This team drafted like a team that loves Dak, CeeDee and Zeke

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
For all of Jerry's love to Jonathon Brooks it appears Dallas never had any intention of drafting a RB and in fact had Zeke on the grounds as Jerry was telling the world we were taking Brooks.

Then in a draft where they could have found great value in many places they draft mauling OL and DL? Just completely making this team over as physical juggernaut that will beat you up. Skill guys on both sides of the ball were there all day and Dallas leaned into the physical.

I'm starting to wonder if this is what All-In actually means. The big bet on the skill guys in house and Zeke.

In many ways that is mind boggling because we tried that for about 4 years right?

But I was also watching the Dallas Mavericks vs the LA Clippers during round 2/3. And they have built around Luka a physical team that will play bully ball and literally fight you. And the team and Luka look different. Look like a 90s championship squad. So maybe, just maybe this will work where finesse and pretty 29PPG failed.

And if it fails it was all a 1-year gambit anyway. fire the coach and the QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For all of Jerry's love to Jonathon Brooks it appears Dallas never had any intention of drafting a RB and in fact had Zeke on the grounds as Jerry was telling the world we were taking Brooks.

Then in a draft where they could have found great value in many places they draft mauling OL and DL? Just completely making this team over as physical juggernaut that will beat you up. Skill guys on both sides of the ball were there all day and Dallas leaned into the physical.

I'm starting to wonder if this is what All-In actually means. The big bet on the skill guys in house and Zeke.

In many ways that is mind boggling because we tried that for about 4 years right?

But I was also watching the Dallas Mavericks vs the LA Clippers during round 2/3. And they have built around Luka a physical team that will play bully ball and literally fight you. And the team and Luka look different. Look like a 90s championship squad. So maybe, just maybe this will work where finesse and pretty 29PPG failed.

I’m of the belief this team is confident in their recent drafts and that’s how they plan to get better. It’s what they’ve always done. Not sure why people thought this offseason was any different then the last ones…they will sign some vets who end up being casualties if the draft.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I’m of the belief this team is confident in their recent drafts and that’s how they plan to get better. It’s what they’ve always done. Not sure why people thought this offseason was any different then the last ones…they will sign some vets who end up being casualties if the draft.
And im not sure what gives them the confidence. The Cowboys have actually been pretty bad after the first round, especially when it comes to defensive lineman and that goes all the way back to at least 2018 season

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And im not sure what gives them the confidence. The Cowboys have actually been pretty bad after the first round, especially when it comes to defensive lineman and that goes all the way back to at least 2018 season
They hit on Bland….thats all it takes for them lol…..

I don’t get their thinking or arrogance. This year they were more arrogant than normal.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score

Just to offer a polite counter perspective, perhaps the Cowboys were focused on Brooks at 56 but not necessarily the RB position. When that opportunity went bye-bye, they may have went back to playing the board and found what they believed to be better value/need at other positions. RB is still in play.

In terms of drafting mauling players per your description - sign me up. In general, I'd like see to more physicality on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Last year our goon when it came to mixing it up was Ferguson and to some extent Tyler B. (hate trying to spell his last name). Let's grab some guys that aren't afraid to get nasty. The perceived image of the Cowboys being fancy-pants prima donnas needs to cease. Besides, if this team really has been focusing on being physical the past few years, they have failed miserably.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The only difference is they usually have already signed those placeholders before the draft.
I assume they wait til the comp formula date then sign a slew.
Feels very risky but it also means it really is all in on the guys in house because that may be all you got.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Should they have drafted like they disliked them??? Not sure I am following.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just to offer a polite counter perspective, perhaps the Cowboys were focused on Brooks at 56 but not necessarily the RB position. When that opportunity went bye-bye, they may have went back to playing the board and found what they believed to be better value/need at other positions. RB is still in play.

In terms of drafting mauling players per your description - sign me up. In general, I'd like see to more physicality on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Last year our goon when it came to mixing it up was Ferguson and to some extent Tyler B. (hate trying to spell his last name). Let's grab some guys that aren't afraid to get nasty. The perceived image of the Cowboys being fancy-pants prima donnas needs to cease. Besides, if this team really has been focusing on being physical the past few years, they have failed miserably.
Certainly possible, but I listened(watched on youtube) to Stephen Jones on with the Fan and he basically said Brooks wasn't ready right now to play.
Would you say that a few hours before drafting a guy?
He said ACLs aren't career ending anymore and blah blah but the not ready thing was pretty much an indication we weren't drafting brooks at 56 BEFORE round 2 started.

blueblood70

Reaction score

First of all let's not compare us to basketball because if we were The Mavericks came out and got their butts kicked in game one ,they looked unprepared ,they looked uninspired, and they got blown out of the water... they were not physical they did not come to fight ohh but it's basketball, so there's a seven game series ,so losing a game like that fans kicking under the rug the same thing is happening with the stars right now they literally lost both their home games they're the number one team in the NHL and lost home ice.

