Thoughts on releasing Cooper after the season

quickccc

Reaction score
- Cooper is a featured receiver here with the team. But he's Not an elite WR, imo.
He struggles to beat the better, more elite coverage CBs.

- He's not one that takes over game, that has to be accounted for, double team, game-planned around.
- A quick footed, quick twitched finesse route runner that depends on footwork and shoulder- hip jukes to beat CBs,
Against the average joes, he can tie their shoe lances with those great jukes,.. but against the better CBs, he can be bullied and shadowed ,and jammed off those routes.

- Like most NFL WRs, he'll have his bouts with dropsies, and he's not one to out-jump or overpower CBs at the goal line.

- He has his moments on occasions, but here comes the usual lingering, nagging injuries he has to try to battle thru every year, that also slows him probably too often.
but is that warranted 20 million per year WR ?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We need to do everything we can to try and keep this team together. We’re still a year away in my opinion. We need to try and hang on to our best players and keep adding talent. It’s not easy with the salary cap. I wish we could get out of Zeke’s contract. He’s still a good player but is clearly on the decline. If I had to part with someone it would be him. The role he currently has wouldn’t be hard to replace but we’re stuck with his contract for another year.

75boyz

Reaction score
He brings zero energy or leadership to the team. He lets the team down by missing two games due to his decisions when Jerry wants everyone “all in”, and now the nfl is on him for yet another decision. He runs good routes but they don’t utilize him anyways. Sprinkle in some consistent foot and soft tissue injuries and not getting any younger, and he’s a great 5 million, number 2 receiver. But #1 receiver at 20 million per year ?

Nice post. Would be hard pressed to disagree with any of your post here and especially the closing statement part pertainng to paycheck.

jmo

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
That might’ve been the plan when they got Ceedee, but he hasn’t improved from his rookie year. Unfortunately, he is not a #1 receiver right now.

But you’re right, $21 million is a lot of money to pay for a 70-80 catch type of receiver.
before coops we did t need a #1 just had to throw to the open man…that didn’t work very well, coop came in saved the season

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I agree in term of talent but can you pay a WR 21 million for 70 catches a year?
Considering what our passing game looked like when he was out, maybe you can say he’s getting paid for some of Lamb’s, Wilson’s, and other’s reception.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cooper has been getting hounded by the media and now the league is on his case.

I think Jerry is angling for Coop’s release with some of the public statements he made earlier in the season. It also seems the media attention is targeted, and it could be the team playing PR games.

Theories aside, if the FO is interested in bringing Wilson back and they believe Gallup can be brought back on a 1 year deal, releasing Coop does make financial sense. They could transition 10 million of the cap from offense to defense with that one move.

I really like Amari and his quiet confidence but his production has been down so paying him 21 million next season seems insane.
Gallup is injury prone and probably wont be ready to start the year.

Plus he isnt really making 21 million a year. Its more like 17. With only 6 million in guarantees left, it makes alot more sense to redo Coopers contract than cutting. If you cut him, his replacement isnt currently on the roster

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Keep amare. He the best wr have. Dak should force feed him the ball a little more. It’s the highest percentage throw we have for a wr. Cut Zeke if we want to save wasted money and lock pollard up 2-3 years plus draft a rb

lqmac1

Reaction score
before coops we did t need a #1 just had to throw to the open man…that didn’t work very well, coop came in saved the season
I agree 100%! He helped tremendously and has been a key part of our offense.

You have to be honest & ask yourself, is he a $21 million wide receiver? At that point, he would be the second highest paid receiver in the league behind Hopkins.

For me, the answer is no. I’m just being as real and transparent as I possibly can. He’s above average at his position, but he’s not one of the elite ones.

This isn't a Cleveland-like situation with Mayfield and OBJ regarding his targets, Coop is just struggling to beat coverages and get open at times. Dak’s stats would back that argument. He’s had the reputation of disappearing during games dating back to his Oakland days.

CWR

Reaction score

I think Jerry is angling for Coop’s release with some of the public statements he made earlier in the season. It also seems the media attention is targeted, and it could be the team playing PR games.

Theories aside, if the FO is interested in bringing Wilson back and they believe Gallup can be brought back on a 1 year deal, releasing Coop does make financial sense. They could transition 10 million of the cap from offense to defense with that one move.

I really like Amari and his quiet confidence but his production has been down so paying him 21 million next season seems insane.

Avg targets per game
Kupp 11.2
Adams 10.6

Coop 6.9 this makes him 31st in avg targets per game.

I dont believe Coop is down of his own fault. Dak is ether spreading the ball around or Coop is covered or he's just missed.

If we were to feature him I don't think for a second his numbers would be down. When he started calling for the ball he went out and lit up Washington. We are better when he gets his targets.

CWR

Reaction score
Oh, I understand. Not hating on Cooper. Just stating a fact. He's been covered (by his own admission) mostly 1-on-1 all of this season, yet he has struggled to get open. THAT is why he hasn't had the ball thrown to him as much. He's got no one to blame but himself. Instead, he starts yapping to the media and pointing fingers towards Dak and Kellen Moore. That's bush league. Plus, he refuses to take ownership of his own performance (or lack of it).

He is one of the top route runners in the game. He may not be doubled in full but often times a safety or someone else peels off of him after muddying the water long enough for Dak to look the other way or feel pressure.

Honestly think a lot of it is CD soaking up a larger role of targets and Dak taking what the defense gives him underneath.

I believe if he went to a team that featured him he'd have 1200 and 10. Jmo

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

No way Jerry releases him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
These types of threads... smh

People sitting at home thinking they're GMs.
Here are the moves if anybody listened.

Get rid of:

Dak
Zeke
Tyron
Gallup
Cooper

Did I miss anyone?

We're in the playoffs and THIS is a discussion!?!

Only because you guys keep feeding it.. and you left out Lawrence.. :laugh:

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Thought about it, okay, nope, keep him.

we’re a better team with Cooper, not without

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He is one of the top route runners in the game. He may not be doubled in full but often times a safety or someone else peels off of him after muddying the water long enough for Dak to look the other way or feel pressure.

Honestly think a lot of it is CD soaking up a larger role of targets and Dak taking what the defense gives him underneath.

I believe if he went to a team that featured him he'd have 1200 and 10. Jmo
We have featured him. It's gotten us nowhere.

At this point, he's more of a good #2. Problem is he's way overpaid.

Mannix

Reaction score
Never should have extended him in the first place....not sure if the dude is truly committed to anything in life.