This team reminds me of the 1975 team....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
IMO, there are many similarities between this team and the 1975 team that made it to the SB. That team had a retooled roster, as does this one. They were counting on many young players fill big holes, as does this years team. They were not expected to do much that year, and many didnt even pick them to make the playoffs. The same goes for this years team. Hopefully, we can produce the same results as that team. :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes there are some similarities... and exciting array of rookies being first and foremost. this is a great group. But the '75 team had one thing this doesn't. One of the true top QB's in the game in Roger. He was at his physical prime at that point and easily a top 5 QB with Stabler, Bradshaw, Griese and Tarkenton. Our QB position doesn't come close at this point.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
IMO, there are many similarities between this team and the 1975 team that made it to the SB. That team had a retooled roster, as does this one. They were counting on many young players fill big holes, as does this years team. They were not expected to do much that year, and many didnt even pick them to make the playoffs. The same goes for this years team. Hopefully, we can produce the same results as that team. :D

I agree with you about similarities between 1975 and this squad and let's hope the results after the year are similair as well.

Stupid question......here goes.....what does IMO stand for? I read it alot.....thanks.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Yes there are some similarities... and exciting array of rookies being first and foremost. this is a great group. But the '75 team had one thing this doesn't. One of the true top QB's in the game in Roger. He was at his physical prime at that point and easily a top 5 QB with Stabler, Bradshaw, Griese and Tarkenton. Our QB position doesn't come close at this point.

There you go again with your anti-Bledsoe agenda. :D ;)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
I agree with you about similarities between 1975 and this squad and let's hope the results after the year are similair as well.

Stupid question......here goes.....what does IMO stand for? I read it alot.....thanks.

IMO.."In my opinion"..

haha..yes..you will see that here rather regularly.

parcellswaterboy

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:

Thanks for asking the question.....I have always wanted to ask it but I was too chicken to do so. :D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Not a dumb question, at all.

I used to not know what WIAWRB stood for, imagine that. :confused:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Not a dumb question, at all.

I used to not know what WIAWRB stood for, imagine that. :confused:

UHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! enlighten us Sir Jukie....... :confused:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Also, that '75 team had a great defense that was a top three or better defense that year..they were the key to that run and shutdown teams in the playoffs to allow us to get there to the SB.

I don't see this defense being too great this year. Too many new-faces and too many people playing out of their natural positions in an untried scheme and too much reliance on an old, immoble QB that probably doesn't have enough speed at the WR positions to be effective.

I'd agree with the part about the Dirty Dozen reference, but those guys were coming to a very veteran team that ended up going 5-4 and almost were out of the playoffs at mid-season.

The defense was what really improved the team as the season went on as well as the effect the rookies had on special teams, were most of them made their impact.

Other than that..I'd say we aren't there as in '75. Just wishing we were is Ok, though.

:wink2:

parcellswaterboy

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Winicki Is A Weasel Rat Bastid. :D

:laugh2:

I am going to write "WIAWRB " 50 times.......so as not to ever forget it.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
Also, that '75 team had a great defense that was a top three or better defense that year..they were the key to that run and shutdown teams in the playoffs to allow us to get there to the SB.

I don't see this defense being too great this year. Too many new-faces and too many people playing out of their natural positions in an untried scheme and too much reliance on an old, immoble QB that probably doesn't have enough speed at the WR positions to be effective.

I'd agree with the part about the Dirty Dozen reference, but those guys were coming to a very veteran team that ended up going 5-4 and almost were out of the playoffs at mid-season.

The defense was what really improved the team as the season went on as well as the effect the rookies had on special teams, were most of them made their impact.

Other than that..I'd say we aren't there as in '75. Just wishing we were is Ok, though.

:wink2:

parcellswaterboy

I think another difference is that the '75 team came from a winning tradition...I'm sure there was some carry-over...

This team, while certainly with a seemingly talented rookie crop, has pretty much known nothing but losing for a LONG time.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I think another difference is that the '75 team came from a winning tradition...I'm sure there was some carry-over...

This team, while certainly with a seemingly talented rookie crop, has pretty much known nothing but losing for a LONG time.

The rookies that year were not playing as starters in key positions. Except for Golden Richards, who started a split end over Bobby Hayes who had retired and Doug Cosbie who emerged over the year as a TE, but he really didn't start until the next year.

The rest of the rookies as I remember were largely backups that spelled the vet starters at various times and most were gone from the team within a couple of years.

That was my recollection..we remember it the same, Juke.

parcellswaterboy