This Garrett situation is definitely about the money

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@CyberB0b The Garrett situation is definitely NOT about the money. Jerry just doesn't want to fire one of his best friends. But said friend, even though he seems to do all the things right, just can't win and the customers (Dallas Cowboy fans) all hate his best friend.

Jerry can't have his cake and eat it too. Can't have the customers and Garrett as HC.

Golfzilla77

Reaction score
just my two cents - i think Jerry is trying to look good by waiting until the date of the contract to finish, so he can say he didn't fire him. Perhaps he thinks it'll look good when he looks for the next coach? Either way, if this is indeed what he's doing, the best coaches available would probably already be signed by other teams.

I always thought McCarthy might be a good coach for us, since he's had some success at Green Bay, but at this point, i'm really not expecting much because if the GM position doesn't either change out or change it's personality, i don't see how anything is going to be much different.

Praxit

Reaction score
..10 days of so called non-work is pennies to the Jones. I think there's more to the dealio.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They wouldn't be having all these face-to-face meetings if that's all it was. There is definitely something smoldering under this smoke

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry literally farts $1000 bills. It isn't about the money. It is about Jerry and his Monte Burns ego and management style.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
There are no severance packages in NFL coaching contracts. They are fully guaranteed. If you fire them before the contract is up, you still owe them the rest of the money stated in the contract. Garrett likely has already received his total payout for the year or is due one more check which he would get regardless of when his final day is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If his contract expires in 12 days, and there is a provision to pay him out a severance if he is let go before this date, this could be part of the hold up. The Jones boys have been odd about paying people to do nothing.

If you remember, they didn't want a "walk around" head coach, because they didn't want to pay a real offensive coordinator. Part of the same reasoning. The short answer is they are making Garrett stay until the end of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he was washing Jerry's car while he was out on vacation in Aspen.
Come on man......... You're joking right?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If his contract expires in 12 days, and there is a provision to pay him out a severance if he is let go before this date, this could be part of the hold up. The Jones boys have been odd about paying people to do nothing.

If you remember, they didn't want a "walk around" head coach, because they didn't want to pay a real offensive coordinator. Part of the same reasoning. The short answer is they are making Garrett stay until the end of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he was washing Jerry's car while he was out on vacation in Aspen.

Let me guess, Garrett showed you a copy of his contract and that is why you know there is severance pay if he fired before the 12th.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I always thought McCarthy might be a good coach for us, since he's had some success at Green Bay,

There is a profile on The Athletic about McCarthy that says he has interviewed twice with the Panthers and is scheduled for interviews with Browns and Giants.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
small-stretch-armstrong-oty__80120.1544309829.jpg
hBC5950A6

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
Meh, this is the only way JJ can stay relevant during the playoffs...He will fire JG Saturday morning and announce the new coach during the Super bowl...

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I don't understand.

Even if it was, you just let his contract expire and have the next coach's contract take effect the day afterwards. You just tell Garret you won't give him a new contract and its over.

This extension of time is about Jerry trying to figure out how to keep Garret. We might not like it but its so obvious its painful. I'll tell you, if JG had made the playoffs, I virtually guarantee that he would have been kept. Jerry is probably surprised he is even in this position because up until 11 days ago, JJ was convinced that was going to happen and had no contingency plan.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Actually you would not.

Why would you care what the 10 year HC that didn't win anything had to say about the current roster, transitioning to another coach, etc?

If anything, you'd want as little input from him as possible and let those interviewing for the job tell you what they think about the roster, changes they would need to see happen, etc.

I totally agree with this. But you are talking logic here. Jerry does illogical things. And this is a totally emotional situation wrapped with a bunch of dysfunction. Garrett feels obligated to do this and Jerry is agonizing over letting go of someone whom he treats like one of his own sons. We know logic says you have a meeting, come up with a mutual agreement, then have a press conference telling the world you have mutually parted ways and his contract will just lapse on January 14th, but this is Jerry here. There is no logic.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can't make this stuff up....oh wait you do make this stuff up. Jerry couldn't give a dam about paying Garrett for another 10 days.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

At most they would have to pay Garrett the remainder of his contract, which is identical to what he will be paid if they keep him until his contract expires.

munkee

Reaction score

I doubt Jones has any problem paying Garrett the full value of his contract.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

That doesn't require multiple meetings with Garrett.