CFZ This team has done some good things. What it should do now to take the next step

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Close means a few players away.

You can fix zeke, dump him. You can sign a DT. You can continue to strengthen the oline. Get another passing weapon.
Right.

We also must try to keep up with the rest of our division improvements.

Good news is most of the great young Elite QB’s are in the AFC. SF and Phil appear to be only teams we need to catch up with currently .

But that could change. We will see who emerges this year. Hopefully no one else passes us as quickly as Phil did in one season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They were a legit contender.
I suppose we can argue being in final 8 is considered a legit contender. We are definitely a solid playoff contender. SB contender is a tougher argument.

I’d be more apt to argue that point if we had broken thru to final 4 before in recent years with this QB, HC or team.

And why I’d consider teams like SF, KC, Cinn and Buff to be more serious SB Contenders if that’s what you are referring to. Up until this year I prob would have added , GB, TB and LA to that list.

We’ll need more consistency making playoffs and at least a championship appearance for me to wage an argument we are a serious SB contender.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Right.

We also must try to keep up with the rest of our division improvements.

Good news is most of the great young Elite QB’s are in the AFC. SF and Phil appear to be only teams we need to catch up with currently .

But that could change. We will see who emerges this year. Hopefully no one else passes us as quickly as Phil did in one season.
Exactly. Good time to be in the NFC. Look at the cake walk Philly had. Giants then SF with qb injured in first Qtr.

rambo2

Reaction score
I suppose we can argue being in final 8 is considered a legit contender. We are definitely a solid playoff contender. SB contender is a tougher argument.

I’d be more apt to argue that point if we had broken thru to final 4 before in recent years with this QB, HC or team.

And why I’d consider teams like SF, KC, Cinn and Buff to be more serious SB Contenders if that’s what you are referring to. Up until this year I prob would have added , GB, TB and LA to that list.

We’ll need more consistency making playoffs and at least a championship appearance for me to wage an argument we are a serious SB contender.
Being in the final 8 and only losing a game by 1 score on the road and having 6. wins against playoff teams certainly makes you a contender. Throw in that they beat the Eagles who have an excellent chance at winning the whole thing.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good points Greg. But here’s a good reminder of what it means to be “close” and what to do about it:
  • Remember last year, the eagles finished 9-8, were a #7 seed, and a first round exit.
  • Their GM Howie Roseman felt if they got aggressive in the off-season and upgraded some spots on both sides of the ball, they could legitimately contend.
  • AND…They were aggressive while still maintaining draft picks. In the 2023 draft they have TWO first round picks, a 2nd, a 3rd and two 7th rounders. That’s six total pick’s including 4 in the top 100.
  • So saying the eagles sold their future away by being aggressive is not true. (I know you weren‘t saying that but our GM was last week)
Moral of the story- you don’t have to be in the NFC championship the year before to be “close” to contention. But you do have to really know what your team’s real weaknesses are and how to address them. THAT is where we fall short.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever any Cowboys fan may feel after another disappointing end to a season, this team has done some very good things in the last five years. Here’s a quick review of the positives:
  • Making the playoffs in back to back years for the first time in 15 years
  • Making the playoffs in 3 of the last 5 seasons, going 2-2.
  • Won a road playoff game for the first time in 30 seasons.
  • Drafts have improved the last 5 years, giving us 13 of our 22 starters from the last 5 drafts.
  • We improved our defense from the worst in team history to one of the best in the NFL in 2 years.
  • Hired a real NFL head coach. Whatever you think of Mike McCarthy, he’s way better than Jason Garrett who apparently can’t get a head coaching job at any level.
BUT…let’s also put this in context with some of this organization’s BAD habits and results the last three decades.
  • Since our last SB appearance in the 1995 season, the Cowboys have made the playoffs only 12 of the last 27 seasons (about 40%)
  • In the first 36 seasons of Cowboys football, the team won 31 playoff games. In the last 27, they have won 5.
  • Two of the team’s biggest division rivals have been to 5 Super Bowls with 4 different head coaches and 4 different QBs since the Cowboys last won a divisional playoff game.
  • Teams winning conference championships and SBs tend to be more aggressive these days.
So…what must this organization do NOW to take the next step to more seriously pursue a championship?
  • If this organization feel like it is CLOSE to a championship, it MUST be willing to to take some risks in Free Agency, and not act like the “future cap“ is their master. The draft alone is no longer enough.
  • We should pursue 2 impactful FAs at certain key positions where our weaknesses are clear. Such as interior DLinemen, OL, maybe WR.
  • Be more open to making impactful trades too.
  • Go for it now if you’re close. Makes zero sense not to!
Bottom Line: If this front office feels we’re really close to a championship they should GO FOR IT!!! Why wouldn’t you? If they don’t feel we are close, ok…then be conservative. If we keep doing what we’ve been doing, why are we going to get better results?

