Thoughts on special teams coach Bone Fassel

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on new Special Teams coach John "Bones" Fassel so far ?

How do grade the Cowboys special teams work from coach Bones this year thus far ?

When I had heard that Bones was free and the Rams were not gonna renew his contract, I admit that I was totally taken by surprised and even elated that the Cowboys had signed him on here.

Bones has a rep known for being the most aggressive and most exotic special teams coach around in the NFL. He had a reputation for challenging opposing special teams unit and he could take to fake punts and onside kicks at any given moment. The HCs he's under had to give him the green light to try such tactics.

Impressed with Bones ?
.... or Not ? :rolleyes:

The Rams probably wish they still had him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I like him. He's innovative. I don't always agree with when MM decides to employ a ST trick play but when called upon, Bones always has a play up his sleeve.

conner01

Reaction score
ST's have been better, but they insist on keeping Pollard making dumb choices on returning KO's at times, knocks the grade down a bit. But not a lot.
But a little impressed as the have improved so much from last year without prep time, and with less players. I think they need better blocking setting up returns on KO's and PR's, but with more practice time and better players, that will improve.
I don’t get pollard being back there
Love him in the offense but he doesn’t make good decisions back there
Bones has done great but we’ve had some bonehead decisions made on ST. Not sure who’s idea they were but the HC is responsible to make decisions on fake punts and such so it’s really his decision even if not his idea

Jarntt

Reaction score
Yeah, when it works it's aggressive and when it doesn't it's reckless and stupid! :D
No. Game situation tells you stupid. When you see it’s a fake for that first split second and before you Even know if it will succeed or not, if you immediately think “*** are they doing” like A couple times against Washington...that’s reckless and stupid regardless of how it turns out