Thoughts about Cowboy Loss today

Section446

Reaction score
One of the most disappointing players on defense has been Aldon Smith. Aside from a few 2 games this year he’s been terrible.
And to think, it was thought that there were teams interested in giving us draft picks for the guy around the deadline! Assuming that's true, how in the actual heck do you pass that up?!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this game doesn't prove to Jerry Jones that it takes a great defense to win, nothing will.

blueblood70

Reaction score
-Think many underestimated the Giants and their defense. They confused Dalton all day and forced him to hold onto the ball too long. This was an area in which Dalton struggled early on after he replaced Dak.

-OL really had a poor day. Couldn't protect Dalton and the run game just couldn't get going. Bright side is, with Leonard Williams big day, he is going to cost the Giants even more to resign in the off-season.

-The book on Andy Dalton with Cincy was that he wasn't a big game QB. We saw this today. His accuracy was all over the place, where the Giants had multiple chances to intercept some of his passes. Gutsy performance, but he needed to play better. I don't aspect him returning next season.

-Dalton Schultz has probably been the most consistent starter throughout the yr. He wasn't even guaranteed a roster spot this year and he finally has broken out. Depth at the position at the start of the yr looked very thin, now it is a strength.

-Outside of the opening and last drive prior to half, thought the defense played well. Strong against the run, were able to get off the field throughout the day. However, some real bonehead penalties, what was Lewis thinking with that headbutt?

-Although more self-induced, Cowboy Defense still was able to generate more defensive turnovers. Wilson just has those natural instincts, where he is always around the football.

-Was somewhat disappointed with the lack of pressure today against a OL who really has struggled, especially lately. Daniel Jones had a clean pocket to work with the majority of the day.

-Was impressed with Diggs and his long speed. Slaton is perhaps the fastest player on the Giants team, where Diggs appeared to be able to match his speed down the field.

-I just don't see enough from our secondary players to warrant a 2nd contract. Team can upgrade and at a much lower cost.

-MM should of used the challenge flag, but as we have seen, many of these calls don't get overturned even with clear evidence. They usually go to how it was called on the field. Thought we got a bad break on the fumble late in the game.

Although disappointing, this is what this franchise truly needed, secure a top 10 pick. They have a war chest of picks and they are going to need it as this defense needs a major overhaul.

Go Washington as I do not want to hear it from the Giant fans all off-season long.
agree with most of that but talking sideways when you write the OL was horrible then proceed to bang on dalton..umm hard to pass with no time and no run game..I get some passes weren't on target but weve seen that from dak as well..team loss new season with hopefully a majority of our actual starters playing most of the 16 games for 2021

Creeper

Reaction score
-Think many underestimated the Giants and their defense. They confused Dalton all day and forced him to hold onto the ball too long. This was an area in which Dalton struggled early on after he replaced Dak.

-OL really had a poor day. Couldn't protect Dalton and the run game just couldn't get going. Bright side is, with Leonard Williams big day, he is going to cost the Giants even more to resign in the off-season.

-The book on Andy Dalton with Cincy was that he wasn't a big game QB. We saw this today. His accuracy was all over the place, where the Giants had multiple chances to intercept some of his passes. Gutsy performance, but he needed to play better. I don't aspect him returning next season.

-Dalton Schultz has probably been the most consistent starter throughout the yr. He wasn't even guaranteed a roster spot this year and he finally has broken out. Depth at the position at the start of the yr looked very thin, now it is a strength.

-Outside of the opening and last drive prior to half, thought the defense played well. Strong against the run, were able to get off the field throughout the day. However, some real bonehead penalties, what was Lewis thinking with that headbutt?

-Although more self-induced, Cowboy Defense still was able to generate more defensive turnovers. Wilson just has those natural instincts, where he is always around the football.

-Was somewhat disappointed with the lack of pressure today against a OL who really has struggled, especially lately. Daniel Jones had a clean pocket to work with the majority of the day.

-Was impressed with Diggs and his long speed. Slaton is perhaps the fastest player on the Giants team, where Diggs appeared to be able to match his speed down the field.

