This loss was much needed

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I totally disagree.

I don't think losses are good.

Now, it puts pressure on us to go 2-0 to obtain Home Field and thus not being able to rest starters in the last game.

If anything, the Buffalo and Lions game should have served some of purposes you state.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
As long as yesterday's loss makes the team refocus (which is needed) and instills a sense of urgency (which has been lacking), it very well may be a good thing. I'd much rather get a poor performance out of the way now rather than later. We should win our next two games and wrap up homefield advantage. If we don't, then we may need to worry. I think we'll be fine.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1839848 said:
I totally disagree.

I don't think losses are good.

Now, it puts pressure on us to go 2-0 to obtain Home Field and thus not being able to rest starters in the last game.

If anything, the Buffalo and Lions game should have served some of purposes you state.

The Buffalo game was a long time ago and we came back and beat the Lions on the road, even though it wasn't pretty.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
You are correct.....I believe this was the wake up call we needed as a team!

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1839859 said:
As long as yesterday's loss makes the team refocus (which is needed) and instills a sense of urgency (which has been lacking), it very well may be a good thing. I'd much rather get a poor performance out of the way now rather than later. We should win our next two games and wrap up homefield advantage. If we don't, then we may need to worry. I think we'll be fine.

Refocus? Sense of urgency you say?

You mean they don't have that now?

After all, all they are playing for is Home field, a Playoff win, which we have not had in 11 Seasons and rolling into the Playoffs with full speed ahead.

Besides that, why would they need to be focused and have a sense of urgency?

/sarcasm off :D

I would be very concerned if I thought this team wasn't focused and had no sense of urgency.

I think they are focused. I think Romo had a rare horrible game and Philly played well, especially on defense.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
bbgun;1839408 said:
Have fun putting more lipstick on this pig. Nobody can turn lemons into lemonade like Dallas fans.
couldnt have been said better

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Having to go 2-0 to finish up the regular season better not represent much pressure to this team. We'll have to go 3-0 in the playoffs to win the Super Bowl. That's pressure, not having to beat Carolina and Washington back to back. If we can't win those two games, we don't have a chance in the playoffs anyway. We've had a 5 and a 7 game winning streak this year. Going 2-0 shouldn't be that big of a deal. The games are on the road, but we've played better on the road this year anyway.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how they bounce back from a game like this. I think next week's game will say lot about character of this team.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1839871 said:
Refocus? Sense of urgency you say?

You mean they don't have that now?

After all, all they are playing for is Home field, a Playoff win, which we have not had in 11 Seasons and rolling into the Playoffs with full speed ahead.

Besides that, why would they need to be focused and have a sense of urgency?

/sarcasm off :D

I would be very concerned if I thought this team wasn't focused and had no sense of urgency.

I think they are focused. I think Romo had a rare horrible game and Philly played well, especially on defense.

It's human nature to lack a sense of urgency when things are going so well. We haven't really had much adversity for quite some time. Yes, I definitely think teams can lose focus when they're on a 7 game winning streak. We'll play lights out this Saturday. Watch and learn.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Going 2-0 should not be a big deal.

However, the intensity will be higher, both games will be on the road (yes, I know we are undefeated on the road) and we will be playing a division rival on the road.

You want develop a winning mindset and to me, losses don't help in that department.

We also miss an opportunity to rest some guys, even though some schools of thought think that is overrated.

Folks, I understand this loss could galvinize the team.

I don't think this was a good loss.

They simply had a let down game.

I personally don't think this team lacks focus and I certainly don't think they lack a sense of urgency.

I will say this again, if this team lacks focus and a lack of urgency with Home field at stake and trying to play your best ball late in the season, then you have even BIGGER problems.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1839881 said:
Going 2-0 should not be a big deal.

However, the intensity will be higher, both games will be on the road (yes, I know we are undefeated on the road) and we will be playing a division rival on the road.

You want develop a winning mindset and to me, losses don't help in that department.

We also miss an opportunity to rest some guys, even though some schools of thought think that is overrated.

Folks, I understand this loss could galvinize the team.

I don't think this was a good loss.

They simply had a let down game.

I personally don't think this team lacks focus and I certainly don't think they lack a sense of urgency.

I will say this again, if this team lacks focus and a lack of urgency with Home field at stake and trying to play your best ball late in the season, then you have even BIGGER problems.