I honestly believe this off-season will determine if we make the playoffs for the third straight year or fall back to the old habits of making the playoffs 40% of the time.
A bash the team thread disguised as a compliment.

See the post within a post in red.

Whatever any Cowboys fan may feel after another disappointing end to a season, this team has done some very good things in the last five years. Here’s a quick review of the positives:
  • Drafts have improved the last 5 years, giving us 13 of our 22 starters from the last 5 drafts.
  • We improved our defense from the worst in team history to one of the best in the NFL in 2 years.
  • Hired a real NFL head coach. Whatever you think of Mike McCarthy, he’s way better than Jason Garrett who apparently can’t get a head coaching job at any level.
BUT…let’s also put this in context with some of this organization’s BAD habits and results the last three decades.
  • Since our last SB appearance in the 1995 season, the Cowboys have made the playoffs only 12 of the last 27 seasons (about 40%)
  • In the first 36 seasons of Cowboys football, the team won 31 playoff games. In the last 27, they have won 5.
  • Two of the team’s biggest division rivals have been to 5 Super Bowls with 4 different head coaches and 4 different QBs since the Cowboys last won a divisional playoff game.
  • Teams winning conference championships and SBs tend to be more aggressive these days.
So…what must this organization do NOW to take the next step to more seriously pursue a championship?
  • If this organization feel like it is CLOSE to a championship, it MUST be willing to to take some risks in Free Agency, and not act like the “future cap“ is their master. The draft alone is no longer enough.
  • We should pursue 2 impactful FAs at certain key positions where our weaknesses are clear. Such as interior DLinemen, OL, maybe WR.
Bottom Line: If this front office feels we’re really close to a championship they should GO FOR IT!!! Why wouldn’t you? If they don’t feel we are close, ok…then be conservative. If we keep doing what we’ve been doing, why are we going to get better results?

I honestly believe this off-season will determine if we make the playoffs for the third straight year or fall back to the old habits of making the playoffs 40% of the time.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
both of these are worse than it seems.
WC started in 1970 , so for 4 years cowboys had to win div with like 6 teams to get in playoffs.
Then WC was only 1 team per conference, as each had 3 divisions. So hard to get that one WC spot, but
1975 cowboys did get it and went to SB and lost to steelers.

Then they added more WC teams as time went forward, and now it is easier to win a div, as only 4 teams in it, and 4 div per conference.
and 3 WC teams per conf each season.

So much easier to be a WC team the past 27 years as opposed to the period before that.
Therefore dallas should have had more playoff appearances than the past cowboys , since it was much easier to make the playoffs.
Now days it is quite easy to get in as a WC.

Winning a WC game at home is easier than on the road, and Dallas has only won 1 of those in the 27 years.

So the fact that it is 31-5 in favor of the old cowboys, is pretty bad, Jones boys should be embarrassed by that.
Adding to that, all 5 wins are in the WC round are they not?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A bash the team thread disguised as a compliment.

See the post within a post in red.

Obviously, there are many parts of my OP that were my just opinion. But the majority of it are just facts. It’s your opinion that this was a “bash the team thread disguised as a compliment”, which literally made me laugh out loud.