I get what you're saying but please don't bring in some pathetic argument about The Mavericks because they didn't do this until after the middle of the season and brought in some guys with a little bit better defense and attitude it worked out, so far,​
but they got their butts handed to him in game one I'm not letting you not talk about that but in football you're one and done, you don't get a second chance ,so that's why you can't use that as a comparison. Ohh and you want to talk about championship droughts the fact that our other three teams here in DFW only have three total championships, that's it Jerry has three in the last 33 years the other three teams only have three and their entire existence....​

Now we can go back to football, first of all why are you all hyper focused on what all in meant have you not learned not to listen to anything Jerry or Stephen says in the media it's all posturing some of it might come from early onset dementia who knows it doesn't matter as long as he puts a good team on the field that can be competitive get us into the playoffs you always have a shot that's all I care about stop listening and reacting to the things being said words mean nothing actions mean everything in the next two weeks they will put together even more veteran free agents that they didn't get in the draft and maybe make a trade or two like they did last year and get guys like cooks and Gilmore and hankins they will go out and get those guys again it'll be different guys but they're gonna do this the way they've always done it and somehow it's a surprise to you all I mean why complain about it it's your fault for listening...!!

They will draft a running back, there's three pretty damn good running backs left and even if you get an undrafted free agent the odds are with this offensive line being rebuilt and it's bigger it's going to be better in the run game you can do running back by committee like a lot of the league does now so let's not act like they're not doing anything on purpose I think they will get one of the three guys and Notre Dame kid they got Alan still on the board that everybody here likes and then you have the kid from Kentucky that's three running backs that were on the draft big boards that should have already went they were rated high enough to go in the first four rounds they're still left and by the way do I got to remind you that the Kansas City Chiefs is using a seventh round running back the last two years in the Super bowl so don't act like it's over..

Lastly, zekes being brought in here as a role player it's going to be a cheap contract I don't know what it is he's not going to get all the starting reps he's going to be goal line short yardage he could share the ball and even if we rolled into the season right now I think using Rico more than we did last year along with using deuce Vaughn as a scat back a guy out of the backfield that can catch run around the edges like we used Tony his first two seasons we have the makings of a good running back by committee... But I don't think they're done they're not complacent I believe one of these three running backs still on the board they're hoping it's going to be there when they pick probably today...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Should they have drafted like they disliked them??? Not sure I am following.
Maybe it was hard to follow but I'd say if you weren't doubling down on those guys you draft like a team looking to replace them.
There was value to be had at RB and WR and they went DL then OL again.

JBS

Reaction score
Yeah bro. They fake loved brooks so much that they passed on him.

Oops

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
First of all let's not compare us to basketball because if we were The Mavericks came out and got their butts kicked in game one ,they looked unprepared ,they looked uninspired, and they got blown out of the water... they were not physical they did not come to fight ohh but it's basketball, so there's a seven game series ,so losing a game like that fans kicking under the rug the same thing is happening with the stars right now they literally lost both their home games they're the number one team in the NHL and lost home ice.

I get what you're saying but please don't bring in some pathetic argument about The Mavericks because they didn't do this until after the middle of the season and brought in some guys with a little bit better defense and attitude it worked out, so far,​
but they got their butts handed to him in game one I'm not letting you not talk about that but in football you're one and done, you don't get a second chance ,so that's why you can't use that as a comparison. Ohh and you want to talk about championship droughts the fact that our other three teams here in DFW only have three total championships, that's it Jerry has three in the last 33 years the other three teams only have three and their entire existence....​

Now we can go back to football, first of all why are you all hyper focused on what all in meant have you not learned not to listen to anything Jerry or Stephen says in the media it's all posturing some of it might come from early onset dementia who knows it doesn't matter as long as he puts a good team on the field that can be competitive get us into the playoffs you always have a shot that's all I care about stop listening and reacting to the things being said words mean nothing actions mean everything in the next two weeks they will put together even more veteran free agents that they didn't get in the draft and maybe make a trade or two like they did last year and get guys like cooks and Gilmore and hankins they will go out and get those guys again it'll be different guys but they're gonna do this the way they've always done it and somehow it's a surprise to you all I mean why complain about it it's your fault for listening...!!

They will draft a running back, there's three pretty damn good running backs left and even if you get an undrafted free agent the odds are with this offensive line being rebuilt and it's bigger it's going to be better in the run game you can do running back by committee like a lot of the league does now so let's not act like they're not doing anything on purpose I think they will get one of the three guys and Notre Dame kid they got Alan still on the board that everybody here likes and then you have the kid from Kentucky that's three running backs that were on the draft big boards that should have already went they were rated high enough to go in the first four rounds they're still left and by the way do I got to remind you that the Kansas City Chiefs is using a seventh round running back the last two years in the Super bowl so don't act like it's over..

