Thoughts on Romo? *Merge*

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I wonder how many would be sacks Romo escaped this preseason. He's played a ton of snaps, and I only remember him taking one sack which was the fumble against NO where he was hit from behind before he even had a chance to set up in the pocket.

I don't think we're doomed if Bledsoe goes down with injury. Let's not act like Romo is having to replace Roger Staubach back there (nor should we act like Bledsoe isn't prone to the occasional what the F throw himself).

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I wonder how many would be sacks Romo escaped this preseason. He's played a ton of snaps, and I only remember him taking one sack which was the fumble against NO where he was hit from behind before he even had a chance to set up in the pocket.

That's the only sack I recall.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
tony romo just wills himself to make plays. his growth in the last year has been exponential. anytime a guy throws it as much as he did tonight there's gonna be a coupla stinkos. but i feel he's answered questions about his arm-strength a ton.

he drives the ball well on the out and leads the WR well on the post. nice arc, too.

it seems he has a great feel for the rush and enough legs to deliver himself from harm.

any considerable improvement from here and tony will certainly shorten bledsoe's tenure as the starter here.

Yeah, gosh the run game (before TT came in) was just non-existent. When we got deep in their terriotry alot of times they would just drop back in a zone because they didnt fear the run.

But I still dare any team to constantly run blitz and stack the LOS with Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn on the outside.

Man we should had really made a play for Alex Gibb (im just assuming we didnt), the ex-Bronco Line coach who went to Atlanta 2 years ago. Im sure that there is more to it then just getting a coach but I just think this guy would be great for our team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
I wonder how many would be sacks Romo escaped this preseason.
Pat, pat, pat.

What are you trying to imply???

Pat, pat, pat.

:laugh2:

sago1

Reaction score
I certainly think Romo has a good future and his ability to move around may be much needed given our OL play. But he better get rid of that gunslinger mentality. While it may occasionally work, it also has potential to kill us--see Brett Favre. I'll tell you one thing, Favre may have great stats & indeed was a great QB, but I'll take Aikman over him any day of the week.

Iago33

Reaction score
He played well at times, but I'm concerned about his arm on the deep balls. Maybe he just doesn't have the timing down because he can put some zip on the outs. That deep ball has me worried.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
I think a lot of the Henson people have a lot to be dissappointed about. There were only a few fans on Romo's bannedwagon, but it has become clear that he IS, in fact, a legitimate QB with an NFL caliber arm; not to mention the fact that he's got the genetic component it takes to be an NFL QB. The guy is a player and a great passer.

I have a feeling that this team will rally around Romo; and by next year, Drew Henson will be history.

That's just how I see it after 4 preseason games. The jury has reached a decesion. Romo is here to stay. He got a contract extension; and guess what?

The guy resembles "starting material" or "pedigree" so much more than Henson that it's not even funny.

I'm happy for Romo and I feel that he has more of a chance of being "the future" than anyone recently.

Sorry to say it, but the Hensonites crashed and burned on their assesments.

Go Cowboys! Go Romo!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday said:
I think a lot of the Henson people have a lot to be dissappointed about.

How sad, that you probably had a valid point to make, but you had to start things out with a juvenile attempt to bait Drew Henson's fans...

With that start, I saw no need to continue reading the rest of your thoughts...

That's too bad, because personally, I liked Henson AND Romo... the question is, why didn't you?? Why did it have to be an either/or situation with you??

If a player-- ANY player, even TO-- puts on a Cowboys jersey, I'm gonna hope he plays well... I can't fathom why any Cowboys fan wouldn't do the same...

Let's just say I don't understand your particular brand of "fandom", and in all candor, I can't respect it, either...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
silverbear said:
How sad, that you probably had a valid point to make, but you had to start things out with a juvenile attempt to bait Drew Henson's fans...

That's too bad, because personally, I liked Henson AND Romo... the question is, why didn't you?? Why did it have to be an either/or situation with you??