Hey, your opinions are welcome here @xwalker. It’s just hilarious to me that even when I say something nice (and true) about the team, you are here to say “No actually you weren’t sincere enough or positive enough”… :D It just makes me laugh that in an opinion forum, You spend so much of your time chasing me around “correcting“ my opinions.

Tell where you disagree. I respect that. Bring it. Tell what you would do. You have some great views on here about how to make the team better. Offer it here. It just seems strange how much it seems to really bother you when a fan has opinions you don’t like. So offer your ideas as a counter. It just baffles me how a post like this so deeply ruffles your feathers.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Good points Greg. But here’s a good reminder of what it means to be “close” and what to do about it:
  • Remember last year, the eagles finished 9-8, were a #7 seed, and a first round exit.
  • Their GM Howie Roseman felt if they got aggressive in the off-season and upgraded some spots on both sides of the ball, they could legitimately contend.
  • AND…They were aggressive while still maintaining draft picks. In the 2023 draft they have TWO first round picks, a 2nd, a 3rd and two 7th rounders. That’s six total pick’s including 4 in the top 100.
  • So saying the eagles sold their future away by being aggressive is not true. (I know you weren‘t saying that but our GM was last week)
Moral of the story- you don’t have to be in the NFC championship the year before to be “close” to contention. But you do have to really know what your team’s real weaknesses are and how to address them. THAT is where we fall short.
the eagles also designed an offense specifically for hurts , which made him more of an asset than a detriment.
They also created the power QB sneak, which isnt really a sneak, they get it even if other team knows that is what your going to do.

Those 2 things and the added players, put them over the top.
  • GM Howie Roseman.........is 100 times better than GM Jerry lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
Close means a few players away.

You can fix zeke, dump him. You can sign a DT. You can continue to strengthen the oline. Get another passing weapon.
There’s no reason the players can’t be added to get them over the top, but they actually have to do it, and not worry so much about the 2026 cap. I’m not asking for a Rams situation, but don’t go relying on mid round picks to be studs immediately.

The more I think about it, it all comes down to QB play in January. If Dak is going to throw it to the other team, it may not matter who they add or don’t add.

He is capable, just has to be used correctly…a huge part of which is a solid run game….which was shot by the end of the last two seasons. They need to figure out why, fix it, and not be forced to rely on Daks arm to win playoff games.

And yep, dumping Zeke would be a nice start, but the powers that be don’t seem to agree. Things like that are what irritates me much more than losing games. Don’t even know your players names? Don’t know the opponents best players names? Embarrassing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously, there are many parts of my OP that were my just opinion. But the majority of it are just facts. It’s your opinion that this was a “bash the team thread disguised as a compliment”, which literally made me laugh out loud.

Hey, your opinions are welcome here @xwalker. It’s just hilarious to me that even when I say something nice (and true) about the team, you are here to say “No actually you weren’t sincere enough or positive enough”… :D It just makes me laugh that in an opinion forum, You spend so much of your time chasing me around “correcting“ my opinions.

Tell where you disagree. I respect that. Bring it. Tell what you would do. You have some great views on here about how to make the team better. Offer it here. It just seems strange how much it seems to really bother you when a fan has opinions you don’t like. So offer your ideas as a counter. It just baffles me how a post like this so deeply ruffles your feathers.
It's what I consider a trolling thread. i.e. Pandering to the haters.

Just my opinion...

DandyDon52

Reaction score

some people dont want to see anything negative said about " their team" lol
They avoid reality, and see thru rose colored glasses. when it comes to their team or certain players they like.
I think people adopt a team or players, and these become like a child to them. And no one likes people bashing their child even if it is true.

The Cowboys and jones boys deserve to be bashed , on a regular basis for their lack of success, esp in post season.
The eagles with roseman are making the cowboys and jones boys look like the 3 stooges.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There’s no reason the players can’t be added to get them over the top, but they actually have to do it, and not worry so much about the 2026 cap. I’m not asking for a Rams situation, but don’t go relying on mid round picks to be studs immediately.