Lastly, zekes being brought in here as a role player it's going to be a cheap contract I don't know what it is he's not going to get all the starting reps he's going to be goal line short yardage he could share the ball and even if we rolled into the season right now I think using Rico more than we did last year along with using deuce Vaughn as a scat back a guy out of the backfield that can catch run around the edges like we used Tony his first two seasons we have the makings of a good running back by committee... But I don't think they're done they're not complacent I believe one of these three running backs still on the board they're hoping it's going to be there when they pick probably today...
My man if you don't see what the Mavericks have done you aren't going to see anything.
Not really much else to say there.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
I'm not reading too much into these picks. They make sense, they weren't flashy skill positions but we need trench guys badly and thats what they went out and got.

Dak is still gone, I believe we are looking at a top 15 pick next year which may be used on a first round QB finally and then theirs Trey. I don't think these picks in any way say that we are keeping Dak past this season and frankly we may be in a position to trade CD and or Parsons depending on what happens this season.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Certainly possible, but I listened(watched on youtube) to Stephen Jones on with the Fan and he basically said Brooks wasn't ready right now to play.
Would you say that a few hours before drafting a guy?
He said ACLs aren't career ending anymore and blah blah but the not ready thing was pretty much an indication we weren't drafting brooks at 56 BEFORE round 2 started.
Hard to tell with draft smoke-screen talk and add in a touch of Jones and it makes reading the tea leaves just as difficult as trying to discern what Jerry's scribbling on those note pads when he should be paying attention.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Maybe it was hard to follow but I'd say if you weren't doubling down on those guys you draft like a team looking to replace them.
There was value to be had at RB and WR and they went DL then OL again.
Well skills players don't perform well with out the trenches being take care of. An OLineman does not need a good RB for him to be successful at his position. However, an RB is dependent on a good OLine.

That is why I am not excited yet about getting FA, drafting or Overshown coming back at LB. If we don't add some DT's, they are screwed and will still be making tackles 5 yards down the field.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My man if you don't see what the Mavericks have done you aren't going to see anything.
Not really much else to say there.
I'm a Mavericks fan dude I just watched the last game I get it they're playing better defense they didn't get those guys and that didn't start till like the last 15 games of the season but they got their butts handed to them do you not understand you can't compare basketball or the other sports that have a series to one and transport with the Super short season you just can't make a comparison what The Mavericks just literally got their butts kicked in game one if that was football it would have been over I'm saying they came just as unprepared and uninspired in game one is the Dallas Cowboys did in the Green Bay game that's what game one of The Mavericks look like are you saying you didn't watch that game they couldn't shoot they didn't play defense they didn't look like they had any energy... I mean you're not getting my point the other sports that have like 100 games and they have a five to seven game series it's much different then NFL you can't compare most any sport to the NFL because of its short physical season very long off season and one and done in the playoffs it's no comparison because if that was the same the stars in Mavericks would have already been out of the playoffs they did not show up in their first games..

That's all I'm saying you shouldn't have led with The Mavericks which just talk about the Cowboys I mean why do you need to bring the NBA into it it has nothing to do with football... I say let's discuss football on its own merit not comparing it to something that doesn't have anything to do with each other the sports are completely different.. I mean they got a second chance and yes The Mavericks turned it around but if they didn't get that second chance they'd be done the way they showed up it's the same unprepared uninspired thing we saw from our football team game one looked like trash for The Mavericks did you not watch that game you trying to forget that game??

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hard to tell with draft smoke-screen talk and add in a touch of Jones and it makes reading the tea leaves just as difficult as trying to discern what Jerry's scribbling on those note pads when he should be paying attention.
To be honest I didn't want brooks I'm a Longhorn fan and I know he's probably gonna be good or he couldn't even be great I didn't want any injury red flag players in this draft we needed guys that we can depend on day one that can start day one and there are three running backs that had 1st through third round grades that are still there do we not understand that Alan is still there the guy from Notre Dame I can't pronounce his name is still there and the guy from Kentucky all very good running backs plus rebuilding your offensive line makes it easier to run with a running back by committee we can roll with what we got right now and probably be pretty successful in the run game.. I know that's just my opinion but I mean if they're gonna use zeke for short yardage and goal line they're not gonna give him a lot of carries he's not going to truly be the starter even if they say it don't buy the lip service then we have Rico who I thought was underutilized and not used well last year that is in my opinion probably a little better then seek right now and then you have your third down or your scatback tight guy in Vaughn who was not used at all because he didn't have a role here he will have a role this year and then you got that Royce guy or whatever his name is that just was brought in you can put together a three man rotation I've seen it in the past and you can be successful in the run game but I don't think that's they're going to sit there and roll with this I think they're gonna pick one of these three guys...

Reaction score

Don't know about the premise of the thread title being true,,, but my hope is that they FINALLY figured out that getting your arse whipped in the trenches is a fatal flaw that guarantees an early loss in the playoffs. You build your team from the inside out, fix the trenches and THEN you fix the skill positions, otherwise you're not even getting a good assessment of the skill players.