-I just don't see enough from our secondary players to warrant a 2nd contract. Team can upgrade and at a much lower cost.

-MM should of used the challenge flag, but as we have seen, many of these calls don't get overturned even with clear evidence. They usually go to how it was called on the field. Thought we got a bad break on the fumble late in the game.

Although disappointing, this is what this franchise truly needed, secure a top 10 pick. They have a war chest of picks and they are going to need it as this defense needs a major overhaul.

Go Washington as I do not want to hear it from the Giant fans all off-season long.

- Like every other team in the NFC East, the Giants emphasize building the DL. I wish it was the Cowboys trading a 5th round pick for Leonard Williams, but the Cowboys emphasize Edge rushers over DTs and it shows. I was worried about Connor Williams, Steele and Knight going into this game. The Giants absolutely manhandled the Cowboys OL. The good news is, I think McGovern has shown he should ben competing with Williams for the LG spot next year. I think he wins. But they all need to get stronger.

-Dalton's problems in the first half set the tone for the game. You cannot give away 30 minutes of a 60 minute game and expect to win. I have no doubt if Dak was playing, the Cowboys win yesterday. But this game showed us why a mobile QB is so important in the NFL now.

- Schultz was a pleasant surprise, but I wish we could have found out what Blake Jarwin could do, especially in the red zone. Is he really the answer?

- This defense is horrible. They need help everywhere on the defense. The Cowboys got no pressure on Jones most of the day against a Giants OL that has not been great in pass protection. Jones had a lot of time and a clean pocket to throw. He still made some bad throws that helped the Cowboys. The Giants average 17 points a game. In two games the Cowboys gave up 57 points to them. No one should think this team's defense is even average. They are horrible and need a lot of help. 1/2 of play against the worst offense in the league is not an indication the defense has potential.

- I remember Lewis, Awuzie and Woods flashing a lot of potential in their rookie seasons too. I liked what I saw from Wilson but I am not convinced he is the answer. It is disappointing that Reggie Robinson could not crack this lineup despite all the injuries and poor play.

The Giants are not a good football team. They have a decent defense, but it all starts with their DL against the Cowboys OL. People say injuries are not an excuse. Of course it is an excuse. If backup players are not an excuse for losing then why are people complaining about team tanking by playing backups? The Giants and WFT are the two healthiest teams in the division. If the Cowboys and Eagles were as healthy as those two teams I can guarantee it would have been the Cowboys in 1st place and the Eagles in 2nd - or the other way around. I like what the WFT is doing to build their team, but they are not there yet and they need a QB. But that DL is going to be a problem for a long time. The same with the Giants. They are building an OL, and a DL that will be strong going forward. Both teams need a few players.

And let me throw this out there. If Evan Engram does drop all those passes and the Giants defenders didn't drop all those errant Dalton throws in the first half, what would the score have been?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree with Tank but Armstrong and Aldon could easily be replaced, neither guy should have been getting more playing time than Gregory
Gregory is the better pass rusher. He does not set the edge better then Armstrong or Smith. Stop getting excited flash plays. Armstrong and Smith do the dirty work. We have a solid 4 man rotation. That is the best part of the defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

was a great day yesterday. Finally put an end to the miserable win streak that saw us fall from the 3rd pick all the way to 10. We could be picking 20th today so I’m satisfied.

dalton sucks and he sucks even more in big games. The handful of goofs that wanted dalton over dak have never looked so ridiculous after the qb horror show that dalton displayed in a win or go home game.

quickccc

Reaction score

- Holding the ball is one of Dalton’s flaws that he was already doing so. That’s what gets him in trouble the most, the best option is if he cannot see and find his targets (another flaw of his)
is he either takes off running and scrambling upfield for plus yards,.. or he gets out of the pocket to throw the ball away or throw on the move where just his receiver can get the ball.
Dalton is a backup. He's Colt McCoy, Kitna like , imo , we cannot think he’s gonna be any different but I’d be sure to re-sign him as a primary backup.

- What I continue to say with this offense is Moore limits it with his under-utilized usage of the RBs. If we are not getting the rush yards, then you have to resort to using the other skills of
your RBs in the pass game which could be screens, quick swing/flair passes, wheel routes, misdirection plays, etc.
But Kellen is just limited in that area. When it comes to the WRs- TEs in the pass game, he’s on, ..but otherwise.

