This day in Cowboys history - The Dez Bryant Catch

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You had to maintain possession throughout the process of the catch......Dez did NOT maintain possession, the ball came out when he hit the ground, END OF STORY!
No, you had to meet the definition of element of time, control & making football moves to establish yourself as a runner. Dez did all those things.

So he was a runner by the time the ball moved. Which if anything was a fumble recovered by the runner.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No, you had to meet the definition of element of time, control & making football moves to establish yourself as a runner. Dez did all those things.

So he was a runner by the time the ball moved. Which if anything was a fumble recovered by the runner.
Unless you were "going to the ground." Then those requirements take precedent. As such, you needed to maintain possession throughout the process of contacting the ground.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

No, he was not a runner, he did not make a football move, running down the field jumping up and your momentum of jumping up and falling forward is NOT A FOOTBALL Move.....See Calvin Johnson non TD catch against the bears.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Of course I will. I have been here since the week Rodgers went in for Favre and you guys said he would never amount to much. If Packer do not win, I hope the Cowboys win the Super Bowl. I like McCarthy and think it would be awesome to see him win another one.
When did I say Rodgers wouldn’t amount to much?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You had to maintain possession throughout the process of the catch......Dez did NOT maintain possession, the ball came out when he hit the ground, END OF STORY!
You if you stumble for 20 yards & then bobble the ball as you fall, you never became a runner with possession of the ball? The ball just magically drifted along with you for those 20 yards?

Dunks3001

Reaction score

Hmm , I disagree with this. If memory serves me correctly, we had a small lead and time was our friend. Romo's first priority should be to get the first down and keep the clock moving. If you HAVE to take a kill shot then do it on 1st-3rd down.4th down should be convert and get a new set of down keep bleeding the clock. Not sure what Romo was thinking here

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
You if you stumble for 20 yards & then bobble the ball as you fall, you never became a runner with possession of the ball? The ball just magically drifted along with you for those 20 yards?
The rule was clear, I said it at the the time during the game thread that that play was going to be overturned on review because I knew the rule, and it was overturned,, See the Calvin Johnson TD catch against the Bears that was overturned .it's no different than the Dez play...know the rule!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
No, he was not a runner, he did not make a football move, running down the field jumping up and your momentum of jumping up and falling forward is NOT A FOOTBALL Move.....See Calvin Johnson non TD catch against the bears.

The rule was put in to keep players from "catching" the ball in a sliding, diving position without exhibiting control of the ball. Players were often trapping the ball and their bodies & other players around them made it very difficult to see when they had made a clean catch. The rule was never intended to apply in cases like this.

The rule was worded in such a way that it began to be interpreted much more broadly than it was ever intended.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That wasn’t the rule back then. They changed the rule because of this game, to add some clarity.
They changed the rule to cover themselves botching that play, made a complete disaster of things the following year and THEN changed it again to what it was when Dez caught it, finally with a little more clarity.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo haters: “Romo shouldve thrown it to Beasley”

Also Romo haters: “it was a catch”
It was a 4th and 2, Romo should have gone for the first down to either Beasley or Witten and milked the clock. Had Dez scored on that play, Rodgers had plenty of time to move the Packers in position for the winning score. After the catch was overturned we couldn’t stop the Packers from eating up the clock. Our defense got us beat that day. Rodgers looked like he was running around on a peg leg and we had no pass rush. We only had 28 sacks that season after moving from DWare.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The rule was clear, I said it at the the time during the game thread that that play was going to be overturned on review because I knew the rule, and it was overturned,, See the Calvin Johnson TD catch against the Bears that was overturned .it's no different than the Dez play...know the rule!
So, you would be fine with the 20 yards of stumbling being ruled a non catch?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not when the ball hits the ground and pops out
But common sense says that an uncaught object will continue on some path other that that of the receiver. The fact that the ball stops its flight (which would take it out of bounds) and takes Dez's path from that point until the time it moves from his clear control is the very definition of being possessed.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Not when the ball hits the ground and pops out
Well the league accepted it was a catch , fumble but recovered by the same player later. I think the most important part was changing hands , how could you change hands unless you finished the catch, Dez was a bit dumb for lunging at goal line for the TD , if he just went down and kept possession it would have no doubt and ball in 1/2 yard line , which would have wasted clock and most likely converted TD.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Romo haters: “Romo shouldve thrown it to Beasley”

Also Romo haters: “it was a catch”
Romo saw no safety help, one on one coverage for Dez all the way on a pre-snap read. He didn’t even look for Beasley because the only reason Beasley was temporarily free was because of the timed corner blitz as the corner left him for the safety.

Nevertheless, I’ve argued many times here that it was a catch that never should’ve been overruled. Only the Cowboys get that overturned there.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It was a catch then and it is a catch now. He snagged the ball out of the air at around the 5 yard line and carries it to damn near the goal line. Not sure how you else you can do that unless, you know, you caught the ball.

Also, I get the whole "even if he caught it there was time for Rodgers to go down the field" talk. While this is very possible, we can never know that. There could have been a fumble, an interception, a defensive stop, or whatever. The NFL robbed us of the chance to see how the rest of that unfolded.

I could have walked away in a better light being bummed that our defense couldn't make a stop vs. feeling straight up robbed.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I still don’t think he caught it. He trapped it and it hit the ground. When he gets up he wasn’t throwing up no X, or being cocky. He knew it moved.
even when he took three steps and a football move leaping for the endzone before the ground caused the fumbl... err I mean non catch??
look it was so long ago and we are all over it at this point, but I do think more was done before the ground even came into play but whatever

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Well the league accepted it was a catch , fumble but recovered by the same player later. I think the most important part was changing hands , how could you change hands unless you finished the catch, Dez was a bit dumb for lunging at goal line for the TD , if he just went down and kept possession it would have no doubt and ball in 1/2 yard line , which would have wasted clock and most likely converted TD.
He clearly caught the ball above his head with both hands, brought it down to shoulders, then transferred it to his right hand, looking down to evaluate the situation with the defender & then lunged to advance the ball. All hallmarks of being in possession & having become a runner.