CFZ Thoughts about the Detroit Lions!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good post......just me, but if we lose this game or it's razor close, that's on the coaches. They have to make sure players are just as focused as if they were playing the Rams or Eagles.
The Lions can beat us if we don't play a strong, clean game. What they need to do is punch them in the mouth early and force them to throw the football.

quickccc

Reaction score
Offense

-Very important that Dak doesn't come out flat as this defense is one of the worst in the league

-Hutchinson is the edge player to key on, the Lions will use him all over the line looking for the best matchups.

-Brockers who have given the Cowboys offense problems in the past playing for the Rams is the interior guy who can make some plays.

-Linebackers are pretty solid, especially against the run. However, some teams have had some success.

-Secondary outside of Okuda is very poor. This could potentially be a great game for Dak to get the offense going.

Defense

-Much harder then many realize, one of the best scoring offenses in the league.

-Have a legitimate run game, especially with Swift coming back this week. Cowboy run defense needs to play much better this week or they could potentially be in trouble.

-Their OL is one of the better units throughout the league and don't give up many sacks.

-St Brown and their TE Hockenson are their two best weapons in the passing game. Kearse will need to play another strong game against the TE. They move St Brown all over, so our secondary must be up to the task.

-Kind of like last week, in which they failed, must put the game on Goff's arm, not their run game.

Detroit has only 1 win but they have been in every game except against NE. They had 2 weeks to study the Cowboys and are looking to rebound from their last poor performance.

Our coaches need to help ‘ease’ Dak get back into form.
but don’t throw him to the wolves, after weeks from being out, and trying to instantly get him back to form by going to a pass happy frenzy.
– but I’m really worried and think Kellen is that type.

- Also worried if Dak will greedily audible out off run plays and get pass happy himself.
I’d still prefer to lead with the run game, heavily emphasize the run game, that “ continues” involve both ZKE & Pollard.
That allows more room and openings for ‘play-action’., it opens up more in pass game, it puts our OL in brute-physical mode, and helps keep our
defense fresher

- How has Michael Brockers gave us problems ? He’s a run stopper- and an overrated one that, imo.
He’s never been an elite All pro, pro bowl run defender. He’s never been a Snack Harrison.
Suh has given us more problems than Brocker has.

- Lions defense has not been good, but if they’re capable of running the ball successfully on us, ..that so mightily helps their QB Goff and play action.
It also sustains their drives and keeps our offenses and touches limited.

- This “should’ be a CeeDee Lamb game. Lions may match their best CB, Okuda vs Lamb, but Lamb has to win this contests

- I’ve concerned that we’re only 3 WR deep. And Gallup tends to get dinged, Will our TEs be more factor in pass game ?

- Be interested with Tyler or Steele vs Hutchison, pending how they line/move Hutchison. Don’t want McGovern vs Hutchison matchup

fivetwos

Reaction score
Offense

-Very important that Dak doesn't come out flat as this defense is one of the worst in the league

-Hutchinson is the edge player to key on, the Lions will use him all over the line looking for the best matchups.

-Brockers who have given the Cowboys offense problems in the past playing for the Rams is the interior guy who can make some plays.

-Linebackers are pretty solid, especially against the run. However, some teams have had some success.

-Secondary outside of Okuda is very poor. This could potentially be a great game for Dak to get the offense going.

Defense

-Much harder then many realize, one of the best scoring offenses in the league.

-Have a legitimate run game, especially with Swift coming back this week. Cowboy run defense needs to play much better this week or they could potentially be in trouble.

-Their OL is one of the better units throughout the league and don't give up many sacks.

-St Brown and their TE Hockenson are their two best weapons in the passing game. Kearse will need to play another strong game against the TE. They move St Brown all over, so our secondary must be up to the task.

-Kind of like last week, in which they failed, must put the game on Goff's arm, not their run game.

Detroit has only 1 win but they have been in every game except against NE. They had 2 weeks to study the Cowboys and are looking to rebound from their last poor performance.
I’m very concerned about falling behind early in this one. Detroit can score. No doubt.

Then it takes Dak a while to shake off the rust and the next thing you know we lose like 31-27.

The coaches need to make it a priority to not have us take this for granted or come out flat. There’s no room for complacency. We’ve done that way too many times.

Come out hungry and stomp a worse team at home.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dak couldn't ask for a better welcome-back game than this one. Softest secondary in the league.

As far as defense goes, we match up very well with those guys.

Jared Goff is a guy who does well within structure - I loved it when The Ringer QB rankings page described him as "born to rock the **** out of a pro day." But he is a slow processor who crumbles under pressure, and he might be the most avoidant QB in the league when it comes to throwing deep.

Detroit adapted the Sean McVay style Goffense to hide him: use plenty of rushing to keep him in manageable, neutral situations, and call lots of bootlegs and crossers to set up intermediate throws where his touch really shines. But Belichick basically called their bluff last week, hitting him with nonstop blitzes and playing robber zone to take away the middle routes. And he absolutely shut Goff down.

Dallas can bring pass rush for days, and our DBs hawk the crap out of balls, so if Quinn cheats his coverage up, Goff will be screwed. He will not punish our blitz and he will make mistakes when he's forced to think fast.

The only wild card is TJ Hockenson, a guy who was touted as a Gronk level talent coming out of college, but never got featured in the passing game because since when have any of those 1st round move TEs ever been featured in passing games. They underachieve like every time. Anyway, Hock blew the doors off of Seattle with an 8/179/2 line and has the talent to be a problem for any defense if he can get going.