- Also how many deep shots did we take on Giants deep patrol – another Kellen flaw ? Does he go conservative on the road vs much more aggressive at home ?
I thought we played a more dink and dunk game – but was that to protect and prevent game for Dalton.

- I’m still seeing Steele totally whiffing blocks as one of Williams sacks was completely untouched from his side. I can’t wait to put him at the back of the OL depth chart.

- I think long speed will never be a strength with Diggs, but it’s an increasing knack and feel for the CB position, and his improving footwork, technique and positioning and how the
coaches apply proper scheme that best fits for his skill set.
Let him play a couple of yards off line where he can best keep his man in front of him. Don’t try to keep playing him like Lester Hayes and expect him to lock hip to hip 60 yrds sprint downfield.

- I keep hearing about how limit athletically Donovan Wilson is, and how he can be out of position at times, but he keeps making plays. He is a ball hawk that has a knack for turnovers and
blitzing for sacks. He has made more plays in just a handful of starting games than what Xavier W. has had in his entire starting career here.

- Giants challenged rookie Diggs, but they did not challenge Awuzie who many believe is the lesser player? of the two. Typical Garrett

- Frightening is I think McCarthy’s game managing decisions is Not any better Garrett’s.
Ironic as MM had no problem challenging Dez’s end zone catch but was hesitate on the trap pass vs Giants.
o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
Gregory is the better pass rusher. He does not set the edge better then Armstrong or Smith. Stop getting excited flash plays. Armstrong and Smith do the dirty work. We have a solid 4 man rotation. That is the best part of the defense.

what do you think gets you the big dollar contract come free agency time ?... Flashy plays or dirty work ?
Armstrong has never impact and changed the course or momentum of the game. He's JAG.

quickccc

Reaction score
Aldon Smith is a Jerry feel good headline story.

He found him himself.

5 years 60 million sounds about right, even though we last heard from the dude in week 3/4.

Go Jerry!!

We would be utterly stupid to give Aldon that kind of money.
Why on earth would you even dare dish out that kind of ridiculous money for a disappearance act ? :confused:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
what do you think gets you the big dollar contract come free agency time ?... Flashy plays or dirty work ?
Armstrong has never impact and changed the course or momentum of the game. He's JAG.
He is 4th round pick that is a rotational and special teams player. Just caused a fumble in 49ers game and made some plays against the Giants. Makes peanuts for his salary. Do you fools know how hard it is to make an NFL roster. Armstrong is a good player who does the dirty work.

quickccc

Reaction score
He is 4th round pick that is a rotational and special teams player. Just caused a fumble in 49ers game and made some plays against the Giants. Makes peanuts for his salary.
Do you fools know how hard it is to make an NFL roster. Armstrong is a good player who does the dirty work.

Rotation guys who do' dirty work " are a dime a dozen,. it's many JAGs that are found, signed; to bring in to be a "fillers" to make a roster.
They are limited role guys, they are relief-breathers, they are design a role to give the front runners a break.
But they are not difference makers. Coaches, and OL guys don't fear those guys and you won't find them being doubled team.

And actually Armstrong wasn't drafted with the thought and hope that he'd be a rotational guy. Team really thought he'd eventually be a special edge rusher
and reports were they even considered moving up a round earlier to draft him in the 3rd.
Despite his poor workout pre-draft numbers, and poor sack productive in his last college year at Kansas, they were really high on him and thought he'd
really be a bigger piece and growing impact player in due time. That just never happened;

