Thoughts on Braelon Allen and Trey Benson

cnuball21

Reaction score
I have been on the Benson bandwagon for awhile, problem is - you would have to take him At # 56, and we won't. By the time we get to # 87, alot of the top runners will be gobbled up.
So long as we pick up a free agent RB, someone like Rice from Kentucky would be a good pickup. Even the ND runner.
If we’re not extending Dak, and rumor has it we aren’t, at this point it’s all about acquiring top talent at premium positions IMO. I’m a huge Benson fan but what’s the point if we have 1 season or a franchise QB?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't see it with Allen. He's just slow to the hole. I don't expect a 235 lb power back to be Mr. Twinkle Toes, but he's a plodder.

To me, he looks exactly like end-of-the-line Zeke... a little scary for a 20 yo! He's a stout pass blocker, has zero burst, and has a little bit of fall-forward power. If you think that Pollard was missing Zeke as his complement in 2023, then Allen might be your guy. But I'd prefer a rookie with more juice in his legs.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Benson, easily.

Frankly, if I want a bruising back, I think I'd take Estime over Allen. Estime ran a subpar 40 at 4.71. Allen didn't run it but based on other testing, Allen probably would have ran in that range. Estime was a much better broad jump and vertical, testing near the top of the RB group. Estime apparently was better in the drills as well, including pass catching.

That being said, I'd rather have Benson or Wright first.

TheDank

Reaction score
I don't see it with Allen. He's just slow to the hole. I don't expect a 235 lb power back to be Mr. Twinkle Toes, but he's a plodder.

To me, he looks exactly like end-of-the-line Zeke... a little scary for a 20 yo! He's a stout pass blocker, has zero burst, and has a little bit of fall-forward power. If you think that Pollard was missing Zeke as his complement in 2023, then Allen might be your guy. But I'd prefer a rookie with more juice in his legs.
Honestly it’s weird because the more I watch the more it’s like watching Derrick Henry where you think they’ll be dominant in short yardage but they actually go down relatively easily if they get hit at or before the LOS, but once they get going they’re extremely difficult to bring down and have good contact balance.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Benson is the better player…but if I can have Allen in the 4/5th instead of taking Benson in the 2nd I like that value much more.

1942willys

Reaction score
Benson is the better player…but if I can have Allen in the 4/5th instead of taking Benson in the 2nd I like that value much more.
value is over rated. When you choose the clearly lesser player because of value you are really screwing up

cnuball21

Reaction score
value is over rated. When you choose the clearly lesser player because of value you are really screwing up
So did you like the Mazi pick since DT was a big need and he was the best run plugger in the draft even though we took him about 20 spots too high?

1942willys

Reaction score
So did you like the Mazi pick since DT was a big need and he was the best run plugger in the draft even though we took him about 20 spots too high?
I wanted someone like Mazi but I was against the pick. I did not think he was worth a first. I thought there were others we could have got lower down on the draft that would have gotten the job done
the key was getting someone that could get it done; so far Mazi is not and does not look like he will though its early days yet; this whole weight loss thing is not encouraging
the whole value thing to me is way over rated. The key factor in a draft is getting as much talent as you can however you do it
worrying about value is pointless

cnuball21

Reaction score
I wanted someone like Mazi but I was against the pick. I did not think he was worth a first. I thought there were others we could have got lower down on the draft that would have gotten the job done
the key was getting someone that could get it done; so far Mazi is not and does not look like he will though its early days yet; this whole weight loss thing is not encouraging
the whole value thing to me is way over rated. The key factor in a draft is getting as much talent as you can however you do it
worrying about value is pointless
Everything you just said essentially means maximizing value.

“Getting as much talent as you can”…that’s the whole point of value over need.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
There's seven rounds of the draft... you're going to have to pick some "clearly lesser" players eventually. We can't just draft Joe Alt and come back for Marvin Harrison Jr in the second.

Every team has a finite amount of resources and has to to prioritize how to spend them. That's just the reality of the NFL.

If you draft Trey Benson in the 2nd, maybe you lose out on a big nasty center like Frazier. Which combo would you rather have: a really explosive RB like Benson and an undersized center like Bortolini that you think will get pushed into Dak's lap? Or would you rather draft a strong, hold-the-point center and come back for a more plodding RB to run behind him?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Benson seems like the RB1 in this class, personally. His running is beautiful and he makes people miss.

Allen is an intriguing prospect. He’s young, massive, and catches the ball well.

If I want a guy who I can almost guarantee can come in and start from day one however, it’s Benson.

1942willys

Reaction score
Everything you just said essentially means maximizing value.

“Getting as much talent as you can”…that’s the whole point of value over need.
it is NOT value over need; its bargain basement shopping versus getting the best
You look for the best player and do not worry about price.
I would rather get FOUR excellent players than SEVEN GOOD players

cnuball21

Reaction score
it is NOT value over need; its bargain basement shopping versus getting the best
You look for the best player and do not worry about price.
I would rather get FOUR excellent players than SEVEN GOOD players
What you’re saying is drafting BPA. You take the best player each round instead of reaching for need.

Thats how you hit on 3/4 players in the draft.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
Agree with Benson over Allen.

I get that people will freak out over his 40 time, but I'd prefer Audric Estime to Allen too in terms of bigger backs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Agree with Benson over Allen.

I get that people will freak out over his 40 time, but I'd prefer Audric Estime to Allen too in terms of bigger backs.

Estime's 40 times was disappointing but Allen didn't run and if you look at the other testing like broad and vertical, Estime tested much better than Allen. I bet Allen would have run a similar 40 time.

Both these guys are in that 2nd tier of TBs for me. 3rd or 4th round options at best.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Estime's 40 times was disappointing but Allen didn't run and if you look at the other testing like broad and vertical, Estime tested much better than Allen. I bet Allen would have run a similar 40 time.

Both these guys are in that 2nd tier of TBs for me. 3rd or 4th round options at best.

Yeah. I'd guess that Allen is a 4.70 guy as well. That sounds low, but plugging it into the Speed Score formula, that would be an NFL average time for his weight.

I'm worried that that is just too slow of a 40 time, regardless of the back's size. It seems like there's a threshold minimum for speed where even having jumbo size isn't able to compensate. To paint an extreme example, teams don't hand it off Fridge Perry style to huge guards that run a 5.2.

I don't know where that cut line is - how slow can you go? - but 4.7's got to be pushing it. Every NFL DB runs that, pretty much every starting LB runs that, and there are even DEs that run that. You can't get a step on anyone.

Maybe Allen drop some weight and gain speed, but as it stands, I think he's more of a fullback than a running back.

Last edited: