Thoughts from a TO hater...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
He's ours now, and I feel nauseous... I won't back down from anything I said previously, I'll never root for the SOB...

HOWEVER... I do feel somewhat better about some things connected to this mess, and thought I'd elaborate:

1) The Cowboys' newsgroup has been just inundated with trolls flocking over there, looking to stir the fecal matter... they obviously do this in the hopes of making us Cowboys fans who don't like Owens even more depressed, even more angry... that's like when they flock in after a loss, acting like morons... ironically, their trolling has the exact OPPOSITE effect on me; it helps me get over being angry at a loss, when I get back in their faces and give vent to some of my frustrations... and in this instance, it makes me feel a little less depressed and angry, because it's crystal clear that they're trolling because they're scared witless at the thought of TO in a Cowboys uniform, and the smell of their fear always makes me smile... anything that gets the trolls this worked up can't be all bad...

2) I was deeply worried about the possibility (actually, the likelihood) that TO would become a cancer, and wreck this team, both in the short term and in the long term... but once I got a good look at that contract, a LOT of these fears were allayed... that contract is positively ingenious, perhaps even brilliant...

For Owens, he gets to pocket a hefty paycheck each year of the deal... in a "normal" contract, the player pockets a large signing bonus the first year, but in future years, he just gets his base salary... this is why TO was upset about his contract last year, "all" he was getting was his base salary (and how could he feed his family on such a paltry sum, LOL)... but in this deal, he gets a bonus every year, meaning he'll pocket at least 7-8 million in each year of his deal... this should make him less likely to be a PITA over money down the line, he's gonna get paid every year...

For the Cowboys, structuring the contract that way means they can part company with TO at any time if he does cause more problems than he's worth, with minimal damage to the salary cap (if they cut him year 2 or 3 before they pay him the bonus due those years, they'll be on the hook for a little over a 3 million cap charge, hardly a major blow when the cap will be up close to 110 mil by then)...

So now, my biggest fear is that he'll cause problems when (not if) he doesn't get the ball thrown to him as often as he wants... for openers, the Boys won't throw the ball as often as the Iggles did, reducing the number of opportunities for him to catch passes... last year, the Iggles threw the ball 620 times, the Cowboys threw it an even 500 times... Parcells will throw the ball a bit more, obviously, with Owens in the lineup, but he's still gonna be a run-first coach... I'd anticipate Bill throwing the ball about 550 times this year...

In addition, TO has better receivers around him on the Cowboys than he did on the Iggles-- Glenn and Crayton are better than any WR Philly had last year, and Jason Witten is a somewhat better TE option (though the Iggles' TEs aren't bad)... so clearly, they're gonna be open more often, and Bledsoe is gonna throw the ball their way more often... this also translates into fewer opportunities for Owens... anybody expecting 90-100 catches from TO is being silly, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't catch 75 passes... but I would be surprised if he doesn't give the Boys 1000 yards receiving and 10TDs... I still worry that this won't satisfy him, and that there will be blowups on the sidelines and in the press...

But those kinds of blowups don't have to destroy a team... you can still win with that kind of silliness going on...

So I'm not gonna turn into some TO fan, not at any point... I'd gag on my own hypocrisy if I tried... but now that he IS ours, it would be silly of me not to recognize reality, and contemplate what his presence will mean to the offense on the field... what it means to me is 1) Terry Glenn won't be gettin' double covered, not most of the time anyway, and this should help his numbers... and 2) opponents will not be able to stack the line of scrimmage to shut down the run, they'll have to respect the threat TO brings, and this will help Julius Jones' and Marion Barber's numbers (almost as much as a better offensive line will)...

It just might be that Jason Witten will see an uptick in his numbers too, now that Keyshawn is gone... Key was a primary target on 3rd and 3 or 4, and so was Witten, but now Witten will get more of those looks... Owens offers some threat in that short passing game, but not as much as Key did... his superiority came in his downfield abilities...

