This board was right on Linehan

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Sep 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

10,234 Messages
    18,077 Likes Received
    My spidey sense is tingling!

I think I'm being referred to in this thread, but for reference Linehan 2018 had to go and I said so on this board. Linehan 2016 was part of a team posters here said would have a losing record but went 13-3. I didn't hear these posters calling for his head back then.

The biggest issue was that the game changed and Linehan didn't change to keep up. He certainly deserved to get fired last year and doing it earlier would have been ideal. But most coaches suddenly get dumber when their OL goes from one of the best to one of the worst because of injuries and the Paul Alexanderization of La'el Collins.

Techsass and Mr_C like this.
  2. BotchedLobotomy

BotchedLobotomy Wide Right

10,648 Messages
    13,028 Likes Received
    Jason Carrot is next

Aven8 likes this.
  3. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

13,592 Messages
    16,650 Likes Received
    I don't dispute that.

But the way you let some tell it Scott was the one out there missing throws or dropping passes.

glimmerman likes this.
  4. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

8,600 Messages
    12,246 Likes Received
    Go for it. :laugh:
    I still remember people blaming Dak for Linehans trash offense. Yeah they are real quiet now.

Beaker42 and stasheroo like this.
  5. Valkyr

Valkyr Well-Known Member

393 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    New HC: Wayne Fontes

6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

55,891 Messages
    57,242 Likes Received
    Yeah, a whole lot less of those veiled 'Dak sucks' threads popping up nowadays.

Some folks just hope that we forget, while they spout off their most recent bit of nonsense. Not all of us do.

CowboysWillRise likes this.
  7. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

3,983 Messages
    4,414 Likes Received
    A strong consensus on this board was that Dak was wack but now Dak's like....
    [​IMG]

8. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

6,698 Messages
    3,866 Likes Received
    I've been using the Cowboys official fan forum for six or seven seasons now. I get better information here than anywhere else without a doubt

Techsass and stasheroo like this.
  9. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,464 Messages
    20,359 Likes Received
    Scheme does play a role. Dak's been getting rid of the ball a lot quicker because his first option is almost always open.

Snap to throw
    2018 games 1-2
    2.78 sec (29th)

2019 games 1-2
    2.33 sec (6th)

Techsass and stasheroo like this.
  10. Mr_C

Mr_C Carharris2

8,909 Messages
    9,209 Likes Received
    I respect you Kaiser, you’re a great poster and you’re right. Most were on board when we were 13-3.

I’m not sure when the displeasure started with Linehan/Garrett offense and when it turned to disgust. I do remember being alarmed when Ray Lewis said we had the most predictable offense a long long time ago. Many others said this too.

I guess we were good enough to overcome that or that was sufficient(or seemed so) with Tony, Dez, Zeke, and Dak as a rookie. But I always wondered why we wouldn’t scheme/pick etc. like other teams to get guys wide open and “fool” the D or out scheme them.

That was Garrett’s style. Outman them. I’m happy we moved on. Shifts to help read the D, different packages on different downs and distance, different formations seems like a no brainer.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Techsass, Kaiser and stasheroo like this.
  11. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

12,574 Messages
    13,005 Likes Received
    Of course not. The players execute the plays. And it’s strange that they have been doing these same plays for years so they should execute them in there sleep.

12. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

2,645 Messages
    2,851 Likes Received
    ..hated is to strong of a word, its personal. More on the level of disappointment, frustration and thwarted ability. I called for his head and Marinelli like 3 yrs ago.

stasheroo likes this.
  13. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,464 Messages
    20,359 Likes Received
    Look at their success rates on those plays in 2018. Zeke's was 27%, no one else was under 50%.

Henry: 13 of 17
    Peterson: 5 of 8
    Gurley: 13 of 22
    Carson: 8 of 16
    McCaffrey: 8 of 16
    Zeke: 3 of 11

Elliott's poor success rate on runs inside the 5 wasn't from a lack of carries. The team just couldn't run like it used to, due to a combination of factors (No Fred, no Dez, no Witten).

2018 3 of 11 (27%)
    2017 8 of 12 (67%)
    2016 10 of 13 (77%)

stasheroo likes this.
  14. Portnoy1

Portnoy1 Active Member

200 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    "There at home, washing there tights" Joker from Batman 1989. Sorry just had to.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

10,234 Messages
    18,077 Likes Received
    Thanks for the kind words, I was fine with Linehan in 2016 because... you know... it was working. The Linehan scheme of "you gotta stop us" works with an OL like that and Zeke pounding the rock.

In 2017 I gave him the benefit of the doubt but I was wrong.

In 2018 I could see the writing on the wall but wasn't calling for him to be fired until the play where Amari Cooper said something like "are you kidding" to another comeback route against the Eagles and Dak audibled a deep out for a TD. Cooper is a smart guy and when he talks about that publicly, you know the whole team has been saying it privately for a while.

JohnBoy, Mr_C, Luther and 1 other person like this.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

56,508 Messages
    56,369 Likes Received
    Nobody really liked Linehan all that much. He was a retread coach with connections to an already unpopular HC, and he had a grumpy personality.

That said, the mob on this board is collectively dead wrong about as often as it is accidentally right.

Luther and Kaiser like this.
  17. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

14,576 Messages
    16,611 Likes Received
    Last year he had to wait for the receivers to run long developing routes and not get open.

Disagree completely that execution is the biggest difference. Same guys, different OC, but it's only execution. OK, then.

Techsass likes this.
  18. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Well-Known Member

2,757 Messages
    4,171 Likes Received
    Dak is a night and day different player. You don’t go from 17th best QB to top 5 (granted through 2 weeks against bad teams) just on scheme. That’s largely because of his mechanics and a better QB coach teaching him how to read defenses quicker. Kellen helps but not as big as Kitna IMO

Gallup is a night and day different player as he’s more confident in asking why the scheme is the way it is rather than blindly follow instructions without knowing why.

Fredericks back. OL has only allowed 6 pressures through 2 weeks instead of 6 sacks through zero weeks. That’s just as big if not bigger than Daks mechanics.

RPOs and fun routes are cool but last year Dak doesn’t hit that post to Smith, a 50 yard dime between the numbers. That’s when I knew this is a different QB

19. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

21,250 Messages
    13,301 Likes Received
    I think we'd have to go back to the 2014 and 2016 seasons to see what the consensus was then. I'd bet he wasn't very hated during those years.

Not defending him because like others I've been saying for years that he and Garrett lacked creativity. I just think we do a lot of revisionist history when it comes to us being "right again." If being right means we recognized that he needed to go after 2017 and 2018, I think that was pretty easy to see.

Some were calling for his head in 2015, so I guess they deserve some kudos for that, but I can't say their voices were very loud when we were performing well on offense with a rookie QB in 2016.

JohnBoy likes this.
  20. DeathMonkey

DeathMonkey Well-Known Member

4,401 Messages
    7,275 Likes Received
    Lions fans were laughing at the Cowboys for hiring Linehan. That really should have told us everything we needed to know. Lions fans were LAUGHING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.