What I still trip out on is while I was hearing rave reports on rookie DE Bradley Anae's impressive training camp, I was also hearing utter nada at all on Armstrong's camp.
Some players end up playing bigger, better and perform higher than what their pre-draft workout numbers suggest - that apparently doesn't hold true for Armstrong.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Come on guy he was a 4th round pick. No one thought he was going to be Randy Gregory let alone Robert Quinn. He will get a second contract somewhere and we will get a comp pick for him. Next to Tank he is our most reliable defensive end. Aldon and Randy have to earn it.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Come on guy he was a 4th round pick. No one thought he was going to be Randy Gregory let alone Robert Quinn. He will get a second contract somewhere and we will get a comp pick for him. Next to Tank he is our most reliable defensive end. Aldon and Randy have to earn it.
He’s just a dime a dozen. If we need a rotational guy let’s get one on another rookie contract. Our run defense is one of the worst in the league, so he’s not making the impact you’re suggesting

fivetwos

Reaction score
- Like every other team in the NFC East, the Giants emphasize building the DL. I wish it was the Cowboys trading a 5th round pick for Leonard Williams, but the Cowboys emphasize Edge rushers over DTs and it shows. I was worried about Connor Williams, Steele and Knight going into this game. The Giants absolutely manhandled the Cowboys OL. The good news is, I think McGovern has shown he should ben competing with Williams for the LG spot next year. I think he wins. But they all need to get stronger.

-Dalton's problems in the first half set the tone for the game. You cannot give away 30 minutes of a 60 minute game and expect to win. I have no doubt if Dak was playing, the Cowboys win yesterday. But this game showed us why a mobile QB is so important in the NFL now.

- Schultz was a pleasant surprise, but I wish we could have found out what Blake Jarwin could do, especially in the red zone. Is he really the answer?

- This defense is horrible. They need help everywhere on the defense. The Cowboys got no pressure on Jones most of the day against a Giants OL that has not been great in pass protection. Jones had a lot of time and a clean pocket to throw. He still made some bad throws that helped the Cowboys. The Giants average 17 points a game. In two games the Cowboys gave up 57 points to them. No one should think this team's defense is even average. They are horrible and need a lot of help. 1/2 of play against the worst offense in the league is not an indication the defense has potential.

- I remember Lewis, Awuzie and Woods flashing a lot of potential in their rookie seasons too. I liked what I saw from Wilson but I am not convinced he is the answer. It is disappointing that Reggie Robinson could not crack this lineup despite all the injuries and poor play.

The Giants are not a good football team. They have a decent defense, but it all starts with their DL against the Cowboys OL. People say injuries are not an excuse. Of course it is an excuse. If backup players are not an excuse for losing then why are people complaining about team tanking by playing backups? The Giants and WFT are the two healthiest teams in the division. If the Cowboys and Eagles were as healthy as those two teams I can guarantee it would have been the Cowboys in 1st place and the Eagles in 2nd - or the other way around. I like what the WFT is doing to build their team, but they are not there yet and they need a QB. But that DL is going to be a problem for a long time. The same with the Giants. They are building an OL, and a DL that will be strong going forward. Both teams need a few players.

And let me throw this out there. If Evan Engram does drop all those passes and the Giants defenders didn't drop all those errant Dalton throws in the first half, what would the score have been?
Not to nitpick at you but the price for Williams was a 3rd and a 4th, and it was considered a serious head scratcher.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Also how many deep shots did we take on Giants deep patrol – another Kellen flaw ? Does he go conservative on the road vs much more aggressive at home ?
I thought we played a more dink and dunk game – but was that to protect and prevent game for Dalton.

Watching the Giant Defense this yr, they like to play zone and keep everything in front of them. Haven't seen many teams beat them over the top. Still need to take your shots, where I do even remember one yesterday.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Much rather see what we have in Anae then seeing Armstrong playing so many reps with little production.

Creeper

Reaction score
Not to nitpick at you but the price for Williams was a 3rd and a 4th, and it was considered a serious head scratcher.

You are right. I was a 3rd in 200 and a 5th or 4th in 2021.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He’s just a dime a dozen. If we need a rotational guy let’s get one on another rookie contract. Our run defense is one of the worst in the league, so he’s not making the impact you’re suggesting
Run defense is bad because of the tackles and middle linebackers. Do you watch the games?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Run defense is bad because of the tackles and middle linebackers. Do you watch the games?
Are you suggesting our DEs played well despite the fact that this has been statistically the worst defense in Dallas Cowboy history? Yeah Lawrence played well AT TIMES, as did Gregory. Armstrong, idk dude, lol.