Carson

Reaction score
I’m very concerned about falling behind early in this one. Detroit can score. No doubt.

Then it takes Dak a while to shake off the rust and the next thing you know we lose like 31-27.

The coaches need to make it a priority to not have us take this for granted or come out flat. There’s no room for complacency. We’ve done that way too many times.

It looks like Chark and Reynolds’s DNP again at practice. If they are out, you put Diggs on St.Brown, Kearse on Hockenson and sell out to stop Swift

Cowboyny

Reaction score

As long as Moore doesn't call 40 plus passes, stay balanced and we should give Dak easy passes to knock off the rust.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Our coaches need to help ‘ease’ Dak get back into form.
but don’t throw him to the wolves, after weeks from being out, and trying to instantly get him back to form by going to a pass happy frenzy.
– but I’m really worried and think Kellen is that type.

- Also worried if Dak will greedily audible out off run plays and get pass happy himself.
I’d still prefer to lead with the run game, heavily emphasize the run game, that “ continues” involve both ZKE & Pollard.
That allows more room and openings for ‘play-action’., it opens up more in pass game, it puts our OL in brute-physical mode, and helps keep our
defense fresher

- How has Michael Brockers gave us problems ? He’s a run stopper- and an overrated one that, imo.
He’s never been an elite All pro, pro bowl run defender. He’s never been a Snack Harrison.
Suh has given us more problems than Brocker has.

- Lions defense has not been good, but if they’re capable of running the ball successfully on us, ..that so mightily helps their QB Goff and play action.
It also sustains their drives and keeps our offenses and touches limited.

- This “should’ be a CeeDee Lamb game. Lions may match their best CB, Okuda vs Lamb, but Lamb has to win this contests

- I’ve concerned that we’re only 3 WR deep. And Gallup tends to get dinged, Will our TEs be more factor in pass game ?

- Be interested with Tyler or Steele vs Hutchison, pending how they line/move Hutchison. Don’t want McGovern vs Hutchison matchup
-Must continue calling a balanced attack even with Dak. Running the football, will open the passing game and allow Dak some easy throws via playaction.
-Brockers has had some strong games against us in the past, both against the run and even the pass.
-Okuda has struggled early in his career, having a better yr, but still very beatable, Lamb needs to have success.

fivetwos

Reaction score
As long as Moore doesn't call 40 plus passes, stay balanced and we should give Dak easy passes to knock off the rust.
Agreed, but it’s tough to trust that overall, much less so if they fall behind early.

Don’t listen to me, rarely do I not worry and figure we’ve got one. Last time was Denver last year.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I have seen the Loins play twice, they have some players but can't seem to close games out.

They also are getting their RB back for this game. Dallas should win, but I hope people don't think it will be a big blowout.

Carson

Reaction score
I have seen the Loins play twice, they have some players but can't seem to close games out.

They also are getting their RB back for this game. Dallas should win, but I hope people don't think it will be a big blowout.
They get Swift back, but looks possible Chark and Reynolds’s remain out.

Motorola

Reaction score
Dan Campbell is a coach players like to play for. After their shut out loss in their last game I think he will have the lions fired up.

The lions have a very good offense that runs the ball well and a decent passing game. Goff is not that mobile so our pass rush will certainly be a big factor.

I expect the Cowboys to win but also expect this to be a tough slog. They are better than most one win teams. Our offense is still sluggish and Dak will probably be rusty. I’m expecting something like a 21-16 win.
Only four 1-win teams in the league at this juncture.
The other three have suffered close losses just like the Lions...who gave up 38 to the Eagles and 45 to the Seahawks.
Texans, Raiders, and Panthers have been in every game save one - SF over CAR 37-15.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dak couldn't ask for a better welcome-back game than this one. Softest secondary in the league.

As far as defense goes, we match up very well with those guys.

Jared Goff is a guy who does well within structure - I loved it when The Ringer QB rankings page described him as "born to rock the **** out of a pro day." But he is a slow processor who crumbles under pressure, and he might be the most avoidant QB in the league when it comes to throwing deep.

Detroit adapted the Sean McVay style Goffense to hide him: use plenty of rushing to keep him in manageable, neutral situations, and call lots of bootlegs and crossers to set up intermediate throws where his touch really shines. But Belichick basically called their bluff last week, hitting him with nonstop blitzes and playing robber zone to take away the middle routes. And he absolutely shut Goff down.

Dallas can bring pass rush for days, and our DBs hawk the crap out of balls, so if Quinn cheats his coverage up, Goff will be screwed. He will not punish our blitz and he will make mistakes when he's forced to think fast.

The only wild card is TJ Hockenson, a guy who was touted as a Gronk level talent coming out of college, but never got featured in the passing game because since when have any of those 1st round move TEs ever been featured in passing games. They underachieve like every time. Anyway, Hock blew the doors off of Seattle with an 8/179/2 line and has the talent to be a problem for any defense if he can get going.

Not sure I agree about the defensive matchup.

Their run game averages 5+ yards per carry and our weakness is run D. If Swift is back he’s also dynamic with short passes and screens.

If I was them I’d try to keep the game close and milk out 30+ runs.

If they get down by 13+ game over.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lol!
My biggest complaint about the 3 and out is the lack of creativity.

It’s always Zeke up the gut for 2. Roll out pass for an incomplete / holding. Incomplete on 3rd and then punt
I think that’s the root of the problem.

Moore thinks “creativity” means quadruple reverses, when it really ought to be about outscheming your opponent.