Thoughts from a TO hater...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
iceberg said:
oh hell sb - it's not like i don't take strong stances also.

You??!? NOOOOOOOO... :eek:

sometimes people can and will clash and you just go through it and see where it takes you.

We seem to have come out the other side OK... this is good, I had better uses for that money I'd set aside for a hit man... :laugh2:

How are things over on the ol' Renegade Radio forum these days??

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Funny......Some of the posters I have had my biggest conflicts with have turned out to be some of my favorite people.

I would sure hate to be the ref in a squabble between you and bear.....that would be down right scary. Ice can hang, ain't no doubt about that...

I think I would just pull up chase open a beer and say......"have at it" " let the best man win".:D

It as borderline epic, and spilled over to 2 boards... the boys on ice's own board REALLY liked me, too...

One of these days, him and me are just liable to join forces against some poor schlub... the smart money says when THAT'S all done, they won't be able to recognize him, even using dental records...

Grat post bear.:bow:

Aw, shucks...

Thanks...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hey SB,

I've got a question for you. You said you will never root for TO? How do you not root for TO when he is wearing the Star? I mean, I am as conflicted as you are on this. I was against the signing until it was obvious we would get him and then I had to suck it up and accept it.

I don't want to root for TO but I am going to. WHy? Because if Glenn can't get open, and Crayton can't get open, I sure as heck am going to root for TO to get open. Just wondering how you planned on doing that on game day.

BTW, I liked the original post. Kinda of summed up my thoughts on the whole TO thingy really well.

juice28

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Hey SB,

I've got a question for you. You said you will never root for TO? How do you not root for TO when he is wearing the Star? I mean, I am as conflicted as you are on this. I was against the signing until it was obvious we would get him and then I had to suck it up and accept it.

I don't want to root for TO but I am going to. WHy? Because if Glenn can't get open, and Crayton can't get open, I sure as heck am going to root for TO to get open. Just wondering how you planned on doing that on game day.

BTW, I liked the original post. Kinda of summed up my thoughts on the whole TO thingy really well.

I can't speak on behalf of SB, but IMO, if Glenn scores a TD....."WAY TO GO GLENN, GOOD CATCH"

If T.O. scores..."GREAT THROW DREW!":D

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
juice28 said:
I can't speak on behalf of SB, but IMO, if Glenn scores a TD....."WAY TO GO GLENN, GOOD CATCH"

LOL! :laugh2:

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
silverbear said:
1) The Cowboys' newsgroup has been just inundated with trolls flocking over there, looking to stir the fecal matter... they obviously do this in the hopes of making us Cowboys fans who don't like Owens even more depressed, even more angry... that's like when they flock in after a loss, acting like morons... ironically, their trolling has the exact OPPOSITE effect on me; it helps me get over being angry at a loss, when I get back in their faces and give vent to some of my frustrations... and in this instance, it makes me feel a little less depressed and angry, because it's crystal clear that they're trolling because they're scared witless at the thought of TO in a Cowboys uniform, and the smell of their fear always makes me smile... anything that gets the trolls this worked up can't be all bad...

Flame wars, political OT gibberish and low signal-to-noise posts caused me to quit reading usenet years ago for any Cowboys info.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
juice28 said:

Nice. Young man, you've just solved the worlds problems. I believe you've just coined pessi-optomistism........I think?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
thats7 said:
Nice. Young man, you've just solved the worlds problems. I believe you've just coined pessi-optomistism........I think?

I would imagine that if Julius would fumble and TO picked it up and ran 99 yards for a TD Juice would say, "Did you see the way Julius bounced that ball right into Ownes hands?" :lmao2:

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
silverbear said:
He's ours now, and I feel nauseous... I won't back down from anything I said previously, I'll never root for the SOB...

HOWEVER... I do feel somewhat better about some things connected to this mess, and thought I'd elaborate:

1) The Cowboys' newsgroup has been just inundated with trolls flocking over there, looking to stir the fecal matter... they obviously do this in the hopes of making us Cowboys fans who don't like Owens even more depressed, even more angry... that's like when they flock in after a loss, acting like morons... ironically, their trolling has the exact OPPOSITE effect on me; it helps me get over being angry at a loss, when I get back in their faces and give vent to some of my frustrations... and in this instance, it makes me feel a little less depressed and angry, because it's crystal clear that they're trolling because they're scared witless at the thought of TO in a Cowboys uniform, and the smell of their fear always makes me smile... anything that gets the trolls this worked up can't be all bad...

2) I was deeply worried about the possibility (actually, the likelihood) that TO would become a cancer, and wreck this team, both in the short term and in the long term... but once I got a good look at that contract, a LOT of these fears were allayed... that contract is positively ingenious, perhaps even brilliant...

