Twitter: This is why you can't trust PFF Trevon Diggs

phildadon86

Reaction score
I like it.

He's really good in some areas and not so good in others.

Hopefully it doesn't come to it, but I'm very curious to see how you guys treat him if he only get 4 or 5 INTS, but still gives up the yards (1st in the NFL) and commits the penalties (1st among DBs).
This puts his coverage above what you said his abilities are though. Or am I misreading it?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This puts his coverage above what you said his abilities are though. Or am I misreading it?
Does this erase everything else for you?

If so, that's fine, by all means take comfort in it, but it doesn't for me.

Personally, I need to see the yards and penalties down significantly. We're better with him than without him, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean that there's not A LOT of room for improvement.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Does this erase everything else for you?

If so, that's fine, by all means take comfort in it, but it doesn't for me.

Personally, I need to see the yards and penalties down significantly. We're better with him than without him, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean that there's not A LOT of room for improvement.
Of course there is. That can be said for every player on the roster not named Zach Martin lol.
However this does explain a lot of the blown coverages that I brought up to you. Just wanted to point out that we were both right lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Until someone can illustrate what plays he "gave up" that resulted in points, the yard argument is flimsy unless you factor that detail in AND the coverage assignments.
11 INTs is outstanding. He also scored points. And, what always gets overlooked are passes defended. Those are the very definition of being great in coverage.

erod

Reaction score
The good news is that he didn't have a season like last year in a contract year. One-year interception totals can be very misleading.

This year he'll show his actual value, so hopefully he has a good year.

Nobody should expect 11 ints because that's not realistic. Just show coverage improvement and grab the ints when the chances happen.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Most of us that watched knew Diggs was taking heat for other people’s blown coverages. He’s definitely a gambler, but blown safety coverage was a bigger issue over the top.

The type of coverage they had to play could have loads to do with this also, IF DQ can get legit DT play at a consistant level it will change how the FS play and look. Getting gashed in the run game gets cover 1 called too many times.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What makes it garbage though? No one can ever say.

Their grading system is an opinion poll. They take each play and have random people rate their opinion of a players performance on a scale from -3 to 3. They call it a grade but it is exactly the same method of the "strongly disagree to strongly agree" opinion and psych polls everyone has seen which typically range from -2 to 2.

That makes it subjective. Do you need to be explained why subjective statistics are fraught?

Further muddying the waters is that there is a different number of graders each with their own subjective evaluation doing each of these player grades.

That makes normalization between each player -something they do not even try to do- impossible.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yep. Kazee was usually there but could not make the play

On those plays it tells me thar Diggs knew help was in place for him to make the gamble but the help failed.

Kazee was awful. Only safety without range to get to the sideline even in cover 2 and he had no ballskills beyond running under a badly thrown ball.

Creeper

Reaction score
More reasons why I don't give a hoot what sports analysts think of the players on my team. I can form my own opinions which are just as good as theirs. Defense is a scheme and team thing. Diggs more than plays his part in making a great defense. If he Deion Sanders? No. But he is still a good player. I am glad he plays for Dallas.

Just win a Super Bowl and the critics will be silenced for a few months.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It’s what the people here do.

Jerry used to spend big in free agency and fans said: “Jerry is trying to buy a championship. That’s why Dallas is always in cap hell. He throws money at free agents because he can’t draft. You can’t build a team that way!”

The battle cry of the mad fan then: “Special Teams draft!!!”

Now, the front office thinks you pay too much in free agency for big ticket players, and fans say: “Penny pinching Jerry and Stephen can’t do free agency. They just want to save money by only using the draft. You can’t build a team that way!

The battle cry of the mad fan now: “Dumpster diving!!!”
The team hasn't gotten it right but this is also 100% correct.
They have tried it many different ways and each is criticized equally.
Even intelligent people want to toss out how they equally waste Romo/Dak without noting this entire front office strat (build through draft) is BECAUSE they failed trying it the other way (vet free agency) with Romo.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The team hasn't gotten it right but this is also 100% correct.
They have tried it many different ways and each is criticized equally.
Even intelligent people want to toss out how they equally waste Romo/Dak without noting this entire front office strat (build through draft) is BECAUSE they failed trying it the other way (vet free agency) with Romo.
Truth.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Where are all you bozos now?
I was already fully aware of this stats and his top 5 ranking as an overall CB ie becoming close to elite status yet fans wont listen they parrot what they hear.