Twitter: This is a big year for DLaw

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Imo Lawrence is one of those players who people gripe about being overpaid, then when he's let go he gets more money somewhere else, or at least close to it, then the player they replace him with isn't as good, and people say they shouldn't have let him go..

Don't be fooled by flash and stats, a player's value is just as much in how he enables other players to do their jobs, though unfortunately too many times (Jaylon do you hear me?) those other players fall down on their job.
Same thing happened to Ware.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I group him in with a few others in the ‘gravy’ group. Whatever he brings to the team is gravy. Not relying or expecting him to do much. Tired of these all talk, no action players. Looking forward to the day he is finally let go.

I don’t even care if he gets suspended for PEDs again.

I would much rather see the new draft picks like Odig and Golston and FAs like Urban and Basham.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He’s been one of the best, if not the best, run defender on the team. That’s not necessarily a good thing as you want him to be the best pass rusher on the team. Hoping Quinn will use him more effectively and DLaw goes all in.

Requisite of his contract he's not been good enough. On the 31st ranked run defense, its not hard to be the best... that's not saying anything, Rocky.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agree but remember DLaw was paid as a top pass rushed after having 2 seasons wherein he totaled 25 sacks (2017-2018) and since then he has amassed 11.5 sacks in 2 seasons....so while I get the need to have someone equally capable to replace him should he be traded/released after this season you are asking for someone to produce basically 6 sacks/season and be an adequate run defender....something I think can be done for far less than the $25M DLaw is being paid. Hell, Everson Griffin got $6M between Dallas/Detroit and put up 6 sacks in 2020....not that he is at the same level as DLaw now but you see my point.

I totally agree. But again, we're not talking about improving on the field, just cap hit. Lets see how DLaw does under better circumstances if they present themselves. We want him to be the player he was paid to be, not be replaced by someone equally disappointing. I'm hoping for the best.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
How about getting the guy some help from the 3 tech and RDE spots! If you look at the film it's consistent double teams for him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Requisite of his contract he's not been good enough. On the 31st ranked run defense, its not hard to be the best... that's not saying anything, Rocky.
I said as much. However last year is an anomaly with a 1st year DC and staff who were awful and the pandemic. I'm willing to give him another chance and not quit on him so easily.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Imo Lawrence is one of those players who people gripe about being overpaid, then when he's let go he gets more money somewhere else, or at least close to it, then the player they replace him with isn't as good, and people say they shouldn't have let him go..

Don't be fooled by flash and stats, a player's value is just as much in how he enables other players to do their jobs, though unfortunately too many times (Jaylon do you hear me?) those other players fall down on their job.
What? Lawrence wasn't let go and didn't get more money elsewhere. He stayed, got paid, and then underplayed.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
His lack of sacks is not due solely to his lack of effort, he's not had d-line play worth much, he's asked to defend the run most of the time and lastly he plays on the quarterback's non-blind side.

I would submit if you put him on the other side of the line and gave him some better dt play he'd be back to the 14.5 sack level. As is often the case, players get blamed for not doing something when anybody else that's put in the same situation wouldn't get 14.5 sacks, either.

Players don't exist in a vacuum...

He is not a RDE build type pass rusher and had obvious success in 2017-2018 rushing from the same position when in 2017 Dallas had Crawford on the other side and Thornton and Collins at the DT positions and in 2018 they had Crawford on the opposite side and Jones and Ward at the DT positions (a lesser group than in 2017 yet Lawrence got more sacks in '18 than '17).
Lawrence got paid before the start of the '19 season and Dallas brought in Quinn to play the opposite DE position and while Quinn stepped up and amassed 11.5 sacks that season Lawrence could only manage 6 sacks.......so Lawrence was given help on the opposite side but with money in the bank he failed to duplicate his past performances.....coincidence?

CCBoy

Reaction score
He does a great job and plays hard. Not flashy enough for some, but he brings it every game.

He and Gregory paired up with additional pressure from the outside by Smith and Parsons; then improved defensive tackle push along with secondary blitzes...and I am looking forward to this defense as well as linebacker play now. The secondary is still a question, but the linebackers and defensive line has both good depth and some valid talent now.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I said as much. However last year is an anomaly with a 1st year DC and staff who were awful and the pandemic. I'm willing to give him another chance and not quit on him so easily.
I got news for you, Rocky. We have yet another 1st year DC and staff and the pandemic is still here. Apparently, according to your own words, that's a good enough reason for you to give up once again.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
PFF has Lawrence rated the 7th best edge defender.

But I get it, our players have to be the best in the league, we can't accept less, right? Throw the bum out, let's go for the absolute top edge defender, 7th isn't good enough, right?

He got the big bucks from Jerry, so it doesn't matter who his teammates are, who the coaches are, etc. he got the money so that automatically means he has to be the top dog at his position, nothing else matters. You get paid, no reason why you can't play lights out.

:rolleyes:

CCBoy

Reaction score
When I was in the Marines men weren't allowed to wear an earring at any time. A young Marine was off duty and at a BBQ and a Warrant Officer I knew well walked up to him, grabbed the earring and yanked it out. Someone needs to yank off that HotBoyz neckless from those players.

I was Army...so, hoooooah!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I got news for you, Rocky. We have yet another 1st year DC and staff and the pandemic is still here. Apparently, according to your own words, that's a good enough reason for you to give up once again.

Oh, our 'new DC' isn't a 'rook' or lacking in leadership qualities...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Though this year it appears we'll have a full off season program and preseason games, and Quinn may go back to a similar defense as in 2019, meaning the players will be familiar with it. Didn't have that last year. Last year is best forgotten....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
What? Lawrence wasn't let go and didn't get more money elsewhere. He stayed, got paid, and then underplayed.

He wasn't let go? Wow, how did I miss that? :rolleyes:

Obviously he's still here, since you missed my point entirely, let me explain it. IF he was let go he'd likely turn out like I said. It was a hypothetical comparison to other players that have been in similar circumstances, both with the Cowboys and other players/teams as well.

Sorry if it was too complicated of a post for you...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Though this year it appears we'll have a full off season program and preseason games, and Quinn may go back to a similar defense as in 2019, meaning the players will be familiar with it. Didn't have that last year. Last year is best forgotten....
I bet Dan Quinn would like to forget last season considering he was so bad he was fired midseason.