Finally, I'll say that I was singularly unimpressed with TO at that press conference, he seemed totally insincere, with one exception-- the time he told Jerry "I won't let you down"... now, that's obviously a self-serving remark, and of course if things ever do break down between the team and the player, he'll say he didn't let them down, but rather they let him down... but at the time, it sounded sincere... hearing that, I allowed myself to believe that maybe he does want to try to do better, if only briefly... he didn't have to say that at all...

So, I say to you, my friends and my antagonists, screw TO and go Cowboys... LOL...

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Oh come on you probably already when to the Cowboys Website and bought yourself a T.O. Jersey!

And don't say you bought two so you can crap on one and use the other to cover it...You're a Closet T.O. Fan...Admit it and You'll feel better!:D

silverbear

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Oh come on you probably already when to the Cowboys Website and bought yourself a T.O. Jersey!

And don't say you bought two so you can crap on one and use the other to cover it...You're a Closet T.O. Fan...Admit it and You'll feel better!:D

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

Honestly, if I was gonna buy a Cowboys jersey in the near future, I'd go buy a George Teague throwback... :bang2:

But I've got my Bill Bates authentic jersey from a few years back, with my last name on it in place of Bill's, the same jersey I wore into Texas Stadium for the season opener back in 92, and that's good enough for me... I prefer the kind of sports memorabilia I can put up on my fireplace mantle anyway... I only wear that jersey on game days...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
silverbear said:
He's ours now, and I feel nauseous... I won't back down from anything I said previously, I'll never root for the SOB...

HOWEVER... I do feel somewhat better about some things connected to this mess, and thought I'd elaborate:

1) The Cowboys' newsgroup has been just inundated with trolls flocking over there, looking to stir the fecal matter... they obviously do this in the hopes of making us Cowboys fans who don't like Owens even more depressed, even more angry... that's like when they flock in after a loss, acting like morons... ironically, their trolling has the exact OPPOSITE effect on me; it helps me get over being angry at a loss, when I get back in their faces and give vent to some of my frustrations... and in this instance, it makes me feel a little less depressed and angry, because it's crystal clear that they're trolling because they're scared witless at the thought of TO in a Cowboys uniform, and the smell of their fear always makes me smile... anything that gets the trolls this worked up can't be all bad...

2) I was deeply worried about the possibility (actually, the likelihood) that TO would become a cancer, and wreck this team, both in the short term and in the long term... but once I got a good look at that contract, a LOT of these fears were allayed... that contract is positively ingenious, perhaps even brilliant...

For Owens, he gets to pocket a hefty paycheck each year of the deal... in a "normal" contract, the player pockets a large signing bonus the first year, but in future years, he just gets his base salary... this is why TO was upset about his contract last year, "all" he was getting was his base salary (and how could he feed his family on such a paltry sum, LOL)... but in this deal, he gets a bonus every year, meaning he'll pocket at least 7-8 million in each year of his deal... this should make him less likely to be a PITA over money down the line, he's gonna get paid every year...

For the Cowboys, structuring the contract that way means they can part company with TO at any time if he does cause more problems than he's worth, with minimal damage to the salary cap (if they cut him year 2 or 3 before they pay him the bonus due those years, they'll be on the hook for a little over a 3 million cap charge, hardly a major blow when the cap will be up close to 110 mil by then)...

So now, my biggest fear is that he'll cause problems when (not if) he doesn't get the ball thrown to him as often as he wants... for openers, the Boys won't throw the ball as often as the Iggles did, reducing the number of opportunities for him to catch passes... last year, the Iggles threw the ball 620 times, the Cowboys threw it an even 500 times... Parcells will throw the ball a bit more, obviously, with Owens in the lineup, but he's still gonna be a run-first coach... I'd anticipate Bill throwing the ball about 550 times this year...

In addition, TO has better receivers around him on the Cowboys than he did on the Iggles-- Glenn and Crayton are better than any WR Philly had last year, and Jason Witten is a somewhat better TE option (though the Iggles' TEs aren't bad)... so clearly, they're gonna be open more often, and Bledsoe is gonna throw the ball their way more often... this also translates into fewer opportunities for Owens... anybody expecting 90-100 catches from TO is being silly, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't catch 75 passes... but I would be surprised if he doesn't give the Boys 1000 yards receiving and 10TDs... I still worry that this won't satisfy him, and that there will be blowups on the sidelines and in the press...

