This team can't compete with the big dogs

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The margin for error is much less this year. Errors can and will happen but they are not catestrophical right now.

The offense can make up for mistakes on either the offense or defense. The defense can make up for mistakes on either the offense or defense. Many playmakers.

Creeper

Reaction score
I'm talking Browns, Cardinals, Bucs, Ravens, Packers, Bills, etc.

Today's game was extremely sloppy. There were a lot of good, splash plays to make up for it, however, today's game is a cause for concern. We went up against a potential bottom 5 team in the league and struggled for a good bit of the game.

Prior to the injuries of Saquon and Danny Dimes, we were in serious trouble. Defense was allowing a lot of big plays and conversions, and offense made CONSTANT mistakes. Balls being batted down and caught for interceptions, fumbles, high or low snaps, dumb playcalls, poor pass blocking, dropping passes, etc. I know they are divison rivals, however, that is not an excuse. We should have DOMINATED from beginning to end. Even with Saquon and Daniel Jones in. With them in, I'm sure this game would've been a lot closer, which brings me to my next point. We did the same thing against the Panthers, and even the Eagles for about 3 minutes before we dominated. We honestly did better in the Tampa game than any other game despite losing.

Chargers game was given to us. I believe the refs really helped us out and took 2 TD's off the board (some of the calls were iffy). We were truly dominated in that game, but were lucky enough to win.

I just don't know if we are ready to be a contending team. To win the NFC East? Yeah. The conference? No. We have some tough games ahead (Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders, Cards way down, Vikings). Even NE with a smart Belichick is a big concern. We cannot come out sloppy against offensive powerhouse teams or well coached teams or we will LOSE. These sloppy starts minus the Chargers game have got to STOP. Mistakes like these come back to bite. I found myself digusted looking at the offense continously shoot itself in the foot today. We have the talent, so what's the problem?! The Center is a large looming issue going forward. The snaps and pass blocking need to be severely improved. Dak is playing well, but some of his mistakes need to be fixed. I think his mental game is a little off due to his injury last year and he does not want to admit this. I am not upset at this, I just hope he can overcome this aspect of the game.

Despite all of this, I see we have strong potential on all cylinders of the game, and we are talented in almost every position. It's just a matter of playing to our full potential, which seems easier said than done with this team. I just hope we can be firing on all cylinders come December and onward.

Go Cowboys.

I agree, the Cowboys did not play their best game against the Giants. They are without some key players on offense and defense - yet they still won. I have no doubt losing Barkley and Daniel Jones hurt them. And they do give up too many chunk plays still. They beat the teams in front of them and that is all you can ask them to do. No one had any sympathy for Dallas last year when they lost a bunch of players. btw, I think Barkley has Sean Lee syndrome. He is always getting hurt one way or the other.

I said before the game, during the game and I will say it again. The Cowboys defense is still a problem. I cannot put my finger on it because they do play hard, and they also make some big plays. But they give up a lot of easy yards and that should be a big concern going against better teams. But they will get DLaw back and Gallimore. I like what I see from Golston, but he is no where near as good as DLaw yet. I think DLaw does more damage against the Giants and prevents double teams on Gregory.

In the meantime, we are going to have to accept they will give up 20 to 30 points every game and they must score at least 30 to win. The good news is this offense can do that - and when Gallup and Collins get back they can be even better.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Today's game was extremely sloppy. There were a lot of good, splash plays to make up for it, however, today's game is a cause for concern. We went up against a potential bottom 5 team in the league and struggled for a good bit of the game.

Prior to the injuries of Saquon and Danny Dimes, we were in serious trouble. Defense was allowing a lot of big plays and conversions, and offense made CONSTANT mistakes. Balls being batted down and caught for interceptions, fumbles, high or low snaps, dumb playcalls, poor pass blocking, dropping passes, etc. I know they are divison rivals, however, that is not an excuse. We should have DOMINATED from beginning to end. Even with Saquon and Daniel Jones in. With them in, I'm sure this game would've been a lot closer, which brings me to my next point. We did the same thing against the Panthers, and even the Eagles for about 3 minutes before we dominated. We honestly did better in the Tampa game than any other game despite losing.

Chargers game was given to us. I believe the refs really helped us out and took 2 TD's off the board (some of the calls were iffy). We were truly dominated in that game, but were lucky enough to win.

I just don't know if we are ready to be a contending team. To win the NFC East? Yeah. The conference? No. We have some tough games ahead (Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders, Cards way down, Vikings). Even NE with a smart Belichick is a big concern. We cannot come out sloppy against offensive powerhouse teams or well coached teams or we will LOSE. These sloppy starts minus the Chargers game have got to STOP. Mistakes like these come back to bite. I found myself digusted looking at the offense continously shoot itself in the foot today. We have the talent, so what's the problem?! The Center is a large looming issue going forward. The snaps and pass blocking need to be severely improved. Dak is playing well, but some of his mistakes need to be fixed. I think his mental game is a little off due to his injury last year and he does not want to admit this. I am not upset at this, I just hope he can overcome this aspect of the game.