For Owens, he gets to pocket a hefty paycheck each year of the deal... in a "normal" contract, the player pockets a large signing bonus the first year, but in future years, he just gets his base salary... this is why TO was upset about his contract last year, "all" he was getting was his base salary (and how could he feed his family on such a paltry sum, LOL)... but in this deal, he gets a bonus every year, meaning he'll pocket at least 7-8 million in each year of his deal... this should make him less likely to be a PITA over money down the line, he's gonna get paid every year...

For the Cowboys, structuring the contract that way means they can part company with TO at any time if he does cause more problems than he's worth, with minimal damage to the salary cap (if they cut him year 2 or 3 before they pay him the bonus due those years, they'll be on the hook for a little over a 3 million cap charge, hardly a major blow when the cap will be up close to 110 mil by then)...

So now, my biggest fear is that he'll cause problems when (not if) he doesn't get the ball thrown to him as often as he wants... for openers, the Boys won't throw the ball as often as the Iggles did, reducing the number of opportunities for him to catch passes... last year, the Iggles threw the ball 620 times, the Cowboys threw it an even 500 times... Parcells will throw the ball a bit more, obviously, with Owens in the lineup, but he's still gonna be a run-first coach... I'd anticipate Bill throwing the ball about 550 times this year...

In addition, TO has better receivers around him on the Cowboys than he did on the Iggles-- Glenn and Crayton are better than any WR Philly had last year, and Jason Witten is a somewhat better TE option (though the Iggles' TEs aren't bad)... so clearly, they're gonna be open more often, and Bledsoe is gonna throw the ball their way more often... this also translates into fewer opportunities for Owens... anybody expecting 90-100 catches from TO is being silly, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't catch 75 passes... but I would be surprised if he doesn't give the Boys 1000 yards receiving and 10TDs... I still worry that this won't satisfy him, and that there will be blowups on the sidelines and in the press...

But those kinds of blowups don't have to destroy a team... you can still win with that kind of silliness going on...

So I'm not gonna turn into some TO fan, not at any point... I'd gag on my own hypocrisy if I tried... but now that he IS ours, it would be silly of me not to recognize reality, and contemplate what his presence will mean to the offense on the field... what it means to me is 1) Terry Glenn won't be gettin' double covered, not most of the time anyway, and this should help his numbers... and 2) opponents will not be able to stack the line of scrimmage to shut down the run, they'll have to respect the threat TO brings, and this will help Julius Jones' and Marion Barber's numbers (almost as much as a better offensive line will)...

It just might be that Jason Witten will see an uptick in his numbers too, now that Keyshawn is gone... Key was a primary target on 3rd and 3 or 4, and so was Witten, but now Witten will get more of those looks... Owens offers some threat in that short passing game, but not as much as Key did... his superiority came in his downfield abilities...

Finally, I'll say that I was singularly unimpressed with TO at that press conference, he seemed totally insincere, with one exception-- the time he told Jerry "I won't let you down"... now, that's obviously a self-serving remark, and of course if things ever do break down between the team and the player, he'll say he didn't let them down, but rather they let him down... but at the time, it sounded sincere... hearing that, I allowed myself to believe that maybe he does want to try to do better, if only briefly... he didn't have to say that at all...

So, I say to you, my friends and my antagonists, screw TO and go Cowboys... LOL...
You should run 'Air America.'

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
silverbear said:
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

Honestly, if I was gonna buy a Cowboys jersey in the near future, I'd go buy a George Teague throwback... :bang2:

:cry3: :crawl:

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
SkinsFan06 said:
silverbear.....u might be the smartest person on this site.....

Nuff said about this thread and its author. Give me something besides he sheot on the star. Whatta bunch o' poosays. It's a damn good contract for the best available talent at WR in eons. We've got shopping room left and LA is still under contract along with Ellis who is quite marketable. You're sick about it, SB?
Good.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
stiletto said:
My Question is, what is their to wreck?? It's not like we have been to the NFC championship recently... it's not the same as him going into Philly and wrecking a "winner" We haven't won squat in a decade.....
You'd think we were tinkering with a Super Bowl team here. Morons. His contract will not destroy us by any means if it doesn't work. TO will be hurt more than Dallas. The upside is amazing for the entire offense, especially our running game, believe it or not.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Wonderful post, SilverBear. I was wondering where you stood on TO.

This certainly is already the most heated off-season discussion I've yet to witness in the NFL when the topic is just ONE player, and not a debate on Player X vs Player Z.

Simply from the sociological angle, it's fascinating :)

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
silverbear said:
He's ours now, and I feel nauseous... I won't back down from anything I said previously, I'll never root for the SOB...
I'd wager heavily his first multi-touchdown day you'll be giddy like a schoolgirl.

All the TO hate needs to be kept in check until then as it's pointless. :)