Thoughts on the game

Sydla

Reaction score
Obviously this is prefaced with the reality that often times we were facing guys who might not even make the Raiders 53, nevertheless:

- There looks to be some players and depth in the secondary. Thomas really stood out last night. And frankly, I have some concerns about the pass rush so having a strong secondary might be very important for us. Booth got beat but then had some nice plays later. He looks like a nice 4th or 5th CB.

- Granted, Lawrence and Parsons aren't playing but there doesn't appear to be "much" at DE behind them. I thought Kneeland looked good against the run but he looks pretty blah at this point as a pass rusher. With that, though, is the understanding that rookies often aren't big impact players at DE save for the elite guys and Kneeland was admittedly raw coming into the league. This team could really use a backup like a Fowler IMO.

- Lance was ehhhh. He struggled early against some of the Raiders 1st teamers and got better as the game went on. Was that him settling in or the fact the level of talent on D dropped off during the game? He is definitely a real threat with his legs. He still seems to lack any touch on some of his passes but at least this game he made a nice throw on that one fade whereas last week he made a terrible throw on a similar play.

- LB looks like they should be OK assuming Overshown isn't going to be always nicked up. With him, Liufau and a couple others, they are certainly going to be able to get out there and fly around. Liufau looked decent, showing good athleticism but a couple of times he overran or got churned up due to his aggressiveness and that was an issue he had at ND.

- I still am not sure what to think of DT. But the fact even Jerry kind of hinted they need help, I think we can say it's still a concern.

- Vaughn looked pretty good but he's unforunately, a situational guy at best.

- Schoonmaker was decent enough. Setting aside the fact we wasted a 2nd rounder on him, he looks like a competent backup to Ferguson.

- Both Guyton and Beebe looked good. Guyton got some nice reps against the better players on the Raiders DL. It makes you wonder if there is ever a thought of Beebe playing LG, Tyler Smith playing LT and Guyton playing RT if Steele can't rebound in Year 2 removed from the ACL injury.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Obviously this is prefaced with the reality that often times we were facing guys who might not even make the Raiders 53, nevertheless:

- There looks to be some players and depth in the secondary. Thomas really stood out last night. And frankly, I have some concerns about the pass rush so having a strong secondary might be very important for us. Booth got beat but then had some nice plays later. He looks like a nice 4th or 5th CB.

- Granted, Lawrence and Parsons aren't playing but there doesn't appear to be "much" at DE behind them. I thought Kneeland looked good against the run but he looks pretty blah at this point as a pass rusher. With that, though, is the understanding that rookies often aren't big impact players at DE save for the elite guys and Kneeland was admittedly raw coming into the league. This team could really use a backup like a Fowler IMO.

- Lance was ehhhh. He struggled early against some of the Raiders 1st teamers and got better as the game went on. Was that him settling in or the fact the level of talent on D dropped off during the game? He is definitely a real threat with his legs. He still seems to lack any touch on some of his passes but at least this game he made a nice throw on that one fade whereas last week he made a terrible throw on a similar play.

- LB looks like they should be OK assuming Overshown isn't going to be always nicked up. With him, Liufau and a couple others, they are certainly going to be able to get out there and fly around. Liufau looked decent, showing good athleticism but a couple of times he overran or got churned up due to his aggressiveness and that was an issue he had at ND.

- I still am not sure what to think of DT. But the fact even Jerry kind of hinted they need help, I think we can say it's still a concern.

- Schoonmaker was decent enough. Setting aside the fact we wasted a 2nd rounder on him, he looks like a competent backup to Ferguson.

- Both Guyton and Beebe looked good. Guyton got some nice reps against the better players on the Raiders DL. It makes you wonder if there is ever a thought of Beebe playing LG, Tyler Smith playing LT and Guyton playing RT if Steele can't rebound in Year 2 removed from the ACL injury.
Crazy thought: I actually really like the idea of Smith at RT. He fits the the mold of an Erik Williams to a T. Dont see it happening, I think Richards is Steele Contingency. However I like Richards as a LG better with Smith at RT

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Often times they were facing 1st stringers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Trey was not ehhhh

He had maybe 4 bad throws all night
Ehhh is average. That's what he looked like to me tonight (granted that's better than last week). A lot of safe, shorter throws, but he still had some issues early. He averaged 6.6 YPA which is pretty low. He did show his athleticism for sure.

You guys are desperate for him to show enough to continue the Dak is done drum beat, so I get that. But Lance still needs a ton of work, particularly in the passing game. And at the end of the day all of this won't matter all that much if Dak signs an extension.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Trey had a pretty good showing, IMO. His mobility is very good and threatens defenses in ways most QB’s don’t. In the regular season, the key would be putting together a game plan that would play to his strength’s and use his legs to extend drives.

Now, clearly, Trey isn’t a threat to Dak and isn’t ready to be a starter in this league, but if he show’s pretty well in the last PS game, I’d be fine with rolling with him as the backup. That’s just IMO, of course. I think they could do enough with the play calling to have some success in the regular season and move the ball if Dak gets hurt. Let Lance continue to grow and see what you have toward the end of the season.

