CFZ This team has a totally new blueprint to win

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is a good point. We saw this in the second half against the bengals. The offense was unable to get anything much going in the second half which completely gassed the D.
I didn't like seeing Micah come up limping. My heart sank for a minute. I don't want to see anything worse than that happen, and if the defense has to play that hard, that long very often, it's going to.

75boyz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, if every game is like this, the defense is going to be worn out before the end of the season. The offense needs to spend some time on the field scoring TDs on long drives.

Exactly. This defense is good but still haven't reached that dominant level yet where they literally carry a squad like many of those defensive dominant Super Bowl teams did in the past.

They are still missing the run stopping element.

But yeah, hopefully Quinn can tighten up the run dee but in the mean time they need which ever bus driver running the offense to still make plays when opportunities present themselves and not be a 3 and out machine that doesn't allow the dee to rest.

And keep running the football.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I always say at the beginning of each new season that it takes 4-6 games- sometimes more- for a football team to develop an identity, to learn how to work together to get wins, etc. Opening day, most of us watch our favorite team and project the entire season on that. That’s short-sided.

Having said that, we’re only two games into this season but I already believe this is a totally different team than those of the recent past. How you ask? This is no longer an offense centered team. This team’s best talent is clearly on the defensive side of the ball. And that should change how this team approaches game plans. Micah Parsons is not only the best player on this team, he is the centerpiece of the team’s potential.

So…what does this mean moving forward?

• The Cowboys defense is the best hope we have to win. Maybe the offense can improve slowly as the season progresses. But early on this season, winning closer, low scoring games may have to be the blueprint.
  • The Cowboys should realize they will be in almost every game this year if it’s not a shoot-out. The bengals game score of 20-17 is probably a script for how this team can win right now.
  • Maybe by November the offense can catch up. But right now it’s the defense that must carry this team.
Thoughts?
I really hoped they would have started the season off with that plan. Run the ball and play stingy D. It took losing the starting QB to make it happen. Hopefully they will wake up and continue this strategy when #4 returns. Glad he wasn't hurt late in the season.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
It really seems like the game plan is different when Rush plays than it is with Dak. Frankly, the Rush plans seems to work better.

But they're paying Dak so they're going to put more on his shoulders. Personally, I'd rather do what works even if it means asking less of Dak.

Dak's contract is a sunk cost. Stop trying to justify it and do what gives your team the best chance to win games.
I was asking myself looking at the TV - how did we not have this gameplan coming out of last week?

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
It really seems like the game plan is different when Rush plays than it is with Dak. Frankly, the Rush plans seems to work better.

But they're paying Dak so they're going to put more on his shoulders. Personally, I'd rather do what works even if it means asking less of Dak.

Dak's contract is a sunk cost. Stop trying to justify it and do what gives your team the best chance to win games.
The less Dak has to do, the better our team will be.The Jones buffoons and KM must realize that, and gameplan accordingly,no matter how much Dak makes.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I always say at the beginning of each new season that it takes 4-6 games- sometimes more- for a football team to develop an identity, to learn how to work together to get wins, etc. Opening day, most of us watch our favorite team and project the entire season on that. That’s short-sided.

Having said that, we’re only two games into this season but I already believe this is a totally different team than those of the recent past. How you ask? This is no longer an offense centered team. This team’s best talent is clearly on the defensive side of the ball. And that should change how this team approaches game plans. Micah Parsons is not only the best player on this team, he is the centerpiece of the team’s potential.

• The Cowboys defense is the best hope we have to win. Maybe the offense can improve slowly as the season progresses. But early on this season, winning closer, low scoring games may have to be the blueprint.
  • The Cowboys should realize they will be in almost every game this year if it’s not a shoot-out. The bengals game score of 20-17 is probably a script for how this team can win right now.
  • Maybe by November the offense can catch up. But right now it’s the defense that must carry this team.
Thoughts?

The running game will help a lot.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if every game is like this, the defense is going to be worn out before the end of the season. The offense needs to spend some time on the field scoring TDs on long drives.
Key things , they need to sustain the drives and score some minimal points here and there, Unlike the bengals game, where the 1st 2 possessions resulted in TDs and a Later FG before HT , but nothing for almost 2 qtrs. Thats when def whithered down and allowed 8 point play to bengals.

Consistent running and Moore not to run away from that (pun intended) will help.

Praxit

Reaction score
..you said it, Bullet. The defense will give the team chance to win most games.

If OL holds up, Moore calls good game. Will get double digit wins.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

The only thing wrong with your logic is that you seem to indicate that they sling it more with Dak because of his contract. I completely disagree.. They sling it more with Dak because that's what both he and Kellen Moore want to do because rightly or wrongly they believe the passing game is superior to the running game. Even when the passing game is failing they continue to believe it. Look at Dak's pass attempts per game since Moore took over.. 37 per game in 2019.. 44.4 in 2020 then back to 37 a game in 2021. So basically Dak's attempts per game in 2021 were exactly the same in 2019 which was two years BEFORE he signed the contract. But in both years the OC was.... ? 2020 is the outlier because it was going to normalize as the season wore on and the defense started playing a little better. There was no way they were going to keep giving up 35 ppg.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm firmly in the 'show me what you are down the stretch' camp, but it is hard not to get excited after watching that defense these first two games. I can't recall seeing the defense play that inspired as a unit since the Jimmy days. That is very encouraging and I think it is harder for the opposition to get a bead on a great defense, than it is on a great offense as the season progresses.

I hope they don't give themselves a name like the all show, no go Hotboyz did. Keep playing like that and the cool nickname will come to them. Let's not even go there until December though.

Verdict

Reaction score

Thoughts?
That’s why I think we may trade for another dominant defender to take this defense to another level.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. This defense is good but still haven't reached that dominant level yet where they literally carry a squad like many of those defensive dominant Super Bowl teams did in the past.

They are still missing the run stopping element.

But yeah, hopefully Quinn can tighten up the run dee but in the mean time they need which ever bus driver running the offense to still make plays when opportunities present themselves and not be a 3 and out machine that doesn't allow the dee to rest.

And keep running the football.
Good points. I was surprised Cincy didn’t run the ball more. They had some success but I’m sure once they were down double digits it became harder to run the ball. That’s still a concern for this D. They still haven’t been able to consistently stop the run. If the team gets behind and the D can’t stop the run, we’re probably looking at a loss.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cowboys have a good punter too. Anger changes field position to make offense go the long way. As long as, the offense doesn't turn the ball over it should be ok.
Anger may be the second best player at his respective position, on this team. It's like I always tell my boss - Anger gets **** done!!!

Bagman

Reaction score

Excellent post.
I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately our egotistical owner demands we play a high flying style of football to justify the huge salaries he's paying . It also feeds into Jerry's ego that his way is the right way.

Zman5

Reaction score
Cowboys have a good punter too. Anger changes field position to make offense go the long way. As long as, the offense doesn't turn the ball over it should be ok.

We have a good ST overall this year with Turpin and Maher being better than last time he was here.