Thoughts on special teams coach Bone Fassel

quickccc

Reaction score
I had wonder if another KO return option would be Rico Dowdle, ...It's baffling with Pollard since he was so terrific at it in college,
His college production and his 2nd gear speed is the reason why I believe Bones will go with Pollard as long as he can.

Cedrick Wilson is listed as backup behind Pollard, but I question his long gear explosiveness - that's like having Cole Beasley as a KO returner. :p

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Totally overrated. He is constantly caught off guard by other teams fakes. Only ticky tack penalties against the opposition has saved him from looking like a total idiot

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have no issue with Fossel believing his unit can make a good play since they do sometimes. I blame Mike for being the idiot that lets him run a trick play at our own 20.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Keep him. In an otherwise dismal season I like being surprised by the special teams.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nope. Sometimes he does perhaps, but that is not always the case

exactly no different then OC DC etc STC does make calls but surely they cleared by MM..typically already had the call in as most late game 3rd down call in must have TD scenario they know they are going for ti on 4th down if 3rd fails, that call most likely they said if we dont get the 1st , throw that trickeration in , they could have called it off with time out or some word they yell out but why we saw the play actually worked , Ced didnt throw it..bad call in that momenet but horrible execution's..

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Mixed bag so far. Bring him back next year, but keep the leash short.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on new Special Teams coach John "Bones" Fassel so far ?

How do grade the Cowboys special teams work from coach Bones this year thus far ?

When I had heard that Bones was free and the Rams were not gonna renew his contract, I admit that I was totally taken by surprised and even elated that the Cowboys had signed him on here.

Bones has a rep known for being the most aggressive and most exotic special teams coach around in the NFL. He had a reputation for challenging opposing special teams unit and he could take to fake punts and onside kicks at any given moment. The HCs he's under had to give him the green light to try such tactics.

Impressed with Bones ?
.... or Not ? :rolleyes:

Send him packing..................

black label

Reaction score
hes just trying trickage for when it does matter, hes safe in my bokage

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
If we’re point shaving and making future opponents think we will try any stupid thing imaginable then he’s been great.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
I think he's been absolutely atrocious. Sad that its probably an improvement over what we've seen the last few years. I still say he needs to pack his bags.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on new Special Teams coach John "Bones" Fassel so far ?

How do grade the Cowboys special teams work from coach Bones this year thus far ?

When I had heard that Bones was free and the Rams were not gonna renew his contract, I admit that I was totally taken by surprised and even elated that the Cowboys had signed him on here.

Bones has a rep known for being the most aggressive and most exotic special teams coach around in the NFL. He had a reputation for challenging opposing special teams unit and he could take to fake punts and onside kicks at any given moment. The HCs he's under had to give him the green light to try such tactics.

Impressed with Bones ?
.... or Not ? :rolleyes:

He’s an elite coach.

I hope he survives the coaching purge in January.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Playing aggressive = taking risks that work
Playing stupid = taking risks that don’t work

That is the line between aggressive and stupid.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I like aggressiveness, but there is a difference between being aggressive and being reckless and stupid
Yeah, when it works it's aggressive and when it doesn't it's reckless and stupid! :D

pancakeman

Reaction score
It's hard logic: if your coach only takes risks when they work, well they weren't actually risks then.