If a player-- ANY player, even TO-- puts on a Cowboys jersey, I'm gonna hope he plays well... I can't fathom why any Cowboys fan wouldn't do the same...

Let's just say I don't understand your particular brand of "fandom", and in all candor, I can't respect it, either...
You really made a lot of assumptions from just one sentence.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday said:
I have a feeling that this team will rally around Romo; and by next year, Drew Henson will be history.
Am I in a time warp, or is Henson not here already?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
theogt said:
You really made a lot of assumptions from just one sentence.

Didn't make any assumptions at all... for all I know, the rest of the post might have been EXCELLENT... but when I read a post that starts out with a juvenile attempt at "in your face" to Henson fans everywhere, a week after the guy left the team, I'm not gonna bother reading anything else...

What exactly does Henson have to do with Romo, anyway?? Why was it necessary to invoke his name, if the intent was to praise Tony's play??

Answer-- he was tryin' to piss off Henson fans... screw that, I ain't interested in reading that kind of crap...

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Didn't make any assumptions at all... for all I know, the rest of the post might have been EXCELLENT... but when I read a post that starts out with a juvenile attempt at "in your face" to Henson fans everywhere, a week after the guy left the team, I'm not gonna bother reading anything else...

What exactly does Henson have to do with Romo, anyway?? Why was it necessary to invoke his name, if the intent was to praise Tony's play??

Answer-- he was tryin' to piss off Henson fans... screw that, I ain't interested in reading that kind of crap...

I never understand that either. U hit it right no the money. either when they talk of Henson, they chuck Romo down the bus and vise-versa. they were both dallas cowboys' @ one time (together). wuts the diff? we all want the best for Dallas, incredible we have division between our QBs.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I didn't get to see the game live and have just recently watched the recorded version.

Romo looked unreal to me. I saw the 349-yard stat line and figured he had a nice game but never imagined anything like this.

He still makes some rookie errors -- the interceptions, the near fumble when moving the ball to center field to set up the field goal in overtime. But the more he plays, the more "special" he looks. I know it's rare to call a former undrafted player special but man, he looks it at times.

That gunslinger mentality is gonna get him into trouble but it is also his best friend at times. It's interesting watching because he seems capable of turning it on and off between manager and gun slinger, which strikes me as somewhat rare. He'll check down all night when nothing's there, but he also knows when and how to avoid the rush and to set things up.

He reminds me a little of a great passing point guard in basketball. His eyes are always downfield and a play is seemingly never over with him behind center. His field vision is uncanny.

I know, I know. All is not positive with him, and this just represents the good. I'm sure you can counter with some bad, too. But I think it's clearly time we all completely rearrange any preconceived notions about Romo's skill based on his being an undrafted guy.

The skills are there. What happens with them is anyone's guess.

On a related note, did we really hit this nicely on Hurd and Rector? Even if they're just flashes in the pan, they're seemingly good flashes in the pan. :)

On a side but related note, I would have liked to have seen how that intercepted pass in the end zone would have resulted if anyone other than Copper was on the receiving end.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
silverbear said:

I completely agree

Smith22

Reaction score
I'll wait for the replay, but it seems like Romo did pretty well with a few mistakes. Hopefully he can play like that if Bledsoe goes down. I know I feel more comfortable now about the QB position and the lack of depth then I did coming into this season.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Smith22 said:
I'll wait for the replay, but it seems like Romo did pretty well with a few mistakes. Hopefully he can play like that if Bledsoe goes down. I know I feel more comfortable now about the QB position and the lack of depth then I did coming into this season.

Let us know your opinion after seeing the replay.

When I saw his stats, I figured it was a good game but the two interceptions stuck out.

But, I dunno, seeing the game gave me a different perspective. He had at least six highlight reel plays where he pulled something out of his butt.

Heck, the game-tying touchdown was of that variety. It's amazing how he can roll around in the pocket and sling it 25 yards down field for a big completion.