Those Chicken Little Moments

fivetwos

Reaction score
They have embraced softness with open arms.

I believe it started with Garrett and has been a main stay since. I remember watching him rest guys the last game because our playoff seed was locked up, watching him allow guys to go to Cabo on their week off before playoffs, not playing guys at all in the preseason. All these things lead to guys coming out flat and not ready.

Garrett started a culture and until all the coaches and players that became comfortable in that culture are gone things won't change.
I can't stand Garrett with a passion, but I don't know if I blame him for the culture. Jerry wanted an atmosphere where everyone is buddies with each other and the front office and players could interact that way. It's a mess of a situation that hasn't worked.

Winning a championship is difficult enough, but there's plenty of self inflicted things they also need to overcome in order to win that make it near impossible.

Notice Jerry didn't like it when Johnson or Parcells were here, because it was more about winning than being a celebrity and having fun....which are the only reasons Jerry is here.

If they ever do win, it'll be in spite of leadership, not because of it. That's pretty damn clear, yet some still lose their minds when people realize this and don't like it.

Forneymike

Reaction score
You know why they aren't physical enough?

Because they have embraced a soft culture with open arms.
That maybe true but it's not because they don't play starters in the pre-season. Come up with something else. Lots of good teams don't play starters in the pre-season.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Was it?

Maybe, oh well, that should have never been allowed.
If you think the CBA will allow any management to keep someone from doing what they want on their day off, you are delusional. Again, you wouldn't allow it in your job. Don't be hypocritical, these are grown men not pee wee football players like guys on this site want them to be. These men have families and have a right to spend time doing what they want to do with them on their day off. No team stops any player from doing what they want on their off time

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
If you think the CBA will allow any management to keep someone from doing what they want on their day off, you are delusional. Again, you wouldn't allow it in your job. Don't be hypocritical, these are grown men not pee wee football players like guys on this site want them to be. These men have families and have a right to spend time doing what they want to do with them on their day off. No team stops any player from doing what they want on their off time
lol I appreciate your input.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think if this were the regular season some of these guys would be dressed and ready to play. Tyron Smith for example. Does he really need be on the field for OTAs in May? I suspect he will not play in the preseason either. Is this smart? I have no idea how it turns out. I think protecting players too much may actually result in more injuries.

Even the military has altered basic training for new recruits to transition them to more physical activity to prevent injuries. What they are seeing is younger recruits today are not physically ready for basic training and this results in more injuries so they have developed a training regimen to first get recruits used to more physical activity before they lower the boom with the regular rigorous training. I can see where this may be the same as players who are babied in camp then have to play in real games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes it's true. Seeing all those players with injuries today brought back those Garrett Camp Cupcake cringe memories.

Wade Phillips was known for camp cupcake. It’s a wonder anyone got hurt during his tenure.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Cowboys suffer through an injury plagued 2022 season the sky will be falling. We won’t be able to afford key injuries this season.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think the issue at this point would be just the guys with chronic issues. If a Sean Lee type (T Smith) shows up hurt it's a potential problem because you know they are a huge injury risk and it's always something and things seem to drag on. If a guy who doesn't have a history of missing time shows up nicked up, it's no big deal IMO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of it can be soreness. Yes they work out and such, but add a different movement from their routine workouts then a few things can pop up. Even though the think they are training for everything.
I can see where some are concerned, and some aren't. I am not concerned, but it they linger on trough all the OTA's, then yeah, maybe.

Except...Tyron, he is a concern. He knows he has back issues, and should been training for that. Then this pops up in non contact non pads type walk throughs.
It's like when I was a teenager. Playing football, baseball, swimming, hiking, frisbee, riding my bike, etc, all year long, just about every day. Then the lake freezes and I go ice skating, and the next day feels like there are new muscles I never used before.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yes it's true. Seeing all those players with injuries today brought back those Garrett Camp Cupcake cringe memories. And I'm sure most of you felt the same way. Obviously it's way too early to get all worked up over practice in May. But I also find myself not wanting to get emotionally invested into this season just yet.

Can you relate?

I don't take anything out of OTAs. Extreme caution is the order of the day, and for good reason.

This isn't training camp. It's more about getting the new faces together with the old in May.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They should create a Chicken Little Zone for all the sky is falling threads that are started especially after losses.