But those kinds of blowups don't have to destroy a team... you can still win with that kind of silliness going on...

So I'm not gonna turn into some TO fan, not at any point... I'd gag on my own hypocrisy if I tried... but now that he IS ours, it would be silly of me not to recognize reality, and contemplate what his presence will mean to the offense on the field... what it means to me is 1) Terry Glenn won't be gettin' double covered, not most of the time anyway, and this should help his numbers... and 2) opponents will not be able to stack the line of scrimmage to shut down the run, they'll have to respect the threat TO brings, and this will help Julius Jones' and Marion Barber's numbers (almost as much as a better offensive line will)...

It just might be that Jason Witten will see an uptick in his numbers too, now that Keyshawn is gone... Key was a primary target on 3rd and 3 or 4, and so was Witten, but now Witten will get more of those looks... Owens offers some threat in that short passing game, but not as much as Key did... his superiority came in his downfield abilities...

Finally, I'll say that I was singularly unimpressed with TO at that press conference, he seemed totally insincere, with one exception-- the time he told Jerry "I won't let you down"... now, that's obviously a self-serving remark, and of course if things ever do break down between the team and the player, he'll say he didn't let them down, but rather they let him down... but at the time, it sounded sincere... hearing that, I allowed myself to believe that maybe he does want to try to do better, if only briefly... he didn't have to say that at all...

So, I say to you, my friends and my antagonists, screw TO and go Cowboys... LOL...

we've disagreed in the past sb - sometimes in a "violent" nature - but i got your back totally here.

this board has been the victim of some onslaught of TO "lovers" who's sole goal makes bledsoe4mvp look harmless.

it's painfully obvious there is a divide right now. the words 'real fan' are tossed about as if they'll have some effect on someone who thinks the "other" way but that's not how it works, as you say.

the contract is the key here. if he doesn't behave he's gone and we're not in a bind. although i loved the idea on the ticket where someone suggested a roster bonus weekly, i think the paycheck once a year *is* what he looked at.

i'll never care for the way he treats other people. if you're upset with someone you don't call them "gay" in public and expect people to give you respect in return. this is the biggest reason why i can't respect TO is he respects no one but himself.

he's a very talented man with a lot to offer - yes. no one - not even those who hate TO the most - can deny that. in the end you can put it all aside and what will make it or break it now is simply - TO.

if we run into hard times does he have his teammates back, or will he be busy putting a knife in it cause it furthers his own cause?

good post, sb.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
silverbear said:
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

Honestly, if I was gonna buy a Cowboys jersey in the near future, I'd go buy a George Teague throwback... :bang2:

But I've got my Bill Bates authentic jersey from a few years back, with my last name on it in place of Bill's, the same jersey I wore into Texas Stadium for the season opener back in 92, and that's good enough for me... I prefer the kind of sports memorabilia I can put up on my fireplace mantle anyway... I only wear that jersey on game days...

Oh Man don't tell me...After Owens scores his first TD and he goes to the Star...You're going to be flying out of the stands in your Teague jersey and Nail him!:D

dmoore

Reaction score
I think TO is actually a better teammate then what people here give him credit for. I seemed to me that a lot of the Eagles were friends with him, and a bunch of them attended his birthday party after he was suspended. I like what TO brings to this team. He's incredibly talented, but more importantly, he's a hard worker. Maybe seeing the way he works will rub off on the rest of the team. I think we should be thankful we're getting an amazingly talented player who should be out to prove himself, and getting him at a reasonable price. There were no other options we could have explored that would have been anywhere near as potentially rewarding as this one. TO might be just the thing the Cowboys need to get over the hump and bring another ring back to big D. If that happens, I think there will be a lot more TO fans. We'll have to wait and see I guess, but I have a feeling things are going to turn out for the best.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
how bout every1 shuts up about TO, he is now a cowboy and we all hate TO but he at the same time we all LOVE winning so how bout we get happy to have TO since we wont be watching every game on the edge of our seat depending on Josh Brown to make the game winning field goal.

