Video: This is now roughing the passer

Ring Leader

Reaction score

Coming soon to a stadium near you:
th

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That was a good penalty called. Not only can a defender NOT land his weight on him, but at the end he left his feet and drove him to the ground. He could have avoided that.

Titleist

Reaction score
Why is this in the fan zone? I get why people are upset about the call, but this is drama zone or nfl zone material.

erod

Reaction score
That was a good penalty called. Not only can a defender NOT land his weight on him, but at the end he left his feet and drove him to the ground. He could have avoided that.
Politically correct tackling.

Actually, we can't say tackle anymore because that denotes violence. We have to call it assisted standing prevention.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I assume it was the driving into the turf.

He didn't just hit and take him down, he drove him into the turf. I assume that was the call.

Not particularly vicious, but this was not a tick tack call. The defender made the choice the league didn't want him to make. So he got a penalty.

The "blow to the head" calls are much worse. Incidental touches count. This was not incidental.
Those pile driving sacks cost Romo a lot of injuries.
Good reads. Always nice to see anyone who can differentiate types of tackling. Many observers incorrectly see tackling as generic--where a player is deemed physically unfit if injured from such tackling and not due to the cause-and-effect of elementary physics.

The best advantage for any team is for their starting quarterback to remain as healthy as possible. If that precaution is not painfully obvious in today's multi-billion dollar NFL, nothing is. Franchises want their starting quarterback on the field and not on the sidelines nursing avoidable injuries.

endersdragon

Reaction score
If I remember correctly
So for the Dallas Cowboys it will be the usual
For years...this is what has happened....

We finger touch a QB we get called for roughing the passer

Romo got practically murdered and nothing is called.

So it does not effect the usual game called against us.
Romo never had a roughing the passer penalty the 4th quarter and only had one once or twice in the second half

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
His momentum drove him forward. That was a textbook form tackle. The play isn't over until after the whistle is blown.
Exactly what I thought, I didn't see him being driven at all after the initial contact... looked like momentum to me.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I assume it was the driving into the turf.

He didn't just hit and take him down, he drove him into the turf. I assume that was the call.

Not particularly vicious, but this was not a tick tack call. The defender made the choice the league didn't want him to make. So he got a penalty.

The "blow to the head" calls are much worse. Incidental touches count. This was not incidental.

Like when Jordan Hicks turned Tony in mid air and drove his shoulder into the ground to break his clavie the first time? I hate that dude.

Beaker42

Reaction score
His momentum drove him forward. That was a textbook form tackle. The play isn't over until after the whistle is blown.

It was textbook until the extra “giving him the business” dump at the end.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Pretty bad call. We have to remember that rules like this are added every year though and they always get over called in preseason.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
You don't see the last second drive into the turf?

Absolutely not, I see his shoulder and weight leaning down while both are mid air for half a second. This is so micromanaged to the point of absurdity. Are we now judging psychics? That’s now driving someone into the turf? He tackled him in such a text book manner.