Even if we had won out, I wouldn't have rested players for the Washington game. Two reasons. We'll have two weeks off before our first playoff game anyway, considering we have a bye wrapped up. Giving players three weeks off is way, way too much. Secondly, your post doesn't make sense. If yesterday's loss was so terrible, why would you want to rest starters for our LAST regular season game, and possibly go into the playoffs having lost our last game? Your argument seems to go a bit in circles. If losing the 14th game is do devastating as you seem to think, why would we want to put ourselves in the position to lose the 16th game?????

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
By the way, you said the team had a letdown game. Isn't that the same thing as saying they were't focused and didn't have a sense or urgency? Exactly like I posted.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
It doesn't say much if a team needs a lose to get focused. You'd think the close call at Detroit would've woke some people up if that is indeed what the problem is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
12-2 folks don't make more of this than there really is. Dallas lost a game and did not play very well offensively I have no doubts this offense will get back on track.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Bach;1839920 said:
It doesn't say much if a team needs a lose to get focused. You'd think the close call at Detroit would've woke some people up if that is indeed what the problem is.

I didn't say it was a good thing. I said it's human nature, especially for athletes. They get too comfortable and cozy thinking they just have to show up to win. A kick in the a** every now and then is a good motivator. Now we'll have to see how they respond. I think Carolina is in for a long day this Saturday.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this team doesn't respond on Saturday-- The playoffs could be very painful.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Guys, it's not like we're limping into the playoffs barely earning a wildcard. We're 12-2 and have secured a bye. We're in the lead for homefield advantage. Get off the pity train. There's only one team in the entire league with a better record. Yesterday was an anomaly. Seattle lost. Indy almost lost to the Raiders. N.E. struggled with the Jets. Pittsburgh lost at home. The Giants lost at home. It's the NFL.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Of course my post makes sense.

Clearly, I am saying "this loss" now prevents us from resting our starters. Basically, I am saying if we had not have lost, we still had an opportunity to rest our starters.

Resting our starters doesn't mean sitting them for the entire game. This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on this board. Dbair1967 even posted a good history of how the Cowboys rested players in the 90s and that certainly didn't have any affect on them.

But as I stated, there are several schools of thought on this issue.

No, a letdown game to me doesn't mean the team wasn't focused and lacked a sense of urgency.

They played an extremely emotional game last week against the Lions where they barely escaped defeat. Personally, I think the players, especially the ones on defense put alot of emotion into the Detroit Game and I think that game took alot out of this team. The aforementioned situation epitomizes a let down game imo.

Tony Romo played well in Lions game, especially on the final drive. He ceratinly looked focused and played with a sense of urgency to me in that game. So why would he all of the sudden lose focus and lack a sense of urgency the following game?

Not saying what you said isn't true, but it just doesn't make sense to me and I don't believe it.

The Eagles played their butts off and the Cowboys laid an egg.

It wasn't because they lack focus.

It wasn't because they lack a sense of urgency.

alancdc

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1839418 said:
Exactly.

If anything, last week's game was an anti-reality check because it allowed the players to think they were immune to anything bad happening.

They probably thought all game, oh it will be fine, we will score at the end (hell I thought they would too) and win.

I also think people forget how hard it is to win eight in a row in the NFL.

I think you are right on. In the other few games where Romo or our D struggled, like they did at Detroit, Dallas still won the game. It has to be in their minds in a game like yesterday that ,"Well, we will come back in the 2nd half and play better because we have all year." No sense of urgency and a lack of concern based on the other 2 games they played poorly in, I believe, cost them this game. Heck, until the last drive when he threw the pick didn't everyone think that we would pull this game out just like the other two? I know I did, and maybe they will come out with some urgency from here on out and concentrate from the opening snap.

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
alancdc;1840105 said:
I think you are right on. In the other few games where Romo or our D struggled, like they did at Detroit, Dallas still won the game. It has to be in their minds in a game like yesterday that ,"Well, we will come back in the 2nd half and play better because we have all year." No sense of urgency and a lack of concern based on the other 2 games they played poorly in, I believe, cost them this game. Heck, until the last drive when he threw the pick didn't everyone think that we would pull this game out just like the other two? I know I did, and maybe they will come out with some urgency from here on out and concentrate from the opening snap.

Maybe going to GB is better because they STINK at home