If the coaches like what they’ve seen in January, then do what you can to sign him for a couple more seasons, if possible.

Like I said, he’s no threat to Prescott but the guy definitely has huge upside once he’s had enough time to develop some.

That’s just my two cents worth on the backup QB.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Ehhh is average. That's what he looked like to me tonight. A lot of safe, shorter throws, but he had some issues early. He showed his athleticism for sure.

You guys are desperate for him to show enough to continue the Dak is done drum beat, so I get that. But Lance still needs a ton of work. And at the end of the day all of this won't matter all that much if Dak signs an extension.
Me saying he looked better than average has nothing to do with Dak. He had a few off-target throws (same as Dak or any other QB for that matter). Ill go a step further and say the pro-Dak crew are the ones that are the biased ones when it comes to Trey’s play.

Instead of evaluating him as a 24 year old with barely any NFL snaps, you are comparing him to:

1. An 8-year Veteran QB that has played with multiple all-pro weapons during his tenure

2. A Rookie Dak that played behind the best OL in the league and a 1600 yard rusher

Give Trey a 1600 yard rusher and combine it with his running ability and tell me this team wont compete for a playoff spot…

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Schoonmaker was decent enough. Setting aside the fact we wasted a 2nd rounder on him
:facepalm:

I can't believe the disrespect he gets in here. He was taken at the very end of the 2nd and then got hurt and was lucky to even get on the field last year. Despite his struggles, he played a considerable amount on special teams and offense providing blocking while still learning the offense. He deserves credit for fighting through his rookie year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Me saying he looked better than average has nothing to do with Dak. He had a few off-target throws (same as Dak or any other QB for that matter). Ill go a step further and say the pro-Dak crew are the ones that are the biased ones when it comes to Trey’s play.

Instead of evaluating him as a 24 year old with barely any NFL snaps, you are comparing him to:

1. An 8-year Veteran QB that has played with multiple all-pro weapons during his tenure

2. A Rookie Dak that played behind the best OL in the league and a 1600 yard rusher

Give Trey a 1600 yard rusher and combine it with his running ability and tell me this team wont compete for a playoff spot…
Considering I am not in the pro-Dak crowd and actually wanted them to consider going to him to seek a trade...............

I am not comparing him to Dak at all. Just calling it like I see it. He shows some of the same issues he had in San Fran - late on throws, struggling at times to see plays develop, often lacks touch on short passes, etc. He definitely looked better than the previous week but in a league where you are going to have to make some big throws, regardless of how well you run it, I don't believe Lance is there yet. I don't think this team is a playoff team with Trey Lance at QB as he currently looks right now.

Cowboys are in a tough spot here IMO. To me, they should have blown this entire thing up in January and started over. But they didn't and appear to be close to signing Dak long term. I don't like it but the reality is with their moves and where this roster is, Dak is, unfortunately, the better option at this point.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
:facepalm:

I can't believe the disrespect he gets in here. He was taken at the very end of the 2nd and then got hurt and was lucky to even get on the field last year. Despite his struggles, he played a considerable amount on special teams and offense providing blocking while still learning the offense. He deserves credit for fighting through his rookie year.
To me, a 2nd round pick should be a bigger impact guy than what you are likely to get from Schoonmaker at this point. He's nothing all that special at TE. So if he can be a solid backup, great, but the reality is the Cowboys likely need their 2nd round picks to be bigger impact guys (especially considering they sit out FA) than what Schoon likely will be. So to me, he's kind of a wasted 2nd round pick if all he amounts to is a decent backup to Ferguson.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Considering I am not in the pro-Dak crowd and actually wanted them to consider going to him to seek a trade...............

I am not comparing him to Dak at all. Just calling it like I see it. He shows some of the same issues he had in San Fran - late on throws, struggling at times to see plays develop, often lacks touch on short passes, etc. He definitely looked better than the previous week but in a league where you are going to have to make some big throws, regardless of how well you run it, I don't believe Lance is there yet. I don't think this team is a playoff team with Trey Lance at QB as he currently looks right now.
When you watch other young quarterbacks play you can see that Trey just seems “off”. If he was a rookie I wouldn’t think much of it but it’s concerning he’s a 4 year pro. The guy can run though I’ll give him that.

But even comparing him to Rush…I don’t know if I would cut Rush for him. I’d have to take three guys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To me, a 2nd round pick should be a bigger impact guy than what you are likely to get from Schoonmaker at this point. He's nothing all that special at TE. So if he can be a solid backup, great, but the reality is the Cowboys likely need their 2nd round picks to be bigger impact guys (especially considering they sit out FA) than what Schoon likely will be. So to me, he's kind of a wasted 2nd round pick if all he amounts to is a decent backup to Ferguson.
Yeah they’ve wasted the pick the minute they took him. I’m expecting a backup nothing more nothing less.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

:lmao::muttley::laugh::muttley::lmao: