Thoughts on Braelon Allen and Trey Benson

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
two big brusiing type RBs, with size and speed.
I don't know much about them. can they be had in the 3rd round?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Benson will likely be the 1st RB off the board in the 2nd.

Allen will likely be more of a mid round guy somewhere in rounds 3-5.

Aven8

Reaction score
If you think any of them are the next bell cow, and I don’t mean committee RB rotation. I mean the next star RB in Dallas. I’m fine taking Allen or Benson at our 2nd pick. I don’t want to hear about that that’s too high when we’ve drafted Schoonmaker, Williams, and Joseph as our last three 2nd round picks!

I’m getting “the guy” and running with it.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If you think any of them are the next bell cow, and I don’t mean committee RB rotation. I mean the next star RB in Dallas. I’m fine taking Allen or Benson at our 2nd pick. I don’t want to hear about that that’s too high when we’ve drafted Schoonmaker, Williams, and Joseph as our last three 2nd round picks!

That’s actually a great unintentional point.

If you’re drafting a glorified blocking TE in R2, you should have no problems taking a quality RB in the same round.

Depending on what the board looks like, I’ve got no fundamental issues taking a quality RB at pick 56 (or wherever it is we’re slotted).

Malhavoc

Reaction score

If you’re drafting a glorified blocking TE in R2, you should have no problems taking a quality RB in the same round.

Depending on what the board looks like, I’ve got no fundamental issues taking a quality RB at pick 56 (or wherever it is we’re slotted).
Yep. Considering the recent round 2 head scratchers, if they think a RB in round 2 is that guy, go for it.

rambo2

Reaction score

I'm thinking Payton Wilson in the 2nd or one of the receivers like Legette, or dtackle like Sweat or Fiske, or the corner Tampa.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Trey Benson ,he sort of glides into holes and has a stiff arm like Zeke,would love him in the 3rd RD.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Lloyd, Davis, Allen and Guerendo are all guys I think would be great mid round targets.

TheDank

Reaction score
Can everyone who loves Braelon Allen and thinks he’s a round 2 guy please go watch him vs Ohio State this year because as prospects he and Benson are not close to the same tier.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Can everyone who loves Braelon Allen and thinks he’s a round 2 guy please go watch him vs Ohio State this year because as prospects he and Benson are not close to the same tier.
Benson is a better prospect but this as a reasoning is absurd.

Should we go watch Caleb Williams against ND and report back about how overrated he is?

TheDank

Reaction score
Benson is a better prospect but this as a reasoning is absurd.

Should we go watch Caleb Williams against ND and report back about how overrated he is?
Yes because their tape playing the sport being the reasoning for not having them as a top prospect is so absurd. I actually like Allen as a prospect but that game specifically shows his deficiencies. He’s a bigger back that struggles to get going right at the line and gives you less power than you would think in short yardage (similar to Derrick Henry) he runs over guys once he gets to take off though. He also isn’t quite quick enough to make a free defender miss in the backfield like some top backs are to save a busted assignment. He also has some ball security issues, fixable with coaching but I hate the way he holds it sometimes.

A lot of people see the athleticism and don’t watch him actually play the game.

ND game is one of Caleb’s biggest detractors btw, there’s just enough film to show it was a one off. The specific issues that are highlighted in the Ohio state game for Braelon are pretty consistent this year.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

you two are on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially with our bottom round pick, it's close to being a 3rd anyways

J12B

Reaction score
I'd be totally fine with Benson at 24.

Ideally trade back to very early in the 2nd and take him then. We could pick up a 3rd Rounder or early 4th rounder.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yes because their tape playing the sport being the reasoning for not having them as a top prospect is so absurd. I actually like Allen as a prospect but that game specifically shows his deficiencies. He’s a bigger back that struggles to get going right at the line and gives you less power than you would think in short yardage (similar to Derrick Henry) he runs over guys once he gets to take off though. He also isn’t quite quick enough to make a free defender miss in the backfield like some top backs are to save a busted assignment. He also has some ball security issues, fixable with coaching but I hate the way he holds it sometimes.

A lot of people see the athleticism and don’t watch him actually play the game.

ND game is one of Caleb’s biggest detractors btw, there’s just enough film to show it was a one off. The specific issues that are highlighted in the Ohio state game for Braelon are pretty consistent this year.
People are excited about him because of his athleticism for his size and the fact he put up back to back 1200+ yard seasons before turning 20.

OSU was a bad game, sure, but there is also a massive talent gap between those teams.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I have been on the Benson bandwagon for awhile, problem is - you would have to take him At # 56, and we won't. By the time we get to # 87, alot of the top runners will be gobbled up.
So long as we pick up a free agent RB, someone like Rice from Kentucky would be a good pickup. Even the ND runner.