This is a Rebuilding Year

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would counter with the argument that if this is a rebuilding year they would not have brought in Poe, Griffen, Aldon Smith and McCoy (although he was released).

Now I guess one could argue that they brought in those veteran players to bridge a gap between some of the younger players but I don't know that we have too many young Pass rushers that they view as being future stars.
Maybe they could say they think that Gallimore and Hill are future players and needed vet gaps for them in Poe and McCoy. But not seeing it at DE.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know most don't want to hear it, but we're simply not going anywhere until we fix the D. Pretty sure McC is well aware of that. Galley and Diggs are a good start. Need tons more talent on D, though at this point.
Looking at our roster, next draft I hope to see a D'Aron Payne type DT or an RDE. RDE is very questionable long term, even is Aldon Smith is a long term Cowboy ( they seem to have a specific vision for him as a pass rushing LB)

I think Hill by the end of the season could have the 3T locked down. Gallimore, Ive always seen him as a higher end rotational guy. Especially on this team. I think Hill will be the superior 3T, and I dont think Gallimore is a true 1T. To me he is a guy that can log 500+ snaps as a non starter. Thats where I would like a D'Aron Payne type. Unmovable in the run game. Not a true sack artist, but very effective pushing the pocket in the passing game.

In the secondary, we need players too. Hopefully Diggs show's he is capable of being a #1 CB, so they we arent forcing a CB pick in the 1st. Not that it should be off the table, but if Diggs is basically Awuzie then you would need to be agressive filling the position. I really like doing that for a position like CB. Its a bit down my list of position importance.

As far as Safety. What to even say lol.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I know,, and I like his upside,, just too soon to be given a cute name.
I want to see see upside presence before Gallimore gets mentioned.

I think people use that nickname, in this case, as shorthand to not have to type out Gallimore.

I agree with his upside as well.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think they can win the division and see where that goes. They look like favorites to atleast do that. I do think there’s much needed work to be done to truly compete for a ring. So we’ll see 1. If they make the playoffs. And 2. What they do when they get there. But a rebuild is usually looking at around 5 to 8 wins and this team is better than that.

Last edited:

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Seems more like a revamping year for the defense................A rebuild would have had Cooper and Dak leaving in free agency............

lwehlers

Reaction score
a lot of the offense is in there prime years right now so no rebuilding on offense. on defense it is just starting to rebuild. just have to to rely on the offense this year and hope that they can outscore our defense like they did against the falcons. the most important thing the offense can do is not turn the ball over like they did on sunday. also rely on our kicker to make his kicks when he is call upon. maybe 9-7 will win the division this year.

GenoT

Reaction score
I know most don't want to hear it, but we're simply not going anywhere until we fix the D. Pretty sure McC is well aware of that. Galley and Diggs are a good start. Need tons more talent on D, though at this point.
Maybe not rebuilding...but we just turned over most of a coaching staff after 9.5 years of Garrett....AND with a strange preseason.

Might take a few games.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Should be a natural tank year. Play the young guys and if they win great, but better if they lose so we get a top 5 pick. Instead this will be a fight for 8 win team...again

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I’m not opposed to necessarily calling this a rebuilding year. New coaches, new schemes and we do have some holes on defense that appear to be pretty glaring. I’d like to see things shake out a little more to see how glaring they actually are.

however, even in a so-called rebuilding year we can win this crappy division.

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The OL is off to a promising start. The D is a hot mess.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I remember when this coaching staff was assembled it was said that they were going to fit the scheme to the players yet on defense it seems like they are trying to make the players fit the scheme. I'm not a coach but to me I think the defense should stop using whatever this scheme is and go back to playing 4 down linemen and just turn them lose to go after the QB.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I remember when this coaching staff was assembled it was said that they were going to fit the scheme to the players yet on defense it seems like they are trying to make the players fit the scheme. I'm not a coach but to me I think the defense should stop using whatever this scheme is and go back to playing 4 down linemen and just turn them lose to go after the QB.
I'm guessing things were made more difficult with the truncated off-season training and no pre-season to make the proper evaluations in regards to new stuff.
Like I said: just guessing.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm guessing things were made more difficult with the truncated off-season training and no pre-season to make the proper evaluations in regards to new stuff.
Like I said: just guessing.

That doesn't change what it appears to have happen by trying to make player fit their scheme instead of doing what they said they were going to do and that is play the scheme that fits the players. There's all kinds of film on how they played to see what schemes work and it just seems they decided on a scheme and are making the player fit that instead of the other way around.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That doesn't change what it appears to have happen by trying to make player fit their scheme instead of doing what they said they were going to do and that is play the scheme that fits the players. There's all kinds of film on how they played to see what schemes work and it just seems they decided on a scheme and are making the player fit that instead of the other way around.
Yeah. It does appear that way. Looks like a lot of hot air that went up into the atmosphere as of this moment.