CFZ This indicator accurately predicts teams that have a chance to win a SB

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POINT DIFFERENTIAL is one of the most accurate ways to determine teams that have a legitimate shot to win a Super Bowl. In fact in the last 9 seasons, 8 SB winners finished in the top 6 in point differential stats.

Here’s what I mean- 8 of the last 9 winners since 2013 all were in the top 6 in point differential:

• 2021- SB champ-Rams finished 6th in point differential.
  • 2020 SB champ- Bucs finished 4th in PD.
  • 2019 SB champ- the chiefs finished 4th in PD.
  • 2018 SB champ- the Patriots finished 5th in PD.
  • 2017 SB champ- the eaglets finished 1st in PD.
  • 2016 SB champ- the Patriots finished 1st in PD.
  • 2015 SB champ- the Broncos finished 10th in PD (the outlier of all these champs)
  • 2014- SB champ: the Patriots finished 1st in PD.
  • 2013 SB champ- the Seahawks finished 2nd in PD.
Here are the current TOP 6 in Point Differential through 10 games:
  1. Buffalo- +107
  2. Dallas- +84
  3. Filly- +80
  4. Kansas City- +67
  5. Cincy- +50
  6. Baltimore- +49
Recent history is clear- The Cowboys are currently among the teams with the best shot to win a SB. Lots of football left to play, but we are in a good position.

Jipper

Reaction score
While I agree….we did finish 2nd last year in point differential.

I look at the differential in terms of balance and last years team was over loaded in offenseive stats where as this year the defense is just as much a reason for our differential….which is why I think it’s a totally different indicAtor for this years team vs last

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Eagles and Chiefs are more consistent than us and the Bills. Right now I’d pick them as the favorites.

cnuball21

Reaction score
POINT DIFFERENTIAL is one of the most accurate ways to determine teams that have a legitimate shot to win a Super Bowl. In fact in the last 9 seasons, 8 SB winners finished in the top 6 in point differential stats.

Here’s what I mean- 8 of the last 9 winners since 2013 all were in the top 6 in point differential:

• 2015 SB champ- the Broncos finished 10th in PD (the outlier of all these champs)
  1. Buffalo- +107
  2. Dallas- +84
  3. Filly- +80
  4. Kansas City- +67
  5. Cincy- +50
  6. Baltimore- +49
Recent history is clear- The Cowboys are currently among the teams with the best shot to win a SB. Lots of football left to play, but we are in a good position.

Good post and nice stat. We’re looking good.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

1. Buffalo- +107
  2. Dallas- +84
  3. Filly- +80
  4. Kansas City- +67
  5. Cincy- +50
  6. Baltimore- +49

I had a cat back in the 70's. The only cat I have ever owned. On the window sill in my apartment was a red flower pot. In it was a dead Bonsai plant. All the needles had fallen off years before. I just couldn't part with its skeleton because I named it Glenn.

My cat, who was named Dog, would get up and poop in the red flower pot, but only if the Cowboys were in the play-offs, the night before they played. It never failed that if Dog dropped a load, the Cowboys would win. It never failed......except.

In the 1980's, Dog, was really old by then. He still did his usual habit of portending the outcome of Cowboy games in the play-offs, and his batting average was running true to form.

The night before the 1981 NFC Championship game, old Dog jumped up in the red flower pot and deposited the winning lottery ticket. I immediately called my bookie and, after cashing in my Bar Mitzvah savings bonds, laid it all on the boys to win.

I'm just certain Dog could see the Catch and understood Dallas still had a shot. I suppose, in his aged state, he didn't envision Danny White fumbling away his only shot at a Title.

Still to this day I wonder if anyone adopted Dog from the animal shelter where I left him.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
While I agree….we did finish 2nd last year in point differential.

I look at the differential in terms of balance and last years team was over loaded in offenseive stats where as this year the defense is just as much a reason for our differential….which is why I think it’s a totally different indicAtor for this years team vs last
We also finished first in total takeaways and first in turnover differential which helps the offensive stats a great deal.

My takeaway from this is while PTS diff and TO diff often go hand in hand, and being at the top in both categories is generally a good thing, it can also be deceiving. A team that is tops in PTS diff without the benefit of the high TO diff is probably the best indicator of a balanced team that is playing both great offense and great defense.

I expect this years Eagles to be the latest team to fall short in the playoffs IF they can't generate the turnovers that are helping their unbalanced offense to succeed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Eagles and Chiefs are more consistent than us and the Bills. Right now I’d pick them as the favorites.
really truly,I do NOT care about the afc , so that back to eagle's vs the NFC.. if we make the SB IDC who we are facing LOL

Ill be ecstatic to get to an NFCCG this year, that ends so many years of narratives and frustration.

so, let's stay in our division and conference, BTW leaving out Ravens and titans is common mistake. they have a scheme that travels with the playoffs. also, one again the 9ers are long shot but weve seen this before they seem to come on late and mess **** up for teams.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

1. Buffalo- +107
  2. Dallas- +84
  3. Filly- +80
  4. Kansas City- +67
  5. Cincy- +50
  6. Baltimore- +49
Bob, you talking SB ?
:omg: