Thoughts on the game...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Positives:

Pass rush looked better. Still not nearly there yet, but the effort was a lot better today. Especially by Ware. Even when he was blocked, he fought hard.

Collins had 79 yards passing after 1 pass. He finished with 218. We held him to 140 passing yards after that one bomb to Moss.

Moss didn't score. Hey, he didn't even have a great game other then the one bomb.

4 sacks by our D. The Pass rush was improved, but most of those sacks were coverage sacks. A sign that our secondary stepped it up this week.

Negatives:

We've been run over by probably the two worst run offenses in the NFL. We have problems stopping power backs. It's like our DL and LBs are "Catching" the ball carrier, and when you "Catch" a power back he's gonna knock you back a few yards. Hopefully once our DL and LBs get more comfortable in the 3-4 they'll start reading their plays faster and start making some tackles in the backfield.

Our OL gave up way too much pressure to a team that SUCKS at pressuring the QB. The raiders were getting push right up the middle, the last place we want Bledsoe to get pressured.

Julius Jones... I hope to hell he's hurt cuz if he's not hurt then his problems are all mental. Eventhough they stuffed our run most of the day, he DID have a few holes that he just completely missed. Too many times he just Troy Hambrick'd his way through there and just ran into his OL.

WRs... two relatively easy sideline catches should of been made, but weren't.

Playcalling ... I don't mind the playcalling for most of the game. I like the idea of trying to establish your dominance by pounding the ball over and over, but the playcalling on the last three plays were horrible.

Defense... seems we're the same old defense of 2-3 years ago. Bend but don't break. I thought the 3-4 was suppose to disrupt an offense and force turnovers? If we're gonna just rush Ware 90% of the time we might as well just go back to the 4-3.

Random thought... call me crazy, but on either 3rd or 4th down at the end of the game I would of spread the D out and ran a QB draw. Yes, I know Bledsoe doesn't run well, but I guarantee they wouldn't expect it. He is 240 lbs. If he were able to get a little steam going he could of scored. It would of been better then throwing a 4th down pass a yard short of the TD/FD.

That is all.

Barrister

Reaction score
I agree w/ most everything you said. I think another negative was our kickoff and punt return coverage. Again, the Raiders had MUCH too good field possession.

As for our run defense, I think the last couple of games has exposed the weakness in our front 7: our inside linebackers. I've been watching our first 4 games closely, and these guys (James, Nguyen, and Fowler) just aren't getting it done. Either they're too hesitant to hit the hole, or are just not physical enough to disrupt the run blocking and get to the ball carrier. Even worse, b/c of their inability to get to the QB (we've seen Nguyen whiff on QB sacks this preseason, and I haven't seen James or Fowler get anywhere near the QB) we lose one of the key advantages of the 3-4: the ability to blitz from multiple spots. Instead, we rely almost exclusively on the pass rush of our OLBs.

Lastly, I don't blame Julius for the running woes. I think the run blocking has been bad; it seems that there's always one of our OL getting pushed into the backfield, cutting off his cut-back lanes. Plus, I've noticed that in a lot of our running plays the backside pursuit gets to the runner (probably b/c they don't fear the threat of a bootleg from Bledsoe). IMHO, this is probably why Julius hasn't been good at being patient and letting the blocking develop or looking for holes: he is not used to having that much time in the backfield.

The solution? I'm not sure. An occasional bootleg could keep the defenses honest, but Bledsoe's lack of mobility could really hurt us (like last week, when Bryant Young sacked him on that one bootleg). Perhaps less 2 back (or 1 back and one blocking TE in the backfield) formations, and more simple 2 TE formations. I don't think Julius needs a lead blocker as much as he needs someone to block the backside pursuit.

Anyways, one final observation. On more than one occasion when RB Barber was in, he was open underneath on 3rd down, but Bledsoe never once looked in his direction and instead threw incompletions elsewhere into tighter coverage. I think Bledsoe needs to stop looking for certain receivers on a given play, and just take what the defense gives him. He clearly was focusing on Glenn on that final play in the endzone, much like he was intent on getting the ball to Keyshawn the play before. I mean, I'm glad he has that much faith in those guys, but he needs to give other guys a chance, too.

Just my two cents.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...in time I'm in favour of lining Ware up at different positions to allow him to rush the passer from different angles.

Keeping in mind that he knows the assignments from those various positions on the field.

Tricked

Fascinated
Reaction score
Rack said:
Random thought... call me crazy, but on either 3rd or 4th down at the end of the game I would of spread the D out and ran a QB draw. Yes, I know Bledsoe doesn't run well, but I guarantee they wouldn't expect it. He is 240 lbs. If he were able to get a little steam going he could of scored. It would of been better then throwing a 4th down pass a yard short of the TD/FD.

That is all.
my first thought when i saw that play was that bledsoe was gonna run it, he woulda made it, he had the room

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Rack, I really have to believe that Julius is hurt. He looks like a copmletely different player than he did this preseason, which is odd considering that's just a month ago. And I'm not talking about his stats sheet, but how he's running. He still had that wiggle to him in the preseason, and he showed his burst. But he's just not running like that anymore. He gets the ball, hunches over, puts both hands on it, and plods forward to the middle of the line and into a lineman. That's not how Julius Jones runs, and that's not how he ran in the preseason, which is why I don't think his performance is due to his increased weight. He looked just fine at that weight this preseason.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale, so far there's been speculation that JJ had a concussion. Well today, Moose mentioned JJ looked injured. Also said it could be a groin pull. Then they showed JJ grab his groin after a run.

So it's very possible he's got an injury that'll never show up on an injury report.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Dale, so far there's been speculation that JJ had a concussion. Well today, Moose mentioned JJ looked injured. Also said it could be a groin pull. Then they showed JJ grab his groin after a run.

So it's very possible he's got an injury that'll never show up on an injury report.

Yeah, I agree. That, and he does "seem" hurt when he gets up all the time. Now, granted, I always thought Emmitt looked that way through the vast majority of his career, too, because of his preference to let the linemen get off him before he attempted to get up from the ground.

DMX690

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Yeah, that's because JJ got hit in the balls on that particular running play, that's why he was grabbing his groin. He only missed one play after that.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Dale said:
Yeah, I agree. That, and he does "seem" hurt when he gets up all the time. Now, granted, I always thought Emmitt looked that way through the vast majority of his career, too, because of his preference to let the linemen get off him before he attempted to get up from the ground.

According to what I heard on the radio ... he was slow getting up, late 4th quarter, well lets just say, he was hit where guys don't like to be hit. ;)

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I have to agree. Watching Jones run today, I kept thinking to myself that he looked hurt.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

...he's going to end up being a hindrance to this team before it gets any better. Hard to plant and cut back with burning pains in your crotch.

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
It seems to me he is afraid to improvise on plays, something he did so well last year. I loved it last year when the middle was clogged, Julius would break to the outside and gain yards out on the edge. Now I don't know if this has to do with an injury or how he is being coached, but something is definetly different about his running style. It wouldn't suprise me in the least to be told about an injury he is suffering at tommorows PC.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMX690 said:
Yeah, that's because JJ got hit in the balls on that particular running play, that's why he was grabbing his groin. He only missed one play after that.
oh yeah? don't recall when the play actually occurred or when Moose made the statement. I just know what he said.

But it was interesting in chat to hear people wanting Thompson to play instead of JJ. Cuz Thompson seemed to get yards that JJ couldn't. Hmmm...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rack said:
It's like our DL and LBs are "Catching" the ball carrier, and when you "Catch" a power back he's gonna knock you back a few yards. Hopefully once our DL and LBs get more comfortable in the 3-4 they'll start reading their plays faster and start making some tackles in the backfield.

Great point, Rack.

I don't think many members here will "get" that.

We are still growing in this defense and it will not be finished until late in the season. But the angry and embittered will still hold the D accountable.

Our OL gave up way too much pressure to a team that SUCKS at pressuring the QB. The raiders were getting push right up the middle, the last place we want Bledsoe to get pressured.

Larry Allen was especially disappointing. It appears that Warren Sapp has had two great games since 2002. Both against Allen.

Julius Jones... I hope to hell he's hurt cuz if he's not hurt then his problems are all mental. Eventhough they stuffed our run most of the day, he DID have a few holes that he just completely missed. Too many times he just Troy Hambrick'd his way through there and just ran into his OL.

I think he is thinking too much.

Last season he was motivated to prove himself. Now that he does not have to, he is starting to become robotic and is not running the same. Others have noticed it, and I am beginning to believe them.

Defense... seems we're the same old defense of 2-3 years ago. Bend but don't break. I thought the 3-4 was suppose to disrupt an offense and force turnovers? If we're gonna just rush Ware 90% of the time we might as well just go back to the 4-3.

Our problem with the defense is that we are too vanilla.

Part of the charm of a 3-4 is that is gives you options.

We are rushing Ware constantly.

We are not rushing many of the other three LBers, nor are we rushing safeties and especially corners, as other teams do.

That just spells a lack of imagination and also a lack of confidence in the players as a whole.

That is all.

Bledsoe appears motivated to show how mobile he can be.

I think your idea would have been brilliant.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
I basically agree with this post and REALLY agree with that statement. I even said the same thing watching the game. If Bledsoe doesn't make it on 3rd down I no huddle the 4th down with a call designed to get into the end zone not short of it.

Vman

Reaction score
Rack said:
Playcalling ... I don't mind the playcalling for most of the game.

Rack, I concur with most of your opinions here with the exception of the one above.

The play calling is - for a lack of a better word - boring. I have found myself bored stiff until late into the 4th quarter. Then boredom turns to utter panic and then elation or horror.

Its a very simplistic offense.

1st down - run.
2nd down - short pass over the middle.
3rd down - pass attempt 1 yard shy of first down marker.

Its stupid and basic. There is another thread in here stating we are a 9-7 team?!?

Hello? We're lucky if we go 6-10 again.

If I said to you that you have Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson as wideouts and Drew Bledsoe as your quarterback, would you immediately say, 'YES! by God, I'll run an ultra-conservative offense!!'

It does not appear to be working. At best, with this offensive philosophy, we can hope for 8-8.

But exactly where does that leave us?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Vman, Bledsoe didn't have a lot of time to throw the ball today. So who our WRs are is irrelevant.

It does annoy me how our OL played well the first 3 games, then we play against a horrible pass rushing team and give up 4 sacks (plus a lot of hurries). Our OL didn't come to play today.

Vman

Reaction score
Rack said:
Vman, Bledsoe didn't have a lot of time to throw the ball today. So who our WRs are is irrelevant.

I'll give you today. But this offensive philosophy extends beyond today's game.

We're getting close to either an official or unofficial taking over of the play calling - by someone.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Vman said:
I'll give you today. But this offensive philosophy extends beyond today's game.

We're getting close to either an official or unofficial taking over of the play calling - by someone.

Let Jerruh do it, he couldn't be any worse. Heck, fire the whole staff and coach himself, at least he wouldn't be wasting his money and the results would be about the same, might lose a few more (actually, might WIN a few more).