This is year Jim Rice gets into HOF

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I always liked Rice and Yaz even though I am a Reds fan (yeah I know they suck) :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Will Clark, Dwight Gooden and Orel Hershiser are all possabilities. Ossie Guillen was a great fielding SS but I don't think his hitting will get it done. You could be right. I think Rice is long over due.

As a side note, I think this is Pete Rose's last year of elligability. Something could happen there as well.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Maybe Hersheiser. Will Clark faded and has nowhere near the stats. Gooden threw a tremendous opportunity away. This may be Rice's last shot to get in -

Next 2 to 3 classes are stacked. Sentiment may be there with all this Steroid juiced stuff that his 385 homeruns in an era where 450 home runs meant something might get him in.

I know in his day he was sour to the press hurting him but he now is doing Local NESN Red Sox broadcasting and appears to be trying to vindicate himself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Maybe Hersheiser. Will Clark faded and has nowhere near the stats. Gooden threw a tremendous opportunity away. This may be Rice's last shot to get in -

Next 2 to 3 classes are stacked. Sentiment may be there with all this Steroid juiced stuff that his 385 homeruns in an era where 450 home runs meant something might get him in.

I know in his day he was sour to the press hurting him but he now is doing Local NESN Red Sox broadcasting and appears to be trying to vindicate himself.

I think Clark has a chance. He hit 303 lifetime, over 16 years in the bigs. You look at Tony Perez, the last 1B inducted and he only hit 279 over 22 years. Clark hit 1205 RBIs compared to 1652 for Perez. That's an average of 75 per season. Same as Perez. Clark had 2176 hits compared to Perez's 2732 or 136 per season for Clark and 124 for Perez. Clark hit 284 HRs compared to 379. That's just under 18 per season compared to just over 17 for Perez. The total number of HRs will hurt Clark in comparison but the BA is 20 points higher. Also, I believe Clark's lifetime fielding percentage is better. I think he has a chance.

I agree with you on Dwight Gooden. He could have been a sure fire, First Ballot HOF pitcher but he threw it away. However, for a period of about 7 years, he was the #@%$. At 19 years old, he was dominant. Still, he never won the Cy Young. He has a lifetime .634 winning percentage but only one 20 game winning season. Doesn't have 3000 Ks or 300 wins. He did throw a no hitter. Probably misses the cut though.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think Clark has a chance. He hit 303 lifetime, over 16 years in the bigs. You look at Tony Perez, the last 1B inducted and he only hit 279 over 22 years. Clark hit 1205 RBIs compared to 1652 for Perez. That's an average of 75 per season. Same as Perez. Clark had 2176 hits compared to Perez's 2732 or 136 per season for Clark and 124 for Perez. Clark hit 284 HRs compared to 379. That's just under 18 per season compared to just over 17 for Perez. The total number of HRs will hurt Clark in comparison but the BA is 20 points higher. Also, I believe Clark's lifetime fielding percentage is better. I think he has a chance.

I agree with you on Dwight Gooden. He could have been a sure fire, First Ballot HOF pitcher but he threw it away. However, for a period of about 7 years, he was the #@%$. At 19 years old, he was dominant. Still, he never won the Cy Young. He has a lifetime .634 winning percentage but only one 20 game winning season. Doesn't have 3000 Ks or 300 wins. He did throw a no hitter. Probably misses the cut though.

Though Clark has numbers, he rubbed the media the wrong way on MANY occaisions... they love revenge...

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Gooden won a Cy Young in 1985.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Though Clark has numbers, he rubbed the media the wrong way on MANY occaisions... they love revenge...

Can't argue there. In fact, not many players liked him either. Will the Thrill was equally abrasive with his attitude. It will be interesting to see how it falls out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Gooden won a Cy Young in 1985.

Your absolutly correct. He and Saberhagen won respectively. My appoligies Jossie and thank you for correcting my error.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I'm a big Clark and Rice fan but Rise blows away Clark as a dominant player in his era

Rice - 1978 MVP Top 5 6 Times
Clark no MVP's
Rice 8 Allstars versus 6

Rice 2452 hits to 2176
Rice 382 HR's to 284
Rice 1451 RBI's to 1205
Clark .303 to .298 average

Clark never had 200 hits and Rices 78 season one of the best ever

213 hits 39 Doubles, 15 Triples and 46 HR's and 139 RBI's and a 325 average.

Modern era juiced ball and 60 and 70 Home run seasons have mitigated those numbers - JMO

I believe at the time that season he set the all time total base record - MLB history.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Nors said:
I'm a big Clark and Rice fan but Rise blows away Clark as a dominant player in his era

Clark no MVP's
Rice 8 Allstars versus 6

Rice 2452 hits to 2176
Rice 382 HR's to 284
Rice 1451 RBI's to 1205

Modern era juiced ball and 60 and 70 Home run seasons have mitigated those numbers - JMO

I believe at the time that season he set the all time total base record - MLB history.

46 HRs and 139 RBIs and a .325 average are impressive to me in any era.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:

Clark no MVP's
Rice 8 Allstars versus 6

Rice 2452 hits to 2176
Rice 382 HR's to 284
Rice 1451 RBI's to 1205

I agree. To me, Rice should have gotten in before Perez even. Rice has better numbers. Never the less, he's still not in. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree. To me, Rice should have gotten in before Perez even. Rice has better numbers. Never the less, he's still not in. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

There actually is a reason.... Rice was one of the first black stars to play in Boston. He was surly and not media friendly. I guarantee that the Boston media have shorted him in voting and national media to a lessor extent followed.

And I think it was more the surly attitude than a race issue.... But add it up and he's always just short of getting in.

I'm about to mount a MAJOR campaign here in New England barraging voters on Rice's merits..... I seriously have booked a house in Cooperstown to be at this induction.....

Have another baseball side issue bringing me there that week - my kid in Cooperstown all star little league tournament - worlds collide and its destiny.

I saw Rice in 1973 hit 2 MOON shots in AA ball - as a young kid - I was hooked on Rice.

I'LL SHED A BABY TEAR AT HIS SPEACH.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wasnt it Jim Rice who broke his bad without taking it over his knee? just took it in two hands and snapped it in half

David

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
wasnt it Jim Rice who broke his bad without taking it over his knee? just took it in two hands and snapped it in half

David

Yes - snapped it in half

I saw McGuire do the same over his leg.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Nors said:
Yes - snapped it in half

I saw McGuire do the same over his leg.

Bo Jackson broke bat over his helmet. He just pulled on both ends until it snapped.