This Could be Witten's Best Year Ever

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So . . . maybe Witten has lost a step in the blocking game. And that's not good.

But in this offense, under Kellen Moore, I think he can be more productive than ever in the passing game where it matters.

Yep, Witten is getting old.

But he's not too old to play this game.

And what he lacks now from age, he makes up for with wisdom.

I personally expect his number of TDs to increase.

If we are to be a better team in the red zone, which I hope was our #1 focus this off-season, Witten has to score.

His best year ever for TDs was 9.

I'm personally OK with him getting 500-600 yards.

But I want to see Kellen Moore work his magic and squeeze 9 TDs out of an aging Witten.

I know it sounds crazy. But that was a big problem with Linehan's offense. He never could use Witten's height in the red zone or knack for getting open in the red zone.

I somehow think Moore will find a way to score with Witten.

Just a hunch. I could be wrong, like many times before.

But I see Witten as a scoring machine in 2019.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Witten has no more wisdom now than he did 5 years ago. He stopped having an athletic edge over anybody guarding him in, like, 2012.

I'd be shocked if he hits 5 TDs and if he has 500 yards, the offense is in much worse shape than we thought.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Witten has no more wisdom now than he did 5 years ago. He stopped having an athletic edge over anybody guarding him in, like, 2012.

I'd be shocked if he hits 5 TDs and if he has 500 yards, the offense is in much worse shape than we thought.

Witten in the redzone.

That's the point of the thread.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Where does anyone get that he has lost a step? He played one preseason game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Still, though, Witten's wisdom about defenses and how to get open gives him an edge even over some more athletic guys at the position.

Where does anyone get that he has lost a step? He played one preseason game.

It's been happening over the years.

He's lost a bit of speed. You can only assume he's lost some strength.

Regarding his blocking, I still think he'll be just fine because of his experience..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
While I wouldn't be too surprised if he had 10 tds, I don't see that any one person will get the majority of the looks in the red zone, I'm looking more at like 5 players getting 3-5 tds each, with Zeke getting more goal line carries.

10 tds for Witten seems doubtful to me....

Pass2Run

Reaction score
While I wouldn't be too surprised if he had 10 tds, I don't see that any one person will get the majority of the looks in the red zone, I'm looking more at like 5 players getting 3-5 tds each, with Zeke getting more goal line carries.

10 tds for Witten seems doubtful to me....

For me, as an OC, Witten would be my #1 option, although you may not always play it like that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Kellen Moore..

Never too late to teach an old dog new tricks...
There is absolutely nothing that Moore can teach Jason Witten, and no way he can be used that he wasn't before.

Witten can win on the option route. Period. Because the only way he can get separation is to use a defender's leverage against him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know. He's never been a scoring machine, so I don't know why he would be now.

Because he has Dak throwing it to him, and Moore calling the plays, as opposed to Tony throwing to him and Linehan calling the plays? :muttley:

Oh, man I better duck and run now....here comes everything including the kitchen sink....:lmao:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing that Moore can teach Jason Witten, and no way he can be used that he wasn't before.

Witten can win on the option route. Period. Because the only way he can get separation is to use a defender's leverage against him.

Wrong.

I really am hoping Moore figures out a way to use Witten in the red zone.

His a really big guy and there's more ways than one to use that to the offense's advantage.

Right now, the thing I'm most excited about on Sunday is getting a glimpse at how Kellen Moore thinks in live situations.

I've been a big Kellen Moore fan since he started for us.. Going back to look at that game, a few times, helps me realize he was a smart choice for OC.

The irony is he replaced Linehan, who brought him in.