get the rare winter storm it shuts our state down entirely, people die, and our elected officials all point fingers at each other and change nothing.

It's a big state and getting anywhere takes time. I'm 6 hours away from my son going to school in Nacogdoches, 5 hours from Dallas, 4 hours from Austin, 6 hours from Houston, 7 hours from El Paso, and 5 hours from Amarillo. I have to add a travel day to my itinerary just to get to an international airport and leave my state.

There's obviously a lot to love about Texas. It's the best foodie state in the U.S. period. The culture is fantastic with a great mix of Tex, Mex, German, and Asian communities throughout. People really are friendly and willing to help out a neighbor here. Lastly we've got an HEB and a Whataburger on every corner and every Cowboys game including preseason is televised.

I don't mean to dis the state I've lived in my entire life, these are just some of the things that bother me as a resident and that you should consider before moving. They say everything is bigger and better in Texas but it's simply not. I'm personally looking at Boise Idaho where we spend a lot of time or north eastern Arkansas as places I can best escape what I despise most...other people.
Have you checked out Boise lately?

We looked into Boise and really liked the area, but there was a huge influx of people to the area... a bit of a turnoff.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Have you checked out Boise lately?

We looked into Boise and really liked the area, but there was a huge influx of people to the area... a bit of a turnoff.

Yeah we've got family in Boise and are there several times a year. There's certainly an influx but I still love the town. We've looked in Eagle ID. and McCall as well. McCall might be the most beautiful town I've ever seen but housing there is really expensive and they get a ton of snow.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah we've got family in Boise and are there several times a year. There's certainly an influx but I still love the town. We've looked in Eagle ID. and McCall as well. McCall might be the most beautiful town I've ever seen but housing there is really expensive and they get a ton of snow.
We ended up on NW Montana, near Bigfork. Love the area, but we've seen a large number of newcomers as well.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
We ended up on NW Montana, near Bigfork. Love the area, but we've seen a large number of newcomers as well.

I've never been that far north. I've backpacked near the Swan Range at Holland Peak and been to the Missoula area a couple of times. Beautiful country. I figured you were somewhere in the Northern Rockies when I saw the goat.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've never been that far north. I've backpacked near the Swan Range at Holland Peak and been to the Missoula area a couple of times. Beautiful country. I figured you were somewhere in the Northern Rockies when I saw the goat.
The goat followed us on our trek around Sperry Glacier in Glacier National Park. Surprising how large they actually are

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We lived in Eagle for 3 years and loved the topography and weather in Boise. We could see the lighted runs down Bogus at night and the torch skiers were cool.

Rafting on the Payette and hiking in the Sawtooths was a great time. And watching people in shirts and ties with their sleeves rolled up and fishing for trout in downtown during their lunch hour was Chamber of Commerce stuff. Loved downtown Boise but we were there between 93-96 before a lot of the changes. High school kids still did the cruise down Main Street on Friday nights.

We had skied in Sun Valley quite a few times but went up to McCall where they laugh at ski outfits and that was a lot of fun and very different.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
We lived in Eagle for 3 years and loved the topography and weather in Boise. We could see the lighted runs down Bogus at night and the torch skiers were cool.

Rafting on the Payette and hiking in the Sawtooths was a great time. And watching people in shirts and ties with their sleeves rolled up and fishing for trout in downtown during their lunch hour was Chamber of Commerce stuff. Loved downtown Boise but we were there between 93-96 before a lot of the changes. High school kids still did the cruise down Main Street on Friday nights.

We had skied in Sun Valley quite a few times but went up to McCall where they laugh at ski outfits and that was a lot of fun and very different.

My brother-in-law is a rafting guide in Boise so I've been all over the Sawtooths, rafted the Payette, Snake, all the forks of the Salmon, Selway, and Lochsa. My first rafting trip ever was on the Payette. I love it but didn't grow up around much water and it still scares the hell out of me every trip.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Can you expand on "operator"? What exactly do you mean?

In terms of industrial or petrochemical plants, @Oz-of-Cowboy-Country mentioned SE Texas, but another place to consider is the greater Corpus Christi area. Aside from the Cheniere LNG plant, there are a number of industrial plants in operation or various stages of development.

I grew up in Texas, went to university and started my career there - Wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. However, I retired elsewhere. The Texas heat and humidity just became intolerable.
Chemical operator. I operator blenders