Despite all of this, I see we have strong potential on all cylinders of the game, and we are talented in almost every position. It's just a matter of playing to our full potential, which seems easier said than done with this team. I just hope we can be firing on all cylinders come December and onward.

Go Cowboys.

You're wrong as usual. What else is new?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
:hammer:
I said the exact same thing a couple of pages earlier.

but the OP was trying to trash and troll. he had no other goal in mind.

I notice how the OP will be in the game day threads and automatically will list a a game as a loss, if things aren't going our way or aren't going perfectly in the 1st quarter. I guess some fans just tend to have a negative or skeptical trait. I wonder what the OP will do if the Cowboys beat the Pats, since he seems to be putting so much emphasis on that game due to Belichick being the coach or will a win there not be good enough to the OP, if the Cowboys don't have the perfect game from start to finish?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I was keeping up with all the score of games yesterday and you had several close games at halftime even top teams vs poor teams and in the 2nd half those top teams in many cases ended up winning by larger margins. Cowboys got off to a sluggish start but honestly there was no time that I felt we were not going to win. Cowboys kicked it in gear 2nd half and kicked their butts. I think some just want perfection and that seldom happens. Good thing is there was enough sloppy play to keep this coaching staff on top of this team and as always you walk away knowing there are things you can improve on.
And that's the difference. It "feels" different than recent past where who the hell knows if we pull this off. Or, the offense is one dimensional, we're behind and we HAVE to pass like crazy.
To suggest we should be perfect is ignoring the dozens and dozens of variables.
This team is different. This staff is different. The defense is putting opposing players on stretchers. I'll never cheer for injuries, but you get my point. They're chippy and fighters. They're not getting taken advantage of because the next player on d will be right there to lay the wood. The O line is fighting for each other.
I'm not saying we'll get to the Superbowl, but there are very few teams I am afraid of losing to. We should be undefeated and that is insane to even say out loud.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
the run defense is good. the pass rush is good, despite not getting any sacks today, there was plenty of pressure. for some reason we tend to give up those big pass plays down field. that has to get cleaned up.and that's probably because Brown, Kearse, Kazee, Hooker, Diggs are playing together for the first time and still getting on same page. throw in Parsons, Neal, LVE, and that's all new back 7......
By design, when we get ahead the defense plays a soft zone or prevent allowing yards but not points. And if it works correctly, the opposing offense slits their own throat by killing the clock. That's what we have been seeing. In the past, teams would also run the score up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And that's the difference. It "feels" different than recent past where who the hell knows if we pull this off. Or, the offense is one dimensional, we're behind and we HAVE to pass like crazy.
To suggest we should be perfect is ignoring the dozens and dozens of variables.
This team is different. This staff is different. The defense is putting opposing players on stretchers. I'll never cheer for injuries, but you get my point. They're chippy and fighters. They're not getting taken advantage of because the next player on d will be right there to lay the wood. The O line is fighting for each other.
I'm not saying we'll get to the Superbowl, but there are very few teams I am afraid of losing to. We should be undefeated and that is insane to even say out loud.

I see both sides of the ball contributing, not 1 side of the ball having to carry the other. Defense has given up some plays, which defense in the NFL have not? I see this defense winning 3rd down battle at a good rate and we are creating turnover and that is not by luck. Offensively thus far the only team who has slowed down the Cowboys offense is the Cowboys and yet despite that they keep coming right back at you and can put up points in a hurry. I like what I see from this team, it is complimentary football where both sides are helping this team win games.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I see both sides of the ball contributing, not 1 side of the ball having to carry the other. Defense has given up some plays, which defense in the NFL have not? I see this defense winning 3rd down battle at a good rate and we are creating turnover and that is not by luck. Offensively thus far the only team who has slowed down the Cowboys offense is the Cowboys and yet despite that they keep coming right back at you and can put up points in a hurry. I like what I see from this team, it is complimentary football where both sides are helping this team win games.
It makes all the difference to have the other side holding their own. Even special teams is improving. Kicks are going in and we only punted once, but it was a bomb.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I happy with the results so far, but I'm hesitant to start mentioning "Super Bowl" contenders. We beat the Chargers, who look like a pretty good team. But we also beat the Eagles, Panthers and Giants at home. The Panthers are coming back to the middle of the pack, having been beaten by the (clearing throat) Eagles, and the Giants are a mess.

We'll see who we are as we play better teams.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I happy with the results so far, but I'm hesitant to start mentioning "Super Bowl" contenders. We beat the Chargers, who look like a pretty good team. But we also beat the Eagles, Panthers and Giants at home. The Panthers are coming back to the middle of the pack, having been beaten by the (clearing throat) Eagles, and the Giants are a mess.