The more I think about it, it all comes down to QB play in January. If Dak is going to throw it to the other team, it may not matter who they add or don’t add.

He is capable, just has to be used correctly…a huge part of which is a solid run game….which was shot by the end of the last two seasons. They need to figure out why, fix it, and not be forced to rely on Daks arm to win playoff games.

And yep, dumping Zeke would be a nice start, but the powers that be don’t seem to agree. Things like that are what irritates me much more than losing games. Don’t even know your players names? Don’t know the opponents best players names? Embarrassing.
The powers that be are a big problem lol
Jerry said he knows how to take risks, and has, but doesnt think he will this next season lol. That is a huge problem for him to
think that way right now.

Actually the time to do it was this past season, any good additions would have got them at least to champ game and maybe to the SB.
But no they added hilton who was cheap, and even that was too little too late, and they didnt use him enough. Peters was a help,
but he was old and therefore cheap, cheap being a key word here lol.

The run game is faulty because of blocking schemes which are not very good, I see this on other teams too.
Also knowing when to run and how much to run is a key which KM and MM dont seem to grasp. Have to wait and see if mike is any better.
But in playoffs is where you run into the better run defenses, so you have to know how and be really good to do good in playoffs.

Also it is a 2 way street, the run if good , can open up and help the pass game, and the pass game if good can open up and help the run game.
And depending on who your playing you can use either one to help the other one. It wont be the same each game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The powers that be are a big problem lol
Jerry said he knows how to take risks, and has, but doesnt think he will this next season lol. That is a huge problem for him to
think that way right now.

Actually the time to do it was this past season, any good additions would have got them at least to champ game and maybe to the SB.
But no they added hilton who was cheap, and even that was too little too late, and they didnt use him enough. Peters was a help,
but he was old and therefore cheap, cheap being a key word here lol.

The run game is faulty because of blocking schemes which are not very good, I see this on other teams too.
Also knowing when to run and how much to run is a key which KM and MM dont seem to grasp. Have to wait and see if mike is any better.
But in playoffs is where you run into the better run defenses, so you have to know how and be really good to do good in playoffs.

Also it is a 2 way street, the run if good , can open up and help the pass game, and the pass game if good can open up and help the run game.
And depending on who your playing you can use either one to help the other one. It wont be the same each game.
I think the kid is the main decision maker these days, and he is conservative to a serious fault.

Doesn’t want to be exposed for all to at he isn’t….which is qualified to be an NFL GM.

McClay is the actual GM, and may even actually suggest adding an impact FA or two, only to have the kid chime in with the idea that a mid round draft pick can do the same job for a fraction of the cost.

Secret sauce I think he called it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. Phil definitely passed many by. And not for all of the reasons Jethro stated.

Regardless the reasons they did our idiotic ownership has already admitted not a priority for us. it’s totally mind boggling. But it supports Jethros agenda further limiting our ability to be a serious SB contender.

We are basically all of the contender Jethro is truly concerned with. The rest isn’t a risk he’s willing to take. So, there’s really no reason to expect more.

I‘d also add that if not for previous serious contenders like GB,LA and TB being down, we probably wouldn’t have been near the top in NFC this year. It also helped Phil leap as far as they did. We‘ll see moving forward if Phil can maintain their current status in NFC but I’d suspect with prior contenders being down or thru we could be seeing a new emergence of contenders in NFC.

And pending how they emerge will dictate the Cowboys impact. 2022 was an excellent opportunity in NFC to emerge with recent powers down. And we basically were unable to make much progress, basically treading water even with a better defense. . Which leaves me thinking we could fall further behind next year as more teams like Phil make progress in draft ,make more aggressive moves in FA , or lands the next young stud at QB.

Jethros football priorities are not conducive to making the strides Phil made in one season . Our best hope is everyone else nose dives. Lol