SkinsFan06

Reaction score
silverbear.....u might be the smartest person on this site.....if i were cowboys fans i would not give props to T.O. until he makes it 2 plus seasons without running his mouth

silverbear

Reaction score
iceberg said:
we've disagreed in the past sb - sometimes in a "violent" nature - but i got your back totally here.

And the more I know you, the more I read your stuff, the more I wonder how in God's name I could ever have reacted that way to you... LOL...

I know, politics, but if I like a guy, I'll dismiss our political differences... sure wish I'd known you better before we started down that road...

it's painfully obvious there is a divide right now. the words 'real fan' are tossed about as if they'll have some effect on someone who thinks the "other" way but that's not how it works, as you say.

I did some of that myself, when I was at my angriest, and I feel kinda silly about it now...

the contract is the key here. if he doesn't behave he's gone and we're not in a bind. although i loved the idea on the ticket where someone suggested a roster bonus weekly, i think the paycheck once a year *is* what he looked at.

i'll never care for the way he treats other people. if you're upset with someone you don't call them "gay" in public and expect people to give you respect in return. this is the biggest reason why i can't respect TO is he respects no one but himself.

you are exactly right on all of the above, ice...

good post, sb.

After 3000 plus posts, it was inevitable that this blind hawg would find an acorn eventually... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Oh Man don't tell me...After Owens scores his first TD and he goes to the Star...You're going to be flying out of the stands in your Teague jersey and Nail him!:D

Naw, I'll be in my living room... Dallas is just too far from the Shenandoah Valley, and I'm a workin' stiff...

It ain't a bad thought, though... maybe if I was still allowed to drink, and was in the stands, I'd give it some consideration... prolly not, the guy's a good deal bigger than I am, and I'm gettin' old... LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsFan06 said:
silverbear.....u might be the smartest person on this site.....

Well, maybe the best looking... :laugh2:

Thanks for the kind words, though...

Jay9508

Reaction score
I'm not jumping on the "T.O. Bandwagon", but if he contain his temper and preform great on the feild,then JJ made a good move.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hey Silver,

I thought you might like my Sig. Doesn't he look nice and peaceful. lol.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dcfanatic said:
Hey Silver,

I thought you might like my Sig. Doesn't he look nice and peaceful. lol.

Actually T.O. looks like he is RISING(star) from the Dead(Philly)
:laugh2:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Well Bear...

I can't do anything about TO outside of express my sincere displeasure with him being on the team :puke:

having said that...I just don't know...On one hand I can see the offense you described on the other I can see Bledsoe assuming the prone position again... I do not believe teams will play man to man against Dallas but rather a deep zone... Bledsoe's lack of a short passing game worries me...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
silverbear said:
And the more I know you, the more I read your stuff, the more I wonder how in God's name I could ever have reacted that way to you... LOL...

I know, politics, but if I like a guy, I'll dismiss our political differences... sure wish I'd known you better before we started down that road...

oh hell sb - it's not like i don't take strong stances also. sometimes people can and will clash and you just go through it and see where it takes you.

stiletto

Reaction score
My Question is, what is their to wreck?? It's not like we have been to the NFC championship recently... it's not the same as him going into Philly and wrecking a "winner" We haven't won squat in a decade.....

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
iceberg said:
oh hell sb - it's not like i don't take strong stances also. sometimes people can and will clash and you just go through it and see where it takes you.

Funny......Some of the posters I have had my biggest conflicts with have turned out to be some of my favorite people.

I would sure hate to be the ref in a squabble between you and bear.....that would be down right scary.

I think I would just pull up chase open a beer and say......"have at it" " let the best man win".:D

Grat post bear.:bow:

silverbear

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Well Bear...

I can't do anything about TO outside of express my sincere displeasure with him being on the team :puke:

having said that...I just don't know...On one hand I can see the offense you described on the other I can see Bledsoe assuming the prone position again... I do not believe teams will play man to man against Dallas but rather a deep zone... Bledsoe's lack of a short passing game worries me...

This is the lamest of cliches, but I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see what happens, wild man...