We'll see who we are as we play better teams.

I'm not think SB right now either, way too early in the year for that but watching the Cowboys play and watching other top teams play, I think we are every bit as good as anyone in the league right now. I fully expect to have some rough games where we do not win, I could say the same about the rest of the league as well.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
OMG, you can't even allow yourself to enjoy a win. guess that's what 25 years of futility does to anyone's psyche.
first half we dominated. came down to two mistakes. the schultz drop in the endzone. the fumble inside the 10....that took 10 points off the board.

you have to win the ugly ones, if you are good. most of them won't be pretty start to finish. we came out second half and dominated them offensively and controlled them defensively until the late TD against prevent defense. if you have given up 13 points, with 7 minutes to go in the game...you are doing good.
This is the NFL and it only takes one or two bad official calls and before you know it you're in a dog fight because you took your foot off the pedal and half the team is on the sidelines with their pads off. I understand about wanting to get Diggs off the field before he has been manning up against most team's number 1, but you don't see a lot of other teams resting their young studs for an ENTIRE last quarter because they have a large lead on a team. Diggs should of played a series or two into the last quarter then pull him if you're sitting on a large lead. Ha-Haaaa, I'm not saying the Boys are that Atlanta team that was kicking our butt when all of a sudden they put it in cruise control and Dak lead them back to a victory. You do remember who the losing coach was that day, don't you????

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is the NFL and it only takes one or two bad official calls and before you know it you're in a dog fight because you took your foot off the pedal and half the team is on the sidelines with their pads off. I understand about wanting to get Diggs off the field before he has been manning up against most team's number 1, but you don't see a lot of other teams resting their young studs for an ENTIRE last quarter because they have a large lead on a team. Diggs should of played a series or two into the last quarter then pull him if you're sitting on a large lead. Ha-Haaaa, I'm not saying the Boys are that Atlanta team that was kicking our butt when all of a sudden they put it in cruise control and Dak lead them back to a victory. You do remember who the losing coach was that day, don't you????
you are up by 21 in the 4th...and diggs got dinged. so your defensive MVP is more important, having the long haul in mind than a game that you have in control. the fans on the other hand, want everything their way all the time, over scrutinizing every play, every play, ever series, every quarter, every half and every game. I am sure if it became too close or the game was rolling another way Diggs would have been back or kept playing. at that point of the game we were in total control.

and you don't play because you are worried about a bad call (fans seemingly do). and I find it funny you don't think we played to win and wanted to dominate. but we forget there is another NFL team on the other side. total domination is hard to come by. this is not NCAA football.

jnday

Reaction score

Go Cowboys.
They may not be received well , but you make some good points. Unfortunately, any comment that does not totally praise this team will earn you the “hater” label. It was a sloppy game and Dallas has several areas that they could improve. The bright side is that the season has a long way to go, so there is plenty of time to make adjustments to correct the concerns that you posted. I had rather see them peak in late December/early January than peaking too early.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I agree, the Cowboys did not play their best game against the Giants. They are without some key players on offense and defense - yet they still won. I have no doubt losing Barkley and Daniel Jones hurt them. And they do give up too many chunk plays still. They beat the teams in front of them and that is all you can ask them to do. No one had any sympathy for Dallas last year when they lost a bunch of players. btw, I think Barkley has Sean Lee syndrome. He is always getting hurt one way or the other.
:facepalm:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
you are up by 21 in the 4th...and diggs got dinged. so your defensive MVP is more important, having the long haul in mind than a game that you have in control. the fans on the other hand, want everything their way all the time, over scrutinizing every play, every play, ever series, every quarter, every half and every game. I am sure if it became too close or the game was rolling another way Diggs would have been back or kept playing. at that point of the game we were in total control.

and you don't play because you are worried about a bad call (fans seemingly do). and I find it funny you don't think we played to win and wanted to dominate. but we forget there is another NFL team on the other side. total domination is hard to come by. this is not NCAA football.
Really, so while Diggs has been standing on the sidelines cooling off and shutting it down for most of the 4th quarter, then all of a sudden the Boys are in a dog fight you would throw him back out there????? That's where hamstring and muscle injuries occur, now you have an athlete who going to be out weeks with an injury and probably wouldn't be the same for the rest of the year. You have your opinion and I have mine................

nobody

Reaction score
What is it with people rushing to post negative about the team after a win? Are their lives so pathetic that they can't stand seeing fans optimistic about the team? I get negative after the team shoots itself in the foot and loses, or even negative after the team loses a game in which they fight hard. But after a win? Come on. This isn't the playoffs and there's a lot of season left. It's a new DC and a bunch of young and new players. Give them a break. Give US